1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is hijacking 404 Error Pages

Discussion in 'Google' started by nsusa, Feb 11, 2008.

1. phinelinda

phinelinda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SO now they really know all about us ? :D LOL... The Truth is out there ?

phinelinda, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  2. Diablos

Diablos Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmm matt's post is interesting, so you can override it server side.

As a side note I can't believe how mnay people posted "just uninstall it" as a reply or suggestion in this thread. How stupid. As webmasters we don't care about our visit being thrown around its all my visitor traffic I am thinking about. Never mind though since we can get rid of it our side it shouldn't be a problem.

Diablos, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  3. MattCutts

MattCutts Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, cormac. I don't get over here that often, but it's good to stop by sometimes.

MattCutts, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  4. nishugoyal

nishugoyal Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it will be non-evil if Google removes its search option.

If Google wants to do community service the toolbar should only show 404 error and link to index page of the website instead of stealing away the visitor.

Also if I look for say h*ttp://mywiki/someextension
    I really don't want to see Google showing me options where to find it using Google search.

nishugoyal, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  5. Bloomtools

Bloomtools Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's good move, there is no meaning of 404 pages or the pages are under constuction.

Bloomtools, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  6. ZooBHosT

ZooBHosT Peon

Best Answers:
    oh man that is going to really effect the people who purchase dropped domains and such. Worse yet if people have written 404 pages to get people back on track.

ZooBHosT, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  7. ionix5891

ionix5891 Peon

Best Answers:

see google are trully evil! they are f**king around now with us web masters, and I couldn't care less about search engine rankings i get a million page views to all my sites daily and only 2% traffic comes from search engines

MattCuts i hope you are reading this you did reply few posts above and pass on the message to the not so bright spark at Google who came up with this scummy idea, google's colors are showing now

ionix5891, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  8. ionix5891

ionix5891 Peon

Best Answers:
    what gives google the right to fiddle with the default behavior if browsers? for Google's own profit??

and dont say you are doing this for the users as alot of users are used to default browser 404 page and this will only confuse them

if you are really doing this for the user why not show live.com or yahoo.com search instead? lets say 50% of time?? oh wait nvm you don't make money from them search engines

Matt you lost all credibility last year with the prank you did which was not funny and now your company starting to use tactics that spyware used to do

im sorry for being harsh but I had it with Google and their "do no evil" crap, as someone said on your blog "Do no Google" and "even Microsoft wouldn't come up with something like this"

and please don't try to spin this it only makes Google look more desparate

ionix5891, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  9. culzboyz

culzboyz Guest

Best Answers:
    google sucks...

culzboyz, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  10. phpgeek

phpgeek Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not surprised at all. Should I? :)

phpgeek, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  11. Frede5

Frede5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is such BullSh*t!!! I'm having the same problem with Yahoo! I'm trying to develop an application which requires me to see my custom 404 page if the wrong page is typed in and even though I've set it correctly in my .htaccess file (yes I've checked it 10 times now and I'm no rookie) it seems that every other time I try it sends me to Yahoo search results. This is such crap! Why do I have to click my back button every time when I really want to see my OWN 404 page! How can this even be legal? I've uninstalled Yahoo's tool bar and it STILL does this. What a pain in the ass.

Frede5, Feb 12, 2011 IP