1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best width of a website

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mineral, Feb 3, 2008.

1. psangsorn

psangsorn Peon

Best Answers:
    From going to 1680 x 1050 too 800 x 600 is a joke.. the pixels are like half a centremeter or something...

Does anyone really do serious web browin on their mobile?

psangsorn, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  2. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definately; atleast for the more 'social networking' based sites. Have you seen the iPhone's use on facebook? Though what the iPhone is packing can hardly be recognized as a standard browser to which most pda's use. It looks more like an actual computer monitor.

drewbe121212, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  3. francois©

francois© Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah. . i think in css u need to use 100% width to control your design in all computer resolution even is it minimum or maximum. in designing templates try to use the majority 800x600.

francois©, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  4. littlejake

littlejake Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to use 100% but now preferred 760px.

littlejake, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  5. Joseph.oliver88

Joseph.oliver88 Peon

Best Answers:
    this was really the first ever helpful thread that i had read coz i was having trouble with my page width before..thannnnnksz!

Joseph.oliver88, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  6. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    camp185, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  7. CT SEO

CT SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree. for some reason there are still people out there using 800x600...

CT SEO, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  8. camp185

Best Answers:
    Why not try this if you like 950. Most people use 1024 or higher screen settings. Set the width to 93%. Now your site width would appear to be about 950 pixels on a 1024. It will also still fit on a screen that is 800. Just an idea.

camp185, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  9. lucwebsite

lucwebsite Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello everybody
    StommePoes > mobile device won't use your stylesheet! So don't worry!
    I have adopted the 960 grid system.. which is a nice, clean and efficient way to get a good job done.
    Check 960.gs you will like it!
    I am implementing it to the new version of my cie website as well. soon it will be online.

lucwebsite, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  10. masterofweb

masterofweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    according to me 998px or 950px

masterofweb, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Designing for fixed width is a complete accessibility /FAIL/ and nothing more than sleazeball asshat bullshit. There, I said it.

If you DO feel the need to constrain the width, you go for semi-fluid so it will at least scale down to 800 friendly. Even most smallscreen devices have modes to at least support 800 friendly - semi-fluid growing in width means that people with large displays aren't kneejerking into "Hey, what's up with this crappy little useless stripe of a website?"

Either that or go with a McSwitchy, changing the number of columns and content placement as the width changes.

Basically, HTML is supposed to adjust to the user agent's preferences and capabilities, That's the ENTIRE REASON it was invented. Going for a fixed width pixel width pixel metric font website defeats the point of MAKING websites.

Of course the same goes for SHIT CSS frameworks like YUI or Grid 960 in relation to CSS. Since they use presentational classes to control the markup, they defeat the ENTIRE POINT OF USING CSS IN THE FIRST **** PLACE since you lose separation of presentation from content.

deathshadow, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  12. snapshot media

snapshot media Peon

Best Answers:
    snapshot media, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  13. stejas

stejas Guest

Best Answers:
    We use 980 px on various sites. But 960 looks good as well, as I saw the 960.gs link

stejas, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  14. camp185

Best Answers:
    Set your site width to pixels, and sooner or later it will be dated and old style. Check out this: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Here is a common problem I find when doing my analysis. A site is developed at 800 pixels..(a used to be common scenario), the content is squished, and font size in tiny because it's the only way they can squeeze it in. That could almost be ok, but I find this on sites where the target audience is people 40 an over. Tiny font size is bad...and if they try to enlarge it, your site layout will really go to crap.

Use percentages where you can and em for font size. Know your target audience. If you check that link I included you will see that even 1024 is becoming a thing of the past.

camp185, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  15. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Figures, I rip it an *******, and the very next post somebody pimps that steaming pile of CRAP that defeats the entire POINT of using CSS in the first place.

Good going. Nothing like promoting non-semantic markup and the use of presentational classes (which are so **** stupid it invariably begs the question why use CSS at all!) - rank this alongside YUI, mootools, jquery, dreamweaver and all the other sleazeball shortcuts that are flushing web development right down the crapper.

deathshadow, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  16. camp185

Best Answers:
    Just keep hoping they stick to the 960 concept. Next year it will be as silly looking as using 800.

camp185, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  17. MrPitBull

MrPitBull Peon

Best Answers:
    I am in the process of building a new site and am trying to determine if to go fluid or a set pixel size. As it stands now, I have decided to choose a template that allows me to adjust the width at any time. Therefore in the future if the new standard becomes 1280 or more I will be ready (I hope). I like the the fluid idea, just to hard to have a lot of pages display properly. Of course if someone has other thoughts I would love to hear them.

As far as what people are using today... I just pulled these off my site for the past 30 days. Interestingly, there was a total of 486 different resolutions!

[​IMG]

MrPitBull, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  18. Menny

Menny Peon

Best Answers:
    You might wanna use 100 % to offer your visitors more flexibilty. If you need a static design, go for 800-1000px in width.
    Good luck with your project!

Menny, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  19. pkgelectricals

pkgelectricals Peon

Best Answers:
    try to use width in '%'

pkgelectricals, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  20. togu25

togu25 Peon

Best Answers:
    i usually using 800px for my website

togu25, Dec 26, 2009 IP