1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I don't care about the PR update, do you?

Discussion in 'Google' started by DomainMagnate, Feb 19, 2006.

?

Do you care about the pr update?

1. screw it!

47 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. hell i do!

131 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts: What's an update?
    September 8, 2005

minstrel, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  2. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks minstrel, good information there too. Also, by reading on the Technology Overview page there, I am even more inclined to believe that PR is of actualy great importance, and a big factor in determining search results. Still, we may never know and keep guessing, which won't help us either way, since we'll retain our personal opinions.

gordonfreeman, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to read a bit more, then. It's not meaningless but it is far less important than many people seem to believe.

minstrel, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  4. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    That's why I earlier said that both the "live" PR and the static (not-updated) toolbar PR can be of importance to an individual.

5. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well maybe it's more important than many other people believe.. you can never know :) (I know it sounds relativistic, and that's not of much importance, but still, the thing that is sure is that you can't really know for good)

6. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Like I said show me the proof!!! Google also mentions links and content amongst many other things. SO bakc to you - WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT GOOGLE PUTS "QUITE SOME WEIGHT ON PR" ? If you can not provide actual evidence then drop the "myth"!!

aahhhaaa yes yes ... work with me - work with meeeeeee. There are many many MANNNYYYY more factors that are more important than PR including onpage and offpage optimization

Hmmmm really? I'm still intrigued by the fact that PR0 sites are ranking much better than an abundant number of PR4/5 sites, you know there are many many more sites for that keyword phrase with higher PRs than those little PR0 sites!!! Also, why are the PR6 or better sites not showing up? Let me guess it may have something to do with optimization or something no? I thought sooo .... :rolleyes:

PR6 - www . pierotucci .com/
    PR6 - www . wilsonsleather .com/
    PR6 - www . awrust. co .uk

Don't waste your money on PR8 link it'll turn into a PR4/5 in the next PR UPDATE ... and you'll lower YOUR PR - OH MY GAWD! :eek:

Anyways good luck with your endeavors!
    cheers
    Frank

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  7. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Whats important to you? That a) your site makes money or b) that you have a PR7 or better site? :eek:

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  8. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    sayles:

First, I don't have any proof (and I never said I had.. I am pretty sure I used "I think", which describes a personal opinion).

Second, I'm far away from spending money on links.

Third, I actualy mailed G on this issue. I'm not expecting an answer, of course, but if I get one, I'll post it here.

9. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    Those aren't muttualy exclusive goals, and they are actualy related. I strongly believe that I'd make more money with a "PR7 or better" site than without.

10. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    these were your words, so no back peddling!
    "First of all, PR directly influences search results, it is a factor with quite some weight; you know it's true, even Google says it here:"
    Good, Google doesn't like it anyways!

Perfect! I've done the same!

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  11. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Really? How is a PR7 site going to make you more money if you are not in the SERPs? Or are you one of those people that believe online shoppers use the "Shop by PR" method? - ahhhhh this site has a PR7, lets buy an IPOD here?!?!?!:rolleyes:

Basically what you are saying is that after this supposive PR update sites that went from PR0 position 4 to PR7 position 123 are going to make more money!?!?!? Pleaaaaaasssseeeeee! :eek:

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  12. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right, although my intention was that my message would seem as a personal oppinion. Also, I made a mistake in leaving much room for interpretation. For me, quite some weight would mean about 5 up to 10% (from the ~100 factors, where one meaningless factor would weigh about 0.5%).

LaCabra likes this.
  13. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I am saying that the site with a PR7 would bring more money than the exact same site, with a PR0. (more money = more traffic, so yes, having a PR7 site, directly or indirectly would bring you more traffic)

14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    gordonfreeman - inside I know what you meant, because I understand this issue a "litttle bit" but others don't understand the issue around PR etc. I'm just trying to provide some clarity thats all. I try to show, through examples, that what I am saying is correct from my point of view. That being said I always open the door for people to correct me, teach me and inform me as I do not claim to know all.

Thank you for keeping your cool and making this an enjoyable discussion!
    :)
    Frank

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
    gordonfreeman likes this.
  15. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hmmm maybe or maybe not. PR0/Pos4 w/keyword1 /with same content VS PR7/Pos4 w/keyword1 /with same content, never tested or found any metrics around that! ;) Would be a great test!

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  16. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I actualy love about this forum: intelligent people with whom I can discuss and share my oppinions.

I doubt that test would be easy, and until the test is over, chances are that google already changed some of the algorithm :)

17. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Google searches more sites more quickly, delivering the most relevant results.
    Introduction

Google runs on a unique combination of advanced hardware and software. The speed you experience can be attributed in part to the efficiency of our search algorithm and partly to the thousands of low cost PC's we've networked together to create a superfast search engine.

The heart of our software is PageRankâ„¢, a system for ranking web pages developed by our founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University. And while we have dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of Google on a daily basis, PageRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools.

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

http://www.google.com/technology/

Right from Google; PR is a factor.

Roman, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  18. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    hey you're a smart cookie yourself, it take two to tango!

Absolutely correct unless we buy one of there appliances and try it ourselves!!! :D

Fabulous talking with you gordonfreeman!
    :)

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  19. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Roman .. we know its a factor - READ THE THREAD ... and after you've read the thread ... try to figure out what drives PR :)

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  20. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    PageRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools.

I think that implies quite some weight.

Roman, Feb 19, 2006 IP