1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

being attacked

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by tapalapa, Feb 12, 2008.

ok. I purchased a dating script yea. now the owner of the script said that I cannot install more than 1 instances of the script on the same domain!.

I installed it like this :

www.datingsite.com/england
    www.datingsite.com/france

. Am i not in my god damn right to decide how many instances of the script i install on it since i purchased it ? Its one server, one domain:mad: . he tryner rip me off. am i in my legal right to tell him to shuv it up his ass ?

tapalapa, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  2. torrentstorage

torrentstorage Peon

Best Answers:
    tell him to go to hell and spend a bunch of money taking you to court

torrentstorage, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  3. bigrollerdave

bigrollerdave Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If those are his terms and you agreed to them then he is right you can't do that. If you didn't agree to any terms I don't see it being a problem. that's just bad business on his part though.

bigrollerdave, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  4. scriptman

scriptman Peon

Best Answers:
    No, that is a fair and indeed common practice in script licensing. Assuming the owner had a Terms of Service or similar agreement that you had to recognize and accept before acquiring the script (This means checking an "I accept the ToS" checkbox or something to that effect) the owner may enforce these terms.

If you choose to ignore the owner's notification, either you or your web host may receive a DMCA notice.

Keep in mind that even Jelsoft Enterprises (vBulletin) has very similar restrictions in place. It's common practice to limit active scripts in this way.

scriptman, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  5. DrewAMP

DrewAMP Peon

Best Answers:
    The chances of the script author doing something that will actually affect you (besides legal threats) is pretty slim. However, like scriptman said, if you did agree to some Terms of Service before, you do need to abide by them.

DrewAMP, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  6. scriptman

scriptman Peon

Best Answers:
    Assuming his web host is DMCA compliant, the owner could quite easily have tapalapa's website(s) knocked off the internet pretty quickly - Within a day or two at no expense to him.

scriptman, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  7. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You agreed to that when you purchased the script. If you didn't like the terms, you should have purchased elsewhere. That having been said, have you checked to see if there are package deals for multiple installations? You might just be able to get a price cut that way.

Nonny, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  8. tapalapa

tapalapa Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks. i'll tell him to i dont care. I have a colocation server that i rack up myself. he can send as many dmca woteva notices, am my own host.

tapalapa, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  9. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Problem is you own the servers, but you still need an ISP, they can complain to your upstream ISP.

wisdomtool, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  10. ZooBHosT

ZooBHosT Peon

Best Answers:
    Check the TOS on the script and follow the wording closely:

If the license says you are licensed to install this script on single domain then you should be allowed (as per the TOS) to run multiple instances of the script on the one domain.

If the license says you are permitted to run 1 instance of this script on a single domain then you would need to heed to the developers TOS and only install one instance.
    If that is the case I would investigate if you are able to create a modification on the existing script to facilitate multiple countries and such.

ZooBHosT, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  11. wholahay

wholahay Banned

Best Answers:
    zoobhost is right, you need to ask them or you need to get the tos of the script since its very important for you to read, because its hard for you when you are violating the tos since you purchased it.

wholahay, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  12. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Correct advice.

Can you link to his TOS for us to read?

EDIT: Wait....is this spam because BOTH links are parked pages. That's not cool..

RectangleMan, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  13. zeldaze

zeldaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Meh he is right. But if the script isn't encrypted it can be nulled so null it and then send him the links to piss him off. Just make sure you have some nice offshore hosting :p

zeldaze, Feb 13, 2008 IP