1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working for Google does Matt Cutts work for Google?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Revelations-Decoder, Feb 10, 2008.

I am a little baffled by MattCutts "Disclaimer"

He states he is a "Googler" that answers questions online sometimes.

I am wondering if his statement he is emplyed by Google merely means he is just getting paid by Google through adwords.

Quote " I joined Google as a software engineer in January 2000 " Unquote from www.mattcutts.com could that not be just a way of saying he implements adsense on his website and gets paid by Google?

Now bear in mind I have not read anything on Matt Cutts website other than a couple of threads on his blog his disclaimer and of course his index page but could he actually be just another Googler with a clever play on words or does he really work for Google in the true sense of the Employer Employee role?

Some of the wording "like his disclaimer" makes me wonder.

Anyone know for sure?

Revelations-Decoder, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, he does. It also says that on his site. "I'm currently the head of Google's Webspam team."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cutts
    Adwords also doesn't pay anyone and running Adsense (which Cutts doesn't do anyway) doesn't mean you are employed by google .

mjewel, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  3. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh OK Thanks

As I say I have not really read much on his site

I only came across his name again recently after hearing it a few years ago and the wording of that disclaimer seemed sort of open ended to me lol.

I had meant adsense I wrote the wrong one (adwords) without thinking lol.

So you dont think someone who was earning all their income from adsense could describe Google as their emplyer then

Stupid questions probably but if someone was actually only earning an income from Google adsese they could say they are working for Google if they worded things cleverly do you think?

4. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are in no way an employee of google just because you run adsense. It's right in the Adsense TOS.

"The relationship between Google and You is not one of a legal partnership relationship, but is one of independent contractors."

mjewel, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  5. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I get that mjewel I think you may have misunderstood me I meant using the words "working for" in wording not the word "employee".

So my question was if someone (Not me but anyone at all) used the words "working for" re Google and adsense if their only income was from adsense and they had all the legal disclaimers etc in place would a website owner be able to use the words "working for Google" if they we're not misleading someone and we're stating what they meant was by using adsense.

For example would wording like this be acceptable to Google do you think

"My website is working for Google by incorporating adsense on its pages"

or do you think that would be unacceptable.

I am aware a website would have a difficult time getting found if it was just trying to earn from adsense alone I was just wondering abiout certain termonology as as I said MattCutts disclimer was not quite clear to me.

What with the nature of the net - I have seen some crafty tricks being used.

I found the wicki link a Good read sounds like MattCutts is behind quite a lot at Google.

6. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    trying my best not o be rude BUT.... you claim to be 'the World's Best SEO Expert' and don't know who Matt is?

..that's kind of freaking me out man.....

thegypsy, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  7. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    Why would that be thegypsy dp you think you need to know all about MattCuts to be good at SEO content writing then?

I would go out of my way to avoid reading too much of anything he has to say merely because I like to learn for myself not from another seo expert.

I said also that I heard about him years ago but had recently come across him again during my research not knowing much about Matt Cutts hardly affects my seo content when I get my Google seo info from Google its self and not a personal blog from an employee.

Still I have to say I think it is good that that freaks you out

I rely on my own initiative and judgement and doing white hat seo writing to get my results so will still probably read very little of Matt Cutts own blog well unless I come across his pages during my research of course.

Google

hire a search optimiser (That's the UK spelling of the US Optimizer which I have not targted as yet)

and tell me if I am getting the results I want as I should have a link or two on page 1 for that serach term.

8. kozyavka

kozyavka Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am also wondering why you don't know Matt if you are in seo industry

kozyavka, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  9. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    LOL

Never take my threads on face value alone

Please Google

#1 seo writer on google

Matt is link 1

I am link 2

Sorry Guys I post for the benefit of others and play stupid and in the dark sometmes for reasons It would take a book to explain

Helping others who are afraid to ask questions is one of the main reasons.

10. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    Take a look at the title of this thread and see if you can suss ou what other motives I have for the wording of it thegypsy?

PS I am not PeterJones btw I just made the post on that site that resides under Matt for the earc term mentioned in my last post.

I am actually a little further down the page 7th or 8th link!

11. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree, it's a disturbing trend over the last 12-18 months.. Hear about SEO one week and start a professional SEO Company the next.

By the way OP, saying you are a SEO Expert because you do content writing is like saying your a professional mechanic because you know how to put petrol in your car.

sweetfunny, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  12. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I have been studying Google SEO for four years sweetfunny

Been keeping it under wraps for my registered TM Cartoon Teddy Bear Charaters called the Double T Ted's which will be coming online soon

You can see the first one if you like at www.hostted.net what do you think of him?

There will be a Hosting site themed around him with 99.9 maybe even 100% uptime soon.

I know a little more than I let on about seo btw.

13. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Claiming you "work for google" because you run adsense, is not only misleading and false, would potentially get you in some legal hot water - and could get you sued if they wanted.... So no, you should not claim that you work for google in any way unless you are covered under google's workmans comp insurance.

Anyone can claim "Best SEO Expert" but you should first learn the basics of keyword research before you target a keyword. "SEO Writer" is a term that absolutely no one searches for ... Estimated daily search on Yahoo, MSN, Google, KW Discovery, word tracker, etc. = zero. Anyone can rank well for a term no one searches for. Real "SEO Experts" don't target keywords that no one searches for.

mjewel, Feb 10, 2008 IP
    thegypsy likes this.
  14. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey RD - I am not the one with ' The Worlds Best SEO Expert ' in my sig.... give it a rest ok?

If you don't have enough sense to be following the words of Matt, Adam or other Googlers, means you aren't interested in the rules of the game according to Google.

Without that, one cannot truly understand SEO for Google... which happens to be the #1 Search Engine for traffic generation...

I humbly submit that U are NOT the world's best....

If you can tell me the difference between LSI, HTMM, PaIR, ... please do. How about the inner workings of personalized search optimization?

I have been digging around the world of search engineering for years and some folks even think I might know a thing or two.... am I even in the Top 50? Nope....

So, once more... it is your assertion of being the best that is offensive and you should certainly be taken to task for such claims ( you didn't even target the text link??? whaaa???)

I appeciate your enthuiasm, but some day when you become an expert, maybe you shall understand the audacity of the words you chose to use :0)

I tell you what, I run a fairly popular SEO blog and would be happy to bring you some publicity and let our peers in the SEO community judge you for themselves and we can see it they believe you to be the BEST. Didn't you know that in the world of SEO bad publicity, regardless of old axioms, is NOT a good thing? Folks search you and find it... well, it's called reputation management and trying to bump unsavoury listings is part of the SEO game... U should be fine...

What say you? Are you still the BEST?

(PS - best wishes with the new child. I hope all goes well :0)

thegypsy, Feb 10, 2008 IP
    cormac likes this.
  15. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:

You probably know best that your not getting very many hits for that term. Try ranking for search engine marketing uk and once you hit the top 5 then go ahead and call yourself an expert - nobody will dispute your claims. ;)

cormac, Feb 10, 2008 IP
    thegypsy likes this.
  16. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Likewise, i rank in the top 15 for "SEO" on Google.com and heck there's only about 3 or 4 positions between myself and SEOmoz for the term however i still wouldn't label myself a SEO "expert" even after 9 years industry experience.

Am i in the top 50 SEO's, who knows but i doubt it.

sweetfunny, Feb 11, 2008 IP