1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is faith a substitute for knowledge?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2008.

?

If faith a substitute for knowledge?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. idk my bff jill?

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
    Curious of people's opinions. It seems like if I were to commit myself 100% to Christianity and follow everything it says, I would be one-dimensional and not be able to see into other things as well.

Can you be faith-based and still pursue the questions of the universe?

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  2. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Faith i belive in faith only when relatd to love

The rest is all about skills hard work and a bit of luck

w3bmaster, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  3. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Why not? I do this all the time, contrary to what other's might think of me! It's a shame to think "if one is a Christian then one has been fooled. Therefore, all Christians are fools". It is this type of thinking that really brings out the worst in some people. There are quite a few in DP that think like this. It's madness!

Cheap SEO Services, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  4. burghboy

burghboy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the two can be mutually exclusive

burghboy, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    faith is a way for poorly educated people to feel like they understand something.

this whole religion thing started when humans had the capacity to ask complicated questions but not the capacity to answer them. Unfortunately we still have people like that, And the sad thing is they seem intent on dragging everyone down to their level.

Instead of working like the rest of us and coming to conclusions based on evidence the faithful look for evidence to support their conclusion. their goal isn't to understand, it's simply to justify their willingness to remain ignorant.

stOx, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  6. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmm. as i see you are an athiest, do you believe in the theory that we are serving energy?

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  7. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i haven't heard of a theory like that. It doesn't sound like something i would agree with though lol.
    What does the theory claim?

stOx, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  8. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    it was an athiest i spoke to before who was actually very smart. it's basically a theory that says energy always existed, it can't be destroyed and we are simply harnessing energy that has been here forever and will always be here. there's so much to the theory and what he knows that it's not worth getting into..

what is your theory on the universe, earth, how life began and how it will end?

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  9. Cheap SEO Services

Best Answers:
    Interesting theory. Never heard of that before. Kind of reminds me of something else ;)

10. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    like..? lol

are you referring to Christianity?

if so i'm not offended.

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  11. chulium

chulium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." -Alma 32:21

This is our definition of faith. So, I answered no. They are separate and should not be substituted one for the other. We should attain knowledge and strengthen our faith.

chulium, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  12. Cheap SEO Services

Best Answers:
    I am referring to what the Bible says about God and how he has always existed and always be. That's what it reminds me of. ;)

13. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    oh.. lol ;)

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Essentially everything is energy. The only difference is matter is potential energy. Matter can be "annihilated" to release it's potential energy. Interestingly if you "annihilate" an ounce or matter you release enough energy to destroy the entire planet.

the earth (and the solar system) formed from a gas cloud billions of years ago. The sun first formed when the centre of the enormous gas cloud condensed, collapsed and triggered nuclear fusion. the planets, comets and asteroids formed from a disk of gas left over from the formation of the sun when the particles were rotating around the collapsed core of the cloud at orbital speed preventing them falling into the young star.

Life arose simply at first. It would have been nothing more than self replicating molecules. DNA. DNA is a long-string molecule comprising of four different types of nucleotides. Nucleotides have been produce in the lab using hydrogen, Cyanide and ammonia, Common chemicals on the primordial earth. The chemicals were left to stew and eventually produce adenine, One of the four nucleotides found in DNA.

Once the nucleotides had formed the next step was to get them to join to form polynucleotides. In the 80's researchers found that a clay called montmorillonite, A substance that was abundant on the primitive earth, Was a perfect catalyst for encouraging nucleotides to join together to form polynucleotides. This initially gave rise to Ribonucleic acid (RNA) a long string molecule that has the capacity to reproduce it's self. The replications weren't always perfect, But some of the imperfect replications were better suited to the environment (natural selection at work). Eventually over millions of years the single strand RNA become a double stranded DNA molecule. Another molecule that can form easily in montmorillonite are things called lipids which have a tendency to clump together and form spherical shapes (fats and cholesterol are lipids). The long string molecules (DNA) that was most able to attract these lipids to form around it was more able to replicate and there we have the formation of the very first self replicating cell. The environmental pressures over millions of years drove this primitive self replicating cell to evolve and eventually become every living creature you see today.

stOx, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  15. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No way is it a substitute.

micksss, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  16. Kngavl

Kngavl Peon

Best Answers:
    Is a car a substitute for a banana?
    Two different things mate, stupid question.

Kngavl, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  17. dcoops

dcoops Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess to get back to the question and the context of Christianity, you have to really ask yourself:

"Can you trust me if you don't know me?"
    "Can you trust [have faith in] God if you don't know him?"

The answer is obviously no. So knowledge goes hand-in-hand with faith. I might not know if a specific miracle is going to happen, but I can know that miracles do happen - and that's where my faith takes over.

dcoops, Feb 4, 2008 IP