1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which programming Language Is In The Most Demand?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by tesla, Jan 29, 2006.

I'm thinking of taking a few college classes and teaching myself a programming language, but I want to know which languages are in demand. Which languages have the most potential to bring in large income?

Which languages are the best for certain tasks?

tesla, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Desktop or Web based?

T0PS3O, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  3. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    as far as the web goes, the most potential for income. Its hard to say.I find PHP is easy to implement, more and more websites are going with it, especially smaller ones however asp.net is the corporate language. Big companies will pay good money for asp.net driven sites. In addition if you spend days or weeks writing a complicated script, you are more likely to be able to charge good money for the asp.net one. Since there are so many free php scripts out there its hard to find one worth paying money for.

Java is another programming language that covers web based softwqare and desktop, it could potentially bring some good money. But I dont know for sure.

jrd1mra, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    For Web you could consider Ruby & Ruby on Rails. That might give you a competitive advantage since it's still relatively new.

T0PS3O, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  5. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm interested in programming for the web primarily. I just got a book on Java. I'm really interested in it is because I know a lot of games are made using it. I've seen people selling games to webmasters here and seems like a lucrative way to make some extra income.

I've heard about asp.net. My uncle told me how lucrative it is. I think I will learn those two languages, and maybe touch on php.

I appreciate the advice. :)

tesla, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  6. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Peon

Best Answers:
    I would get familiar with PHP or ASP, Javascript, SQL query syntax and you will do just fine on the web.

Breckenridge, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  7. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just learn object Oriented techniques and SQL. You will then be able to learn any language.

infonote, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  8. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    If you will focused in WEB services and application.. I suggest .NET Programming

melfan, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  9. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with infonote, I've been programming in C for almost 10 years and today I can almost code in any language. PHP+MYSQL on Unix/Linux is my favorite combo for projects with less than 2,000,000 database entries.

Breckenridge, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  10. xfairguy

xfairguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go with PHP, also for web games Flash games are much better than Java games.

xfairguy, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would go with python ... you can use it for web development and for various standalone applications ... i made complete standalone application for home bussines with python and glade ! ... it is just so easy to learn python!!

iatbm, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  12. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, first let's set the foundation for what I'm going to answer.

When I picked a language/platform to develop for(for money of course) that was most(money per hour) demand, I looked for minimal competition, large customers (deep pockets) understanding high TCO. Also, had to have attributes/features for both desktop and web, so I can stay making money.

So, I needed to pick something NOT taught in college. Something used by big telco's and pharm's. Something that I don't have to work hard at to make 50+ hour without trying. I picked Lotus Notes/Domino as my contracting platform. (I only use PHP/MySQL for my own, very low TCO).

1. Not many people know WTF lotus notes/domino is. Low competition.
    2. Not college taught.
    3. High license fees, so only customers with money use it.
    4. Large customers over manage projects/releases, so cha'ching when being paid hourly.
    5. My main competition is from people who are capitalist oriented and willing to self-teach, not computer school loving geeks, so they are Chinese and Indian H1-b's and greencard holders. This means I get the leg up for speaking/writing/reading English. Adds about upward flexibility 10/hr to my negotiations. :D
    6. Oh, the language is convoluted, causing extra hours in planing/writing/testing; So, again Cha'Ching!

Fact: I get offers each week starting at $50/hr as 1099 and a little more for C2C. I don't have my computer consultant resume public, not for 2+ years now, and not looking for consulting work.

So, you decide, do what I like PHP/MySQL for squat, or do hair pulling out high priced work in Lotus Notes/Domino. ;) Cha'Ching!

Now for years what I've shared with you has been a secret of Lotus Notes consultants, many just get contracted out and nap for hours in their cubes making a couple grand a week; and since I hate those types, I don't feel like I out'd anyone. :D Good luck in any of your decisions.

hth,

tom

TommyD, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  13. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

From CNNMoney.com February 3, 2006

- Michael

Michael, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  14. khudania

khudania Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I work for an IT company and being an IT professional I know the in demand language is java. Its the fastest and easiest way to get a job in IT field. And yes, its not simply java language that we knew some years ago ie applets and swing but the complete J2ee (ejb,jms,webservices)framework provided by sun microsystem, is the most lucrative. People are getting a lot of jobs in this field. But these languages are used by bigger companies with huge ERP systems and not by the small companies.
    And the one I like is MQSeries and WBIMB, its like if you know these you are for sure getting a very good package.

Edit: I misspelled fastest

khudania, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  15. infonote

Best Answers:
    khudania: i will need to make programs using EJB. Can you recommend any websites/tutorials.

Thanks in advance

infonote, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  16. khudania

khudania Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can get a lot of help from Sun J2ee tutorial
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/learning/tutorial/index.html

I will also like you to download some IDE (like the NetBeans IDE )which will make your life a bit easier to write code in j2ee. A lot of code is generated by the IDE itself and the developer should essentially concentrate on the business logic only.
    Another tutorial I want to suggest is this

http://www.tusc.com.au/tutorial/html/

khudania, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  17. infonote

Best Answers:
    khudania: thanks a lot. Yes i downloaded Netbeans. I will play around to get used to the IDE.

infonote, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  18. fapfap

fapfap Peon

Best Answers:
    A search on hotjobs a couple weeks ago (haven't checked again lately) had 10x the results for "ASP" as the search term, as opposed to "PHP"

Personally, I'm partial to php, but I can't afford it as a full time job.

fapfap, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  19. zhisede

zhisede Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP and .NET

zhisede, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  20. HN Will

HN Will Guest

Best Answers:
    For the college class - take Java. Hands down.

For the web and potentially big bucks - learn Ruby and the Rails framework (or another good web 2.0-friendly framework) and you'll be very marketable.

HN Will, Feb 20, 2006 IP