1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Value of forum sites

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Lpspider, Feb 13, 2006.

How do you determine the value of a forum site? Is there something you use? I've seen phpbb forum sites with just a few hundred posts sell for just a hundred dollars. Thoughts?

Lpspider, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    They can be worth next to nothing or alot. Forums are a bit different, as they don't usually sell for xx months revenue link most sites. Forums have alot of pages are are real good for things such as weight and link sales. It's really tough to say other than on a case by case basis. But, in general if theirs alot of pages cached and especially alot of traffic than they can be worth much more than a typical website making the same revenue.

mdvaldosta, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I consider things like number of members, how active they are, how active they are CURRENTLY, and where are they active on the forum. For example - are 90% of the posts in 1 forum - like the BS forum - and not on the toipic of the site? Are all the psots by a small handful of people.

I also look at how many pages are indexed and all the SEO stuff.

joeychgo, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  4. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe id say my forum is worth around $3000 right now by revenue only, but i wouldnt sell it since i have a lot of custom coded scripts and stuff which should bring the value up

it depends on members, activity, how much you customized it, potential and revenue.

Seiya, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  5. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you would be lucky to get a hundred dollars for a phpbb site with a few hundred posts, unless there were some other redeaming quality aside from the post count.

petertdavis, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  6. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on what the buyer wants the forum for. A forum with 0 revenue, but PR5 and 100k pages is great for people who use coop/link-vault.

Sharpseo, Feb 13, 2006 IP
    SumitBahl likes this.
  7. SiCK

SiCK Peon

Best Answers:
    I got a couple of forums for vaultage and sticking dynamic affiliate pages on them. Little members but rank well for keywords on search engines. I build other stuff around those keywords on the site.

SiCK, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  8. mustangsally

mustangsally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The vast majority of forums are not worth much at all, However when they are big, they become 'more' expensive than a non forum site of competitive revenue/traffic/pr

For example, for x$, which would you rather have:
    Site A- Makes 100$ a month, PR6, 10k uni's / mo / 1 million subpages
    Forum A- Makes 100$ a month, PR6, 10k uni's / mo / 1 million posts

The point is, if a forum gets big enough, they sell for alot. Anything on big-boards you should expect to pay top dollar, 24 month style on.

mustangsally, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  9. gcool12

gcool12 Member

Best Answers:
    whats ur site?

gcool12, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  10. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    Thats exactly why I built my forum up, in a few months it has reached PR5 and over 100k pages, receives serious search engine traffic and is worth far more to than what I could sell it for.
    The COOP weight is what I was after and now I have got it that weight is worth gold to the sites I point it to.

Cyclops, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  11. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I'd just seen so many crap forum sites go for much more than they were worth, I was a little confused.

Lpspider, Feb 15, 2006 IP