1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to build a Niche directory. What steps to take?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by hmansfield, Feb 2, 2008.

I am looking to build a directory to compliment my blog. What do I need to know, and even more, what do I need to do?

1. Will it work on virtual hosting?
    2. Do I need to install a script first? If so , which is the best one?
    3. Do I need to mess with anything other than FTP to get it running?

Any additional tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hmansfield, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  2. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly, you should look at some of the other directories in that niche. You can use PHPLD or use the free directory script at Site Sift. Its a good one. You will need to follow the instructions to successfully install it on your server. You might have to set up a DB using PHPMyAdmin.

rosiee007, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  3. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its pretty simple to set a directory up
    you need to do some research on which script you think is the best then upload it, create a database and run the installer
    create some categories (this will also take some research to find the best categories for your niche)
    then start filling the directory with sites making sure to write your own unique descriptions for each
    its a never ending process when you start, to make it successful so be prepared and good luck!

discover, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  4. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the links and the tips.

Yes, I am prepared to go in for the long haul to make it complete, and successful..thanks.

I have myself submitted to directories , but I noticed not many allow a photo, or logo in the listing, is that something that is custom coded, or standard?

...and also, do I need to install a script, and then a template, or does the script have the template on it?

5. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    all depends on the script
    some already pull the screenshot from an online database
    you could either pickup a mod or get one written to let users submit their own image (theres a high chance this already exists)

I think most dont use a logo/screenshot for each site because it would take up too much room and get cluttered
    if you were going to use logos id suggest lower the amount of links on one page at least

the script will have a basic default template so you don't need to install one to get started and get to grips with the actual script

discover, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  6. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you need the strongest directory script phpld, ;)$25
    a keyword-rich or brandable domain, $7-10
    and last announce your new directory at dp Solicitations & Announcements section, $0, Free!
    simple like 1,2,3...
    now you can do nothing and wait the paypal payment received notification email...:D:D:D

WallaceYeung, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  7. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL. If only it were that easy. We'd all be rich.

freelistfool, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  8. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    OK. That makes sense. Maybe images would be too much.

Got the domain. I am guessing it is best to purchase a script than to rely on a free one. No Problem.

...and then the money just rolls in, right:D

9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi there, what's your definition of a strong directory script? I mean this with respect but phpld may arguably be at present the most popular directory script out but it certainly isn't in my eyes the most powerful. There are many more other scripts that have far more in-built features than phpld and that's after including all the mods they have available.

phplynx, hyperseek, myphpdirectory, to name a few, all of which out of the box have far more features than phpld and certainly as much search capabilities.

JamieG, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  10. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    of course there are other options and its up to him to research this but I think the popularity of phpLD definitely is a strong reason for considering it
    with popularity comes more options in the form of mods, support etc

discover, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  11. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you that exploration of more than one script is by far the best way forward. Although. popularity doesn't always mean that its the best, and as for mods, my point here would be that the scripts I mentioned actually already have these mods in them thus making them already far more powerful than the phpld script you mention. Support on the three expamples I've given are also very good, to exceptionally good again giving strenght to the counter claim that phpld is the strongest directory script out.

I repeat myself though when saying it would certainly be down to the individual's choice and we're all entitled to promote our preferences as long as our motives are correct in doing so.

JamieG, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  12. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe the ability to have a large community active in coding mods is important
    all scripts have these mods installed one way or another

I offer my impartial advice based on my experiences and nothing else

maybe you should be so forthcoming before giving advice also :rolleyes:

discover, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  13. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I am looking for something relatively easy to use/learn, but also, is there a difference in hosting any of them, or are they all about the same.
    As far as my hosting is concerned, will I need more of anything, or can I host it just as a blog or website?

14. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    best to go download a few of the popular ones and see for yourself
    a shared hosting will be good enough to start you

discover, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  15. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @discover:

popular does not make a script strong. within a community, then yea, but in terms of features and vertical growth,then no.

in my honest and uniased opinion, i think phpmydirectory is a 'strong' script, offering scalability(that is verrrry important) as well as easy customizations.

don't get me wrong in that i do like both scripts, i'm just giving a truthful post.

an0n, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Nima and Anonymously like this.
  16. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it doesnt make it strong per se but a script becomes popular because people like it
    I think its a valuable point to consider when looking for any script as to what kind of support you can expect if you run into trouble or want to use the script as a basis for some custom project
    I know I did and still do run into problems when trying to do different things and I can usually get some good answers from other dir owners (you inc)
    this is what makes it strong in my eyes

the most popular script I think out atm is phpLD and I have personal experience in using it and would therefore recommend it
    I know theres a lot of people using it and developing for it so if I need something (whether it be mods or support) I can find it

I dont pretend to have tried a lot of the other dir scripts (phpmydirectory included) so I dunno about it
    I did try indexu and wasnt so impressed though

discover, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  17. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I own two very niche and very successful niche directories.

If I want to give some advice:

- make it for the visitors not the link purchasers
    - Build a website with quality content around it
    - search engine optimize it well - If you choose a very specific niche usually you have less competition so this task is easier

Nima, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  18. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking. It is very niche, and I already have a site in place.
    The directory is to be a supplement to that.
    Looks like I need to do a little more investigating.

Nima likes this.
  19. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I am not sure if you understand what I say,
    it's truth.
    just like forum script,
    right now vbulletin is the king.

WallaceYeung, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are adding a directory to a blog or other CMS-driven site - check if it has already been done!

Many of the CMS programs have modules and custom coding done by others available to do exactly what you are looking to do.

I would check this prior to looking at any of the stand-alone directory scripts.

I would decide which niche (done) and how you want your site set up and ONLY THEN start looking at the scripts. Find the ones that most closely match your concept out of the box and look each of them over. All of the scripts mentioned have their good and bad points, ideally maximize one and limit the other for what you want. Check the user forums and if people consistently have trouble with X and you want that in your directory, perhaps another script might be a better choice.

Implementing pictures can be fairly easily done, but it does require a bit more work to post each listing. I'm using two different scripts for two different directories and adding the pictures was a fairly straight-forward modification.

YMC, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.