1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wow - no MSN traffic on a huge traffic word

Discussion in 'Bing' started by gford, Feb 23, 2006.

Hi all,

I just thought this was a bit nuts. So I rank #8 on MSN for a keyword that is searched for according to wordtracker 10,840x per day and overture 9,141x per day.

Now I understand I am not #1 and also not on yahoo/google yet top 10 (but I will! newish site and very competitive term), but here is the kicker.

I have ZERO hits for that term. Isn't that a bit odd?

gford, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Goes to show you how valuable being ranked well on msn is.

Crazy_Rob, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  3. jfontestad

jfontestad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are yous ure that's per day and not per month?
    Plus MSN is only good for 1 and 2 positions ... never saw any or much traffic from 3 and up...

jfontestad, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  4. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a site ranked #5 for a keyword that wordtracker estimates 97940 a day/Overture 1557131 a day and the site pulls 1200 visitors a day. I'm pretty sure if I get better ranked I will hit the higher traffic numbers

l234244, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  5. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    laughable aint it?

But I do have 3500 hits from MSN this month. Of course Google is 23,000 and Yahoo 20,000

gford, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  6. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    hum. I need to find a keyword with that many searches per month. Thats huge.. mind PMing it to me? :p

gford, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  7. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's definitely odd, and there's probably something wrong. You should be getting hits there. But sometimes those keyword trackers have issues. There have been threads in here where people come in and say "I rank number one for bldfsafi39, and it gets 1000 hits a day! Why don't I get visitors?!?" If the term is a nonsense word that your gut tells you no one would search for, they probably don't. Automated queries can often increase the searches, and I have seen some strange results because of this sometimes.

There's a singular/plural issue that can distort things, but that doesn't sound like it here - wordtracker separates out singular/plural, and overture combines the two. So people a lot of times optimize for the wrong one, but since wordtracker shows 10k hits too that probably isn't it.

It could also be something with either your site or the sites above it. Your title tags may be something that doesn't entice visitors - are they going to be interested in your site based on that text? Do you have the same title as all the results around you?

One final explanation I can think of is just that MSN gets different visitors from the Yahoo people that Overture is tracking. All the terms I track get different #'s of visitors from what you might expect from the Overture results - it's not just a straight percentage thing like you'd expect (i.e., 1/3d of yahoo or whatever).

kneukm03, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  8. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks kneukm03,

I can PM you the keyword if your interested in seeing more. Appreciate your input. It's a game related site and gets about 500 visitors a day (again, its a new site, so its ok for so new), just not from MSN for that particular term.

gford, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  9. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:

Its not too difficult to find, its probably in the top 10 searched words on the internet :)

l234244, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  10. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, send me a PM of it and I'll take a look. I'm not that familiar with the game niche but I can let you know if I notice anything in general.

kneukm03, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  11. wholesalechecklist

wholesalechecklist Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you guys find out how much traffic you get from each search engine?

wholesalechecklist, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  12. Saadh

Saadh Peon

Best Answers:
    I use awstats, but there must be better stat programs.

Saadh, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  13. lschmidt

lschmidt Peon

Best Answers:
    I use awstats too, I like it. The only thing I wish it did better was show search engine referral data better. Like daily stats, versus total, and better data with the search terms used.

lschmidt, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  14. hyipfarm

hyipfarm Peon

Best Answers:
    i wont go for it :p

keyword with more searches means more competition and it is difficult to rank well with those keywords.

hyipfarm, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  15. WhatUdo!

WhatUdo! Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a site ranked in #1 for a few search words and have only gotten around 12 hits from them for this month.

They're not searched for as much as yours but it still gives you a basic idea.

WhatUdo!, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  16. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    well my site is on the top of msn for the word which has around ~300 entries in wordtracker and they had said that this phrase gets around 150 hits/day...well till today, after one month almost,my awstat has still not shown a single msn visitor.

poseidon, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  17. psyberweb

psyberweb Peon

Best Answers:
    me too...guys im number two for a keyword getting a search for about 31,516 per day on overture. is this normal. so far i dont get any hits.

psyberweb, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  18. nufcfan

nufcfan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i paid for someone to do my keywords amongst other seo things so how do i find out my keywords that rank highly on search engines.

nufcfan, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  19. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    The only way to get good traffic from msn is to have lots of content rich pages targetting different keywords.

And or go for a really high traffic keyword, like 1,000,000 searches + per month. I know for a fact that a keyword like that will give you 500+ visitors per day.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 28, 2006 IP