1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ, why? why?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Bohol, Feb 15, 2008.

I've seen several useless, meaningless sites listed in DMOZ and they are just attached to geocities.com/subfolder.

So, DMOZ prefers subfolder than a subdomain?

Can I submit a site as subdomain?

Bohol, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    The open directory is not interested in such semantics. It is interested in unique and useful content. Indeed you could paint information on the rear end of a horse, photograph it and publish it and the ODP editors would be less interested in whether it was a mule or a donkey but rather whether the end users of the directory would find the information useful.

nebuchadrezzar, Feb 15, 2008 IP
    robjones and Alucard like this.
  3. beow

beow Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, the open directory is not interested in any semantics at all. They are interested in their own resources only that their mods are submitting for themselves.

beow, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  4. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh dear...life is not fair.

budalata, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  5. sportiana

sportiana Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some good sites that never get accepted, some less good get accepted.
    Both sub-folders and sub-domains are accepted.
    You can submit a site as sub-domain.

sportiana, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  6. mizpah14

mizpah14 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am still waiting for my site to get listed. If DMOZ needs more editor to help them with the backlogs, why are not they taking more editors to help? With many editorial applicants being refused, it seems to me that DMOZ is becoming a self-serving directory for the editors already in.

mizpah14, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  7. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people believe in conspiracy theory behind DMOZ. I just don't know but I wish to know someday.

Bohol, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  8. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    another peon strikes again..... do people really just join DP to slam the ODP??

I dont get why there is so much of this here... give us a break!

MOG, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ being a place for centering on the sites owned by it's editors may revolve around the fact that many-a-editor has their site listed, while many non-editors are trying to get in, but still waiting for years....

This is likely compounded by the notion that orders from the top have placed an editors site within thousands of categories with thousands of deep links, many of which point to syndicated/scrapped content rather then something unique and helpful to the end user.

So from the outside looking in, in many cases it DOES look like an issue of self interest. With that, I do not blame the peon for being confused, as there simply has not been much done to expel such beliefs on the part of the ODP.

Qryztufre, Feb 17, 2008 IP