1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WebHostingGeeks.com new layout

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by rsuog, Feb 7, 2008.

rsuog, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  2. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    My personal opinion - I don't think I like that huge red block. It devotes way to much space to something that doesn't occupy it fully.

Your old layout told me exactly what the site was about:

The new one does not.

How about putting the above on the right hand side of that red area (or try switching it around to see what looks best)?

Just my inexpert opinion...

Artifexus, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    rsuog likes this.
  3. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually I was thinking about putting that text below the red box, before the top 10 host list. The module is just not ready yet.

Thanks for suggestion :)

rsuog, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  4. dhunmaari

dhunmaari Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow! new version is awesome.

dhunmaari, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  5. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    ok I added the text below the red box. what you think guys?

rsuog, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  6. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like the rotating features.. good work..

But yes, you need to change that RED block.. use some light color or may be something else. :) IMO

MeetHere, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    Zerosleep likes this.
  7. safe6

safe6 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow! new version is awesome.

safe6, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  8. Zerosleep

Zerosleep Established User

Best Answers:
    I like the new version maybe you can try adding a border, On the contrary to meethere I like the red box

Zerosleep, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    MeetHere and rsuog like this.
  9. dman_2007

dman_2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should decrease the width of the red block and put it entirely in the right hand column, this will enable you to move the main content up where it is visible without scrolling.

dman_2007, Feb 8, 2008 IP
    rsuog likes this.
  10. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    yeh, i thought about that too. but originally, the red box supposed to attract customer's attention as much as possible.

what i've learned from my experience is that many hosting companies try to increase their rating by giving themselves positive reviews and and negative reviews to competitors.

since i analyze all the sales i made as well as all the refunds, i am pretty confident which hosts are better than others... so i was thinking about putting really good ones into the red box... that was the idea.

rsuog, Feb 8, 2008 IP
    Zerosleep likes this.
  11. devilhead_satish

devilhead_satish Peon

Best Answers:
    Try pushing maximum content above the fold. Take that red box off and put it somewhere else. But i preferred the older layout. The newer one looks like a blog.

devilhead_satish, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  12. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    what if I move it to the right? above 2 columns of articles?

maybe use the 234x60 banner inside the red box and the white text below the image...

rsuog, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  13. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    that would also be good. But i think the problem is with EYE Catching Red color. It Looks like a big banner ad. Some soothing color might be good.

MeetHere, Feb 8, 2008 IP
    rsuog likes this.
  14. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    but red is a "selling" color. the prime spot should attract as much as possible

rsuog, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  15. jasoncdu

jasoncdu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, your old website fits more with your logo, because it is a more fun looking layout. The new one is cleaner and professional - but the logo does not go well with it. Also try using a lighter grey for the red block.. It attracts too much attention when you first go onto the site, unless that's what you want.

Just my opinion :)
    Jason

jasoncdu, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  16. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I've taken a look at it and I like the newer layout better then the older one.

I would suggest that the red thing be decreased in height at minimum and have it's width reduced so that it's either in the main section or the sidebar.

Also the logo does need a change. A more professional image is needed.

Just my 2 cents.

Skinny, Feb 8, 2008 IP
    rsuog likes this.
  17. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Like the new design much better as it is easier to read and navigate

swedal, Feb 8, 2008 IP
    rsuog likes this.
  18. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The new design looks awesome..

Especially the mouse roll over option in sidebar, which exposes the features of the hosting, and the drop down menu in the top :)
    Good work with the changes :)

sizzler_chetan, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  19. hostevery

hostevery Peon

Best Answers:
    The newer design is better! You should hire someone to help make your logo more professional.

hostevery, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  20. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I like the current layout more than the new one. I also think the new layout might bring you less sign ups (maybe not, this needs to be tested). However, I personally wouldn't convert WHG into a blog, as the current layout looks good, the layout is well organized and the hosts are reviewed in the chart, so everyone can quickly review the features of the hosts and compare with what they need, and then go and just sign up instantly.

With the new layout, the banners of hosting companies might seem like ads and therefore make your site less trusted. I think text links are fine - like on the current layout, as your site doesn't look like a web hosting blog that is making money selling banner spots for web hosts and therefore may not be trusted.

If it was my site, I would probably keep the layout almost as it is now, I would just make the overall design a little more attractive - more web 2.0ish, someting like Hosting Review ,com.

I also agree with Artifexus that the red box doesn't look good. And I don't like the idea that the banners in it are randomly rotaded. I think you shouldn't make anything random on your site, just keep the banners of web hosts that convert well.

I would also make your logo look more professional as well as the mascot might maybe look perfect modelled in a 3D program and quality rendered.

Maybe too much of criticizm from me, but of course it's your site and you know how it works, you know it. Testing would tell us the truth. Maybe I'm just a little conservative and am wrong. Good luck anyway!

P.S. I would be glad to redesign a site like WHG. I would do this even for free, as it would be a pleasure for me to have it in my portfolio that I designed WHG. Dmitry, just PM me if you would like me to give it a try. If you don't like what I create, no problem.

andrej, Feb 10, 2008 IP