1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

With youtube videos, how do i check i have right to show them on my sites?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by joey112, Feb 2, 2008.

Okay i have numerous sites showing youtube videos.

How do i know if im allowed to show them on my sites? I thought if they had the embedd option, then im allowed to show the video on my sites?

How do i check this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated everyone.

joey112, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  2. YoungMaster

YoungMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    We someone uploads a video to youtube they are giving permission for youtube to syndicate it. So it is fine to embed them on your site.

YoungMaster, Feb 2, 2008 IP
    joey112 likes this.
  3. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks. yeh because i have a lot. So thanks a lot for this information my friend. Green karma given. :)

joey112, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  4. ::TECHMAN::

::TECHMAN:: Peon

Best Answers:
    What does this have to do with copywriting, again?

::TECHMAN::, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  5. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    This sub/forum says were allowed to post about trademark/copyright. I felt this was a combination of both. And it does have merit.

Okay well lets see. There not my videos, so i may not have permission to show them on my sites. If i do and i don't have right, thats a copyright violation. Could possibly be a trademark violation as well.

Its my first time posting in this part of the forum as well.

Joey112

joey112, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  6. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just be careful as the videos that you are using may still be copyrighted, whilst this may not effect you on the legal front, it may effect your site, for instance I had a huge site based on youtube videos that I had manually embeded -

OK so what does this have to do with it ? Eventually I had 100s of pages and it was impossible to keep track of them all, Youtube started deleting the videos as some were copyrighted and this left a large chunk of my pages with a blank or default Youtube player with random content within them.

So I was left with a site that was ranking well in Google and had lots of traffic, but the videos and content weren't there anymore - hence I was p1ssed off LoL.

thsadmin, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  7. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    Most of my sites have 300 words of content along with the videos. But i will keep that in mind. ;)

joey112, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  8. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    You may be legally liable if you embed an infringing video. What the actual ramifications are depends on several factors.

How do you determine whether a video is infringing and could cause you problems? You can't determine that a video is safe for sure, but there are videos that you can be sure are infringing. NFL games for example, tv shows, movies, etc... Those videos were not uploaded by the copyright holder so the uploader did not have the legal right to display the embed code in the first place. Well, some show clips are non infringing, I believe Jon Stewart's and Steven Colbert's clips are uploaded by the show, but most are not.

bluegrass special, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  9. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    Awesome points.

On one of my sites i show video of the screen actors guild award. Im pretty sure no one watches the replays or video of it. What do you think of that?

joey112, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  10. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    It is copyrighted and you probably shouldn't show them. On the other hand, there is no market for copies, so it is unlikely that they would try to sue you right off the bat. It is more likely that if anybody even cares that they would either send you or YouTube a takedown notice first. As long as you process it quickly that would probably be the end of it.

11. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If they don't wont embeds, then they can just turn them off !! Simple as that, embed is there for a reason for the public to use and by leaving it on you are just asking for people to use the video.

If it's not supposed to be on Youtube - then let Youtube remove it .... hence removed from your site.

thsadmin, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  12. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not solely YouTubes responsibility. If the copyright owner chooses to go after you, then he can. This is true in many counties, including Australia. The AU fedreal court decision in the mp3s4free.net case shows that they consider linking to copyrighted material to be infringement. The same would be true of embedding a YouTube video.

13. stunnaa

stunnaa Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey guys

FYI This is from the youtube TOS:

What kinds of commercial uses of the YouTube website are prohibited, and which aren't?

We've recently updated our Terms of Use to clarify what kinds of uses of the website and the YouTube Embeddable Player are permitted. We don't want to discourage you from putting the occasional YouTube video in your blog to comment on it or show your readers a video you like, even if you have general purpose ads somewhere on your blog. We will, however, enforce our Terms of Use against, say, a website that does nothing more than aggregate a bunch of embedded YouTube videos and intentionally tries to generate ad revenue from them.

stunnaa, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  14. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah that's just the Youtube Videos/Galleries/MFA policy and policing.

thsadmin, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  15. ::TECHMAN::

::TECHMAN:: Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah well the thread was first posted in the copywriting forum from whence it's been moved. Copywriting is NOT the same as copyrighting. ;)

And thanks to whoever gave me -ve rep over this.

::TECHMAN::, Feb 7, 2008 IP