1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Only Admin and Mods allowed to start threads - Vbulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by DeluxeEdition, Feb 6, 2008.

I'm embarrassed to ask this question but I did a search on VB.org, VB.com, Google and here and can't seem to find an answer (Maybe using wrong terms).

I want one of the forums on my Vbulletin Board to only allow an Admin or a Mod to start a thread or poll, I want registered user to be able to post a reply to a thread and answer a poll but not be able to start a thread.

If any one can point me in the right direction that would be great.

I'm using Vbulletin 3.6.8

DeluxeEdition, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  2. Shadab

Shadab Peon

Best Answers:
    AdminCP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Locate the sub-forum/category for which you want to apply these restrictions.
    Now click the [Edit] link beside the 'Registered Users' text.

Select the radio button for : "Use Custom Permissions"
    Then select the "No" option for the "Can Post Threads" setting.

[​IMG]

Now finally [Save] the settings.

Do the same for any other usergroup that you want to restrict.

Hope this helps. :)

Shadab, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Shadab is correct, in fact, gave a fantastic answer.

If you follow through with this, then you may find that your member base is not happy. Sometimes I like to talk about what *I* want to talk about. Taking that away from me across the forum would certainly be a turn off, possibly to the point that I no longer want to play your reindeer games. (note, I'm talking about across the entire forum, not just a few 'special' boards)

Though, for certain boards that does make perfect sense. I have it set up that way on my "Announcements" board, as it's for site related things and not to announce a member engagement or something... thats what my general discussion board is for ;)

Qryztufre, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    Shadab likes this.
  4. DeluxeEdition

DeluxeEdition Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shadab - I figured it was something easy but a search for it was fruitless... Hopefully this post will be found for anyone else having the problem in the future.

Qryztufre - Yeah I'm just setting it up for information specific to the site, similar to what you did. Not the whole board but good advice.

DeluxeEdition, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    Shadab likes this.