1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Convert static site to wordpress

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by jackslounge, Feb 11, 2008.

Hey all,

I have a project at work - I need to move a large site (hundreds of pages) from and old CMS which I know very little about, other than the fact that it uses ASP. There are multiple paths to individual pages, so a single rewrite rule will not work.

We need to also maintain link structure like this - http://hurolinan.com/resources/resource.asp?LocatorCode=273 - so that search results will see the new page (or be redirected to it).

I want wordpress to be in the root folder.

Is this at all possible?

jackslounge, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  2. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The old link structure isn't very SEO friendly, moving to a new CMS is probably the best time for you to change it.

As for the actual move, you'll have to manually extract your pages from your old CMS and import them into your WordPress database. If the links to other pages are hardcoded into your other articles (not some sort of plugin), I suspect you'll have to either manually alter them to use new link structure or find a WordPress plugin (like Related Posts) that can do something similar.

mizaks, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  3. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm really not sure if you will be able to exactly match that structure.
    You may want to look into two wordpress plugins advanced permalinks and redirection both were developed my the same person.

Best of luck

MarRome, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  4. arcguy

arcguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should CMS not Blogging Software like WP, If you think they are hard to manage, you can take online tutorials..

arcguy, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  5. yooozy

yooozy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's right I agree I think you should stay in CMS it's better for such type of sites otherwise you have to play with database take the database from your old site then install a new WP and implement it you can google some tutorials for this particularly

good luck :)

yooozy, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  6. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the advice, we went with wordpress.

original: bienalto.com
    blog: bienalto.com/blog

:)

jackslounge, Feb 17, 2008 IP