1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Earn $1,000 a day doing nothing! WTF? Anyone do organic anymore?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by webrehash, Feb 12, 2008.

Looking through the posts on here, does anyone take the time and effort to actually build a good site with quality content in order to actually fulfill a searcher's goal of solving their problem?? Or is it just "click on my ad so I make 8 cents a day and go see my other site and click so I make 6 cents - If I have 200 sites, I can buy a happy meal every day!"

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned in thinking that putting hard work into a site will eventually pay off. It might be a year or two down the road, however. What's everyone's opinion? Quality or quantity?

webrehash, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  2. notorioustrader

notorioustrader Peon

Best Answers:
    Know where you're coming from but if there is no quantity (ie traffic!) viewing your quality site then what's the point of investing loads of time building a fantastic site that no-one sees and doesn't make you money?

Personally I have this problem!! I've built a site (ok, it's far from great!) but can't get traffic........ making the exercise pointless!

notorioustrader, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  3. Gnome

Gnome Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have 6 sites (the ones in my signature arn't mine)

and I have a reason for setting them all up.

For my newest site (unfinished) InterLinky I set it up because I saw lots of interstitial ad networks that pay out 2-5% of there profits to the publishers.I have a 0.50CPM payout, My biggest competition has a 0.28CPM, I payout nearly double.

My first site IEboards I set this up cos Ireland doesn't have a good message board,we have one massive one and lots of smaller ones, All running either a default PHPBB or VBulletin install.

So I decided to setup a social network/message board.

There are just too good examples, Both I setup as they are things I feel were needed.

Gnome, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  4. Possibility

Possibility Peon

Best Answers:
    People want instant gratification - instant results. So they go for mini-sites driven by PPC, mass creation of sites. It takes a long time and a lot of energy to create a good, content rich site, get indexed, and start seeing the revenue come in. Instead of days or even hours, we are talking about months and even years.

However, I think blogging is a nice compromise between the two. Nowadays, you can get a new blog indexed and cataloged by many directories in just a matter of days and start driving visitors to it pretty quickly also. The content is much smaller in length and more manageable I believe.

Possibility, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  5. webrehash

webrehash Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Possibility about the blogs. My blog is new and I noticed it was indexed quite fast. On the other hand, I have some affiliate sites that I'm going organic on for the most part, and the only thing they get visited for is long tail. Slowly indexed. My blog gets more traffic than my other sites, but it might be due to the topic difference between my blog and my sites.

webrehash, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  6. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always have thought about making good content first but then I approach things from a writer's perspective. I like sites that focus on content. If I spend time reading articles on a website there is a good chance that I will bookmark the site and be back.

Quality over quantity any day!

chant, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  7. painthappy

painthappy Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't believe the BS posted in a lot of these places. It's get rich quick schemes feeding off other get rich quick schemes. It's sort of sad.

You can make a lot of money, being an affiliate and selling this book that tells you how to make tons of money... What's the book about? How to make money being an affiliate.

To me, I'd feel dirty if I tried scamming my friends. Can't do it, won't do it.

I personally provide quality forums, with 300 to 400 people online at any given time. Alexa ranking is now up to 117,000 - 30,000 unique visitors a month.. and they COME BACK. It's not junk traffic, it's not paid traffic, it's honest traffic.

Do I make money? You bet. More then you think. I'm looking to break 20K this year. Could I make a lot more if I raped my users? Sure... But I won't.

It's my pride and joy and even if I was offered 100K for the site right now, I wouldn't sell it. Not because it's too low of a price, but because it's my baby.

See...

That's the secret.

If you're doing what you love, and enjoy doing it, then that's the true reward. Making money is just the gravy.

Oh sure.. I have multiple sites, but I spend 95% of my time on the 1. It's because you need to create that 1 cash cow, that allows you to work on other projects.

But never neglect the cow. Keep putting money back into it... Promoting it constantly.

Me, I'll be flying across country to an event in a few months to promote the site. The event will be huge, and we should get some great response from it I hope.

And again, I'm doing it because I love it.

I'll post more... Maybe a series of things I've learned for folks. Let me figure out how best to do it. And no, it won't be an e-book to buy. My info is free.

Carter

painthappy, Feb 12, 2008 IP
    YesBrilliant and Game Producer like this.
  8. wormy

wormy Active Member

Best Answers:
    What the...your ENTIRE blog beats the whole forum? I would have thought forums would have a hundred time more textual and informational content than a blog. Maybe SEs like to marginalize forums then. :eek:

wormy, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  9. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can just do 1 site and do fairly well. It takes money to make money and that bodes well for the internet. Invest some money into your site such as paid traffic and other things. If your site is good, it will pay off. You can do free stuff like stumbling, posting and other stuff, but it will take a lot longer to get off the ground. I'm set up with alot of ad networks to offset the cost of my own advertising. Now I've even got it to the point where I'm actually making a profit. Once you got it down to a science, then you can input x dollars in and know that you will get y dollars back. You will want to increase x once you know that y will always be higher.

deathfromabove, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  10. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality speaks itself. If you rely heavily on search engine traffic (MFA and affiliate sites rely on SEO and PPC only) and one day your SERP is drop, you'll lose your earning. But if you have plenty of visitors who typed your website address directly on their browser, long term success will come.

wokaka, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  11. ebob

ebob Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality over quantity.

You want to create quality content first before creating tons of sites. You not only want quality content but valuable content that makes your visitors lives better even in the smallest of ways. When that site becomes a good revenue source than you can branch out into other sites and projects.

There’s people who can churn out site after site with ads plastered from one end of the screen to the other but that’s not the best long-term business model. Plus it’s not really helping anyone.

Content is king and that’s what keeps people coming back. Your content also determines what your search engines rankings will be like in the long term.
    Think of your favorite sites and blogs you visit everyday and why you keep going back to them. It’s the content and the relationship you get from them.

I’m more willing to click relevant ads and purchase something from a site that I know, like and trust with quality content than a random site that appears to be created just to make the most money it can from every visitor.

There’s business and then there’s the business of serving people. If you take the time to actually serve your visitors needs you set yourself up to make long tern profits, possibly very nice profits.

ebob, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  12. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said... I always tell people "do what you love, the money will follow".

The problem is 99.9% of the people who try and make money are doing it for that reason and that reason is the same reason they fail and become extremely disappointed.

Anyone ever seen the movie Field Of Dreams?? There's a lot of morals in that movie... think about the famous one liner "if you built it he will come".

ruby, Feb 12, 2008 IP
    Game Producer likes this.
  13. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    This is all true, and my main site is one I've been working on for over 2 years and I'm very pleased with...and it does pretty well with affiliates and adsense.

...but I do have some small niche sites that only took a few days each to create and then I 'ignored' for a year or two and which now make a few dollars a day each - a much better return in dollars per hour than my main site. They are still content sites not MFA sites though.

For the main site I pay for related articles to be written that are often completely unprofitable, just so the site is more complete. Perhaps they'll pay me back one day, but I wouldn't do that for the other sites.

I'd sell the niche sites if I needed to but I wouldn't dream of selling the main site.

A side note, a while ago I tried making the ads much more prominent in the main site for a couple of days. It made lots more money but I couldn't bear to look at it, so moved them back again. Sensible or stupid, I'm not sure.

But yes, make a great site that you would like to come across yourself, and you'll do OK. Make a site just to make money and you'll struggle. Been said hundreds of times...and ignored hundreds of times by people looking for quick money.

Rasputin, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  14. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So wise words...

My answer... is quality, definitely quality.

Game Producer, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  15. Moin.Anjum

Moin.Anjum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with the dedication part! The perspective nowadays is "$" .. which is good "IF" it comes with the honesty. You can't climb the whole ladder in one jump, you need to do it stepwise. To be honest, I'm very new to blogging, started my first ever blog on January 15th.. You know what, I started from 14 visitors on the first day. 100% were friends that I wanted to come in and check if everything is working fine or were helping me out fixing the colors etc etc.

My priority wasn't making money on the go.. later on, yes! I worked on the website, find quality content, did R&D's for the posts I was making and now I'm getting around 2.5K visitors everyday! Did hit 4400 once.

So dedication / quality / quantity!! in a newbies opinion

Moin.Anjum, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  16. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, these are the people who say "QUIT" very fast. I still believe in organic and will stick with that.

jimkarter, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  17. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Yep, good story.

Dedication is something one must have.

Game Producer, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  18. opioq

opioq Banned

Best Answers:
    earning money works both ways.

i make a killing just off one of my sig links!

80/20 my friend.

opioq, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  19. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    heh, well, that's one way to do it for sure :rolleyes:

Game Producer, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  20. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    I've always tried to make my site as SEO as possible and it's more about the volume of the content than the quality that will make it work but I'm doing it all honestly and hoping that, at some point, it will reach the tipping point and make me some decent money. So, in answer to your question - Yeah I believe in building a decent site that people will use and enjoy - if I can do that I know I'll make money :)

pondlife, Feb 13, 2008 IP