1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

UK only = .com, .net, .info are penalised?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Blitz, Feb 16, 2006.

Hi,

My site is targeted towards a UK audience. Whenever someone goes to Google on a UK IP address now, it automatically redirects them to Google.co.uk, with the option of searching for UK results only.
    But I have a .net site, and I'm seeing UK .com's who are #1 when it's 'Search entire internet' fall down the pages when it's 'UK only' with .co.uk and .org.uk ect becoming a lot higher in the rankings.

What can I do to ensure my site will rank high for UK only as I have a .net? Should I get a .co.uk instead if I want to rank high in UK only?

Blitz, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  2. ForSaleSign

ForSaleSign Peon

Best Answers:
    Its difficult to be specific without knowing what your site is called, but basically I would get the .co.uk for any traffic, especially if you have a keyword as your name.

Also, I would optimise your site for UK use i.e. ensure the words "UK, United Kingdom and British" etc, are placed throughout your content, where appropriate.

Hope this helps!

ForSaleSign, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  3. bernard82

bernard82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is your website listed in both types of search, ie "UK only" and "all the web"?

If it is not listed at all in "UK only" searches, it may be because of the server where you host your website.
    I have read on some forums and some other websites, that when doing a "country only search", in your case UK, Google will only give the websites that are hosted on a server situated in that country (ie UK).

bernard82, Feb 16, 2006 IP