1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is too much content?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by cpvr, Feb 13, 2006.

Do you believe there is a such thing of having too much content on your website?

I, for one, am in love with having content - so I don't believe so, however; I could be wrong, but nice content, such as - long, in-depth content are somewhat better than a few pages of text.

cpvr, Feb 13, 2006 IP
    William Martin likes this.
  2. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can never have to much UNIQUE content. Duplicate content is another story. Also, just throwing content up without rhyme or reason is a good way to push visitors off your site. Think of the aesthetics in conjunction to the quality of content.

jeeplaw, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you want to try and keep the page source under 100kb if you can, otherwise the entire page may not get cached (not guaranteed, but a general guideline). I think if you had a 3000 word article it would be best to separate it into 4 or 5 sections and make multiple pages for it.

mdvaldosta, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  4. CoolioVendetta

CoolioVendetta Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree theres no duch thing as too much content on a site, too much content on a page is another thing. Not only might it not get cached but readers dont really want to sit and read 3000 words, its better in smaller chunks.

CoolioVendetta, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  5. essive

essive Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no doubt that in this day and age - content is king. In fact, you are better off creating a site loaded with content than a site with great design. Another reason to focus on content is that great design takes time - a lot of time. And guess what, it won't help your site gain momentum.

-Essive

essive, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  6. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just put up several great content sites for various niches.
    And had a few replies that I should make the site design better!
    Hey, someone wanting information on say, how to make money with adsense, is not there to look at fancy colors, designs and logos.

Content is KING on the net!
    There are sites out there with not thousands of pages, not tens of thousands of pages, but with hundreds of thousands of pages.
    All rich content.

I intend on my content sites to keep adding new content, thus creating new pages, as I find that content (no, not from article directories or scraping) by asking for original content.

iowadawg, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  7. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you can have too much content, but I do want readers to get exposed to new ads, and other information on the site. So I will break up information into several pages. This way they click around to continue reading, and when they are tired, they have an ad visible for clicking and leaving.

Just one person's practice.

tom

TommyD, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  8. cpvr

cpvr Guest

Best Answers:
    Ahh, rhyme? Shouldn't that be said about poems and such? Not a lot of sites offer that kind of content, do they?

What about unique content relating to webmasters and the like - would you be in a group of your own? I doubt it, but I'm not sure.

cpvr, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  9. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly right, design will get you nowhere without good content.

And providing good content will keep your visitors coming back for more and more just to see if you have posted anything else.

This is why blogging has become so huge, it is a constant never ending supply of content being added into the blog. If dont corectly can be very very big too.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  10. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are missing my point, the statement "without rhyme or reason" is just a saying. I've seen 1000's of sites over the years just throw up spam filled crap on 100's of pages, without any design cues or structure what so ever. That's my point. Content that is designed to draw back the reader to the site, over and over again, in my opinion, will always be the content that wins out. How that content is used (blog format, magazine format, article displays 2 column, 1 column) should always be addressed by a webmaster.

There's a reason why 'hot spot' studies were done on the net to see where visitors read content more likely and in what form.

jeeplaw, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  11. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    i use a guideline of two pages of Word document per page. which means that if my article exceeds two pages in Word I will break it up into different sections.

devin, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  12. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    The more quality content you have the more secondary phrases you naturally pick-up through the search engines. A good writer is essential for this as the research they do will see them picking up on a lot of related subjects when writing about the one at hand.

An owner of a site in a broad niche with a good few thousand pages (let's say 5,000) I dare say has to ever worry about not making enough to live on if the site is monetized to a good standard. There will be so many secondary phrases people are finding your site through that will (in my opinion) make you place less focus on the main keyword phrases, which will inevatably come and go in the ranks. These I now believe are your 'bonus' income, where as the secondary phrases are your reliable bread and butter.

Pete

GADOOD, Feb 14, 2006 IP