1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Star Listings

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by netsnets, Nov 22, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently, pedophiles and lmocr... :D

minstrel, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I most certainly hope that you are not calling me a pedophile. I expect an apology for even thinking of using the word pedophile and my name in the same sentance.:mad:

lmocr, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Ain't gonna happen, lmocr.

First, read my post, especially the part you quoted, and show me where I called you a pedophile. :rolleyes:

Second, what are you doing to correct the influence of the pro-pedophilia sites in your precious DMOZ directory? If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

4. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    You have no right to know what's going on about these sites - if you're not part of the solution, then you must be part of the problem right - you're not part of the solution since you are not involved in the discussion in any meaningful way - so go screw yourself

lmocr, Feb 13, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Charming. :rolleyes:

6. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm... not to distract from the ad hominem attacks of certain ODP editors, but...
    I do. In fact, yesterday someone asked me what a Nor'Easter was. And I happily pointed them to Kids_and_Teens/School_Time/Science/The_Earth/The_Atmosphere/Weather/Extreme_Weather/Nor'Easters. I could have just as easily told them to use a search engine, but since someone had already pulled together a list of the relevant pages, and annotated them with what to expect on the site, I directed them there instead.

ishfish, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  7. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    About $50 if you know the right editor. Don't expect it to last after payment is made though, expect the excuse that another editor "uncooled".

iconrate, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To guess what is going on in the discussions about these sites is very simple because the same excuses have been used many times by editors to defend DMOZ situation:

1- We can not do anything until we have discussions about what should be done and everybody is in agreement, we are not in a hurry. It is better to do the right thing and doesn't matter if it takes 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or until everybody forget about it.

2- These sites are not illegal, we should not judge people because they are pedophiles, we only don't list sites when it is illegal.

3- Even if it is illegal in USA, may be it is not illegal in country X, we should keep it if it is not illegal in country X.

4- Even if the sites are illegal every where, we are not lawyers and can't judge if it illegal or not, so we should keep it.

5- We should respect free speech and keep it even if we don't like it because DMOZ suppose to be a directory for everything on the web, even pedophile sites.

6- May be the problem is not with the sites but with the description and category, if we change the name of category and fix the description a bit then nobody can blame us and we can keep it.

7- Even the majority of editors are against it, we can not do anything until AOL tells us and they never do.

Did I forget any of the excuses?

May be now, you like to tell us what have you done to remove these sites or may be the temptation to stay as editor is too strong to actually take a stand against "AFFIRMATIVE VIEW" editors. :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Totally agree

Although price can jump up to several hundred bucks in some categories.

fryman, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  10. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    muchacho, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  11. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To the dmoz editor who red repped me with this quote:
    What sort of idiotic comment is that? Do you have ANy evidence to back up this claim? If so, prove it. If not, just shut up.

It would have been more productive to pm or email me, I do have aim logs and names. Someone just needs to ask.

iconrate, Feb 14, 2006 IP