1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Letting a Client Go? Advice?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Power_Writer, Feb 3, 2008.

So, how do you let a client go?

I have a client right now that has a hard time understanding project limitations and an appropriate number of edits. I think he's just so passionate about his product and his work that he gets really worked up and wants to add to projects, making them bigger and bigger without renegotiating the terms.

I keep talking to him about this and I always try to start projects out by clearly laying out the terms of exactly what's going to be done and that doesn't seem to work. And the edits? This is a man who doesn't have a clear idea of what he wants, so the edits are always endless.

In short, working for him is *not* working out. I'm in the middle of a mini-project for him that would typically take me a day to wrap up. With him, it's taken a week. This is a client who takes my hourly wage from $30-$50 and drags it down to $10.

How do I let him go while still being a professional? Should I just tell him it's over and then not charge him for the work done so far? Do I offer him some final words of advice or should I just let it be?

Power_Writer, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  2. Lethal7

Lethal7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    give him a clear and straight to the point explanation with one last chance to provide you with what he wants clearly.

If this fails, tell him its over.

Lethal7, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  3. getagged

getagged Peon

Best Answers:
    I would tell him you think your being underpaid and that you would like to work on other projects. Or the next time he asks you to do a project just tell him straight how much you want paid. If he refuses to pay that much then just say something along the lines of "Sorry then I can't do this for you".

getagged, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  4. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've read you post and can tell you that the problem is you not him. I know, it's easy for writers to blame clients (we've all done it). But, you're not conducting your business (at least this instance) in a professional manner. And this evidenced by saying things, such as "edits are endless." It's vital that project details are hammered out before work is done. While you may say you do, your posts says otherwise.

And it sounds like you've either underestimated the project's work or overestimated your ability to handle the project or both. It happens.

That said, if you've realized that a mistake has been made, it's best to be honest. Don't lie or give some BS excuse, because people talk and this can damage your image and possibly cost you money in the future.

For the future, get down on paper what's needed. Make sure you point out that work above and beyond the specs (such as added material) will be charged on a issue by issue basis. And when it happens, get the new issue down on paper, with a fee, before continuing.

Unfortunately, the relationship wasn't set up properly to being with, so no matter what you do, it will most likely be "wrong" is his eyes. Shake it off, learn and make tomorrow better--for you and your clients.

Good luck with the situation!

:)

marketjunction, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  5. Power_Writer

Power_Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    I see what you're saying, but I don't think you have enough information to make those claims. You see, what's happening with the edits is that he's dramatically changing the project - does that make sense? We agree on a specific project (in writing) and then he continues to change that project, either adding to it significantly or drastically altering it (and after we've laid out the terms).

I think the only thing I've overestimated is my ability to deal with this particular client.

I think I'm going to have to politely explain that I can't work with him, maybe point him towards alternate writers or places where he can find writers and simply end the relationship there.

Power_Writer, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  6. minimalista

minimalista Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

In my contract, whenever the spec is altered (either by the customer or by me) we go over costs again and the project is redifined.

But I think that, in your case with that particular client, you should come clean and say to him that it's simply impossbile to work together. I think that frontality is always the best way to go.

minimalista, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  7. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you've laid out the project beforehand, then what exactly is the issue? He wants to make changes outside of the project's description. So? Bill him accordingly and move forward.

Alterations happen every day in professional life. There's nothing wrong with it. However, working with clients that give you headaches is a problem.

Like I said before, if you don't want to do any more projects with him (you should always finish what you start), then tell him.

My points are really about mindset. What you're feeling will come through in your communication. It's important to not blame the client. Understand that the two of you just aren't compatible in an ideal business situation and move forward.

A big plus would be referring him to someone you feel is more qualified to deal with him. This will help your image.

Work to keep a positive mindset, because positive energy moves you forward.

In closing, please don't mistake my advice as an attack in any way. You're having trouble with a client. It's a relationship and as such, it takes two to tango. We all have these issues and I've talked with many service providers, like you, about this very same situation.

Good luck!

marketjunction, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  8. WZT

WZT Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes the client and the provider have different personalities. And other times you just get a difficult client. We shouldn't exclude this possibility.

Words of advice are not usually well-taken, especially if there has been some tension between you. I understand that your client pays you when you deliver the final version of the project, and you are asking whether to charge him for what you worked so far or to let him use your work for free.

If you ask him to pay for what you did so far it is likely that he will oppose this, because you haven't delivered the project. You should tell him that you feel your communication is not good enough and you wish to end your collaboration while he still has time to find someone else to do it. You will not ask for him to pay since you have not delivered the project. If however he wants to pay you for your time, he can send the money to [your account]. Thank him respectfully and don't let your frustration show. Being professional often means allowing our client to be right, even if he's not. You may or may not get your money. Your professionalism is probably the only thing that would make him pay you even partially.

Hope everything goes well for you, keep us posted.

WZT, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  9. Courtknee

Courtknee Peon

Best Answers:
    Power Writer,

I hear where you are coming from...I have had clients exactly like that. The project starts out in clear terms and then they just want to add one little thing, then another then another.

If it's just not working out for you, and you're not confident that you'll be able to vocalize that you need to be paid for the extra work, finish up the project you are working on. The next time he tries to book you, tell him that you have moved onto other projects, and recommend a few other freelance writers if you know any.

Sometimes it's just miscommunication, other times it's just a bad relationship as others have pointed out. But you are obligated to finish the work that you've started for him. Once you finish that you can start working on some other things.

Courtknee, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  10. RavenMaven

RavenMaven Peon

Best Answers:
    something I learned from my other business: contract. x-amount of words, x-turn around time, x-amount of edits...PERIOD.

Now, in my other business, I have a 50% non-refundable deposit, but I don't know if that will work for writing.

If you have to be a witch, then you have to be a witch about it. Someone who is in business will understand your policies. If they quip, then perhaps you don't want them as a client.

Just my 2 cents.

RavenMaven, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  11. redwebs

redwebs Peon

Best Answers:
    tell him to start small , and so the site can go slow and steady :)

redwebs, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  12. Power_Writer

Power_Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks everyone for the tidbits - specifically those on the thread topic of how to end a relationship with a client.

In the end, I told him politely that our working styles simply don't mesh well, but I admire his passion. I then pointed him to a few sites where he could find alternate writers.

It's funny, he said he understood and that he was going to write back saying he'd change, but he knew that wasn't true. At least he's self aware.

I get along well with this client, it's just his working style was far too manic and frenzied for me and constantly having to remind him that we'll need to renegotiate not only wore me down, but also took up a lot of my time.

Hopefully his next writer will be a better fit.

Power_Writer, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  13. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    good to hear that ur client problem is finally solved :)

angilina, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  14. ExtremistOak

ExtremistOak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wel done for sorting the problem

ExtremistOak, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  15. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is why I always create a requirements document for this type of situation. To prevent project scope creep.

I fill out the requirements document and state that this is what will come out of this project. Of course the requirements can have revisions, and let him revise it until he approves it.

I require them to sign off on the document, and if they try and scope creep it, I bring the document back and say this is what we agreed on; if you would like to make an amendment to this it will cost $xx.xx dollars.

This is a sure fire way to keep your scope under control. It also makes the user get what they want the first time around rather then edit after edit after edit. Now this is what I do with web design, however the same principal applies.

IE
    Requirements:
    500 Words
    1 Revision
    Topic about .......
    spelling and gramatically correct.

etc.etc.

Create the requirements document to protect you and him. Since what you are doing is writing, let him know that you will fix any grammar problems with this document, but revisions are out of scope, or only 1 revision is within scope of the project.

Hope this helps.

drewbe121212, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  16. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please note with my advice above, you need to try and manage there expectations as well.

This requirements document can work well for you if used correctly.

Lets say the requirements document limits what can be done, but you have some extra time. With this extra time you give your customer something that wasn't originally agreed upon. This is a bonus to him as well will usually make the customer incredibly happy.

drewbe121212, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  17. Possibility

Possibility Peon

Best Answers:
    You could always impose some fair restrictions - like a maximum number of edits per month. This would force him to be conservative and combine his edits.

Or, if it is just not worth your time, tell him you are going to finish any outstanding projects and move on. Explain to him why, maybe he will come around.

Possibility, Feb 5, 2008 IP