1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying something different

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by neforum, Jan 15, 2008.

I've been working with Adsense for a while now, I have 5 or 6 sites that make around $3-4 per day between them. Usually i'll top $100 in the month, but I'm mainly using Leaderboard and Half Banner ads on the sites that are doing best. It's time for a change to see if I can improve things though. I think I can up my CTR by using the more 'clickable' big and small rectangular ads, so i'm giving them a go, with the usual blending and sensible colours being used.

One of my sites is a forum, so i'm a bit limited with that one (< $1/day), but I'm monitoring my other main site in Google and trying to find out how each page ranks in Google for my key phrases. I have a niche of regional Sports on this site and there are about 35 pages relating to the different sports I'm covering. Most of my pages are showing on either Page 1 or 2 of the Google keyword search, but other, much more popular sports for which I have pages are outside the top 100 (first 10 pages), so I'm working on the key phrases/density for them to try to improve their positions. I think this will have the effect of possibly doubling my overall traffic, so the effort is worth it.

If it works i'll apply what I've learned to the other sites and my next target is therefore to make $200 per month from my sites. This is obviously between $6-7 per day, so a big increase, but I think with the new optimisation and ad changes I can do it. After that it's a matter of adding more pages with this format and hopefully things will improve further.

neforum, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  2. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! I put the Large rectangle ads on my site and already i'm over $4 in my 'Adsense Day', which only started 5 hours ago! This looks like it could be really, really good. I'll let you know what my daily total gets to.

neforum, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  3. SmallPotatoes

SmallPotatoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely worth experimenting. I have one site with Adsense on it, for years it has been bringing in $6/day. Over the holidays, just out of boredom, I shuffled the ads around. Ever since then it's been averaging $13/day. That's $5000 I've thrown away over the past two years.

SmallPotatoes, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  4. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it always a good idea ot play with the ads positioning and see if that results in better clicks. not all the sites and visitors are the same, so changing your ad positioning might surprise you and worth trying for. good to see your income going up by changing the ad

sultanofseo, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  5. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well the total has reached just short of $6, so for the first day after the changes that's pretty encouraging. More importantly, my CTR has doubled, so if I can get my traffic up......... :)

neforum, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  6. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Its really good.
    I am always with trial and error process.

Abhik, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  7. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    As we approach the end of January, I'm looking at around $150 total. That's a good increase and double what I made last month. Considering my changes were made mid-month, if it continues I might be pushing my target by the end of Feb, but it's a short month, so doubt if i'll get there. It'll be close though. :)

neforum, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  8. IndianIdoL

IndianIdoL Banned

Best Answers:
    that's really cool :)

Research and development is the part of adsense process.

After doing so many changes and so much hard work i am finally earning $15k per month with 10 websites i have :)

IndianIdoL, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  9. TheVccMatey

TheVccMatey Peon

Best Answers:
    Moving ads around is really good. You might hit a gold mine

TheVccMatey, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  10. alfre_cl

alfre_cl Peon

Best Answers:
    What are your sites about Idol?

alfre_cl, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  11. Holly

Holly Banned

Best Answers:
    Good going Neforum!

Holly, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  12. edoogg

edoogg Peon

Best Answers:

How is Feb going for you with the changes you have made? Are you on pace to meet your monthly goal.

edoogg, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  13. dwikristianto

dwikristianto Peon

Best Answers:
    @neforum:

thanks for the experiments :D
    although so many people come up with similar suggestions, but your experiment make this so obvious.

again thanks.

dwikristianto, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  14. Shakas

Shakas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Neforum,
    thanks for sharing first of all.

Indeed the add placement it´s crucial! I noticed also a huge raise on my CTR when changed the add placement (well not huge, but from 1% to 5-6% it´s really something)

Looking forward to see your Feb. statistics.
    And congratulation on raising your income :)

Shakas, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  15. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's going well. February is a short month of course, so if I can get close to my January total i'll take it as an improvement. If that's the case, i'll be half way to my next target of $200 (January was $145). I've also started a new blog in the Health/Weightloss sector, it's early days for that yet, but the ads are extremely well targetted on that one, all I need now is traffic! If anyone is blogging in this area and would like to swap links, let me know by PM.

neforum, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  16. Shakas

Shakas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats, keep on sharing your experiences and results :) looking forward to see how your project will behave in a medium long term.

By the way, how do you advertise your sites? DIgg/stumble/link Xchange?

Shakas, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  17. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't advertise as such, just try to get good placement on Search Engines organically by putting my sites in sigs on forums, create sitemaps, etc. All pretty much organic stuff and slowly increasing my income. I try to bring a new site on line every couple of months and make sure it's well optimised, then give it six months to develop. If it works, I keep it, if it doesn't I ditch it and think of something else.

neforum, Feb 19, 2008 IP