1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Comments?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by younghistorians, Dec 6, 2004.

A simple question: Are blog comments effective means of getting your link out?

younghistorians, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Depends on the type of blog if it even counts as a link, but in the end, it's probably more trouble than it's worth even for the ones that do give credit.

digitalpoint, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree Shawn...

Blog Comments are a great way of getting your site known within the community.

If your blog has a lot of useful content, and you post a comment on someone elses blog (With a related topic), you could expect a link back (A real link) in the future.

The blogging community is weird, and it can really help - so long as you don't spam ;)

SEbasic, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  4. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I follow links in blog comments if they are relative. Does that count? :)

TwisterMc, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  5. fg20878

fg20878 Peon

Best Answers:
    What is a blog?

fg20878, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  6. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    A blog is basically an online journal. You post about your life, or your work or whatever you want. You can post daily, hourly, monthly or whenever. Kind of an ongoing dialogue of a subject.

TwisterMc, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  7. jeff123

jeff123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many blog software will link to your site with your name as the the anchor text. Google seems to ignore these links. However, Yahoo and MSN pick up on these too and can send some traffic your way.

I don't know whether Google also ignores link within the comment itself.

jeff123, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  8. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to shy away from posting my site on blog comments, for the pure and simple reason that it is looked down upon as spam by many.

However, if they are, say, looking for a php script, and I have a script that does what they are looking for, then I would go ahead and post a link to my site..

Josh

Josh, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    right, look at it as a mini forum if you like

Blogmaster, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  10. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    Please don't go around posting links in people's blogs. Blog owners have to then spend HOURS deleting these spam comments. It is a MAJOR problem in the blogging world. Spammers have now found my blogs and it's just really awful to have to deal with them.

Chiara, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a big difference between posting a comment on a blog, and dropping a URL.
    When you post a comment in blogger, you get a link to your profile.

When you post a comment in WP or MT, you get a link back to your site.

Posting helpful comments will reap rewards.

SEbasic, Jan 4, 2005 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    say what you have to say: no more, no less ...

Blogmaster, Jan 4, 2005 IP
  13. swaz

swaz Active Member

Best Answers:
    when i post a comment,i sometimes include my blog's url in the URL field.usually,they will be a couple of return visits.i mean if someone post a comment in my blog,i will visit his in return,out of curiousity.

swaz, Jan 4, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    it all depends. If you have something to say and what you say relates to your blog's content, Google will find it, validate it and rank it!

Blogmaster, Jan 4, 2005 IP
  15. jeff123

jeff123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I'd mentioned earlier, my take is that google doesn't count the link from the commentor's name in a blog. I'm not talking of spamming but adding a topic relevant comment ( which usually doesn't give much opportunity to introduce your own site in the comment itself). I did, however, choose a name for SE purposes (rather than my own) and a link accordingly.

When I later did a search for the link in Google using allinurl, my link could not be found. Neither did I get any traffic on those links from Google. I did get some traffic (less than 10) from Yahoo.

jeff123, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  16. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Amen. As a blogger I can tell you that people using the comments to spam their link out can be a problem. It also depends on the content of your blog. If people don't like what you have to say they can really cause a lot of trouble for you. Blog comments are not the way to go if you want to use the world of blogging to boost your position anyway. Don't worry about the comments, go get a blog and use it. I put up a blog for my online store just a few days ago and I can already see some benefits from it. Take a look here: http://mlfashion.blogspot.com. Note the links to my product and category pages for the bots to find. Then note on my site the little link in the footer to the blog. I'm finding that this approach is working out pretty well. I'm starting to see traffic between the blog page and my site, and as soon as G gets itself figured out I should have a lot more pages indexed and hopefully add some weight to my coop ads, and maybe a boost in my pr as well. ;)

nfzgrld, Jan 5, 2005 IP