1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Could anyone explain this?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by nam207, Dec 7, 2004.

My site is stories portal, therefore lots of pageviews with few clicks.

I average 30,000 page views a day, with effective CPM is $.50 (I know it's very low). The day I signed up with clicksor and set it up ad alternative ad to adsense, the rate jump to $1.00. The next day clicksor denied my application, it went back to $.50.

It's weird that in 3 weeks period, the only day I was with Clicksor is the day I has the highest CPM. Is there any chance Clicksor *boost* adsense rate? Later on I've tried others like adhearus, and nothing happened.

I hope it's just conincident and nothing else, but if anyone has different thinking please let me know, thanks.

nam207, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  2. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don'r believe clicksor will boost adsense CPM. You have to look at trend or moving average of your CPM. jump of CPM in one day doesn't explain anything.

dejaone, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  3. Developer

Developer Peon

Best Answers:

Developer, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  4. fg20878

fg20878 Peon

Best Answers:
    30,000 page views/day? You don't need Adsense to make some money.

fg20878, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  5. nam207

nam207 Member

Best Answers:
    not position of the ads, it's always in the bottom, not top, I don't want to annoy visitors. Even at that low, I still able to make average 10 bucks a day.

Well, 30,000 is nothing, I think. Adsense has premium program for people who has 20 mils page views/month. My number is still very small. Besides, not everyone visits my site is from U.S. It's half English, half foreign page.

nam207, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  6. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    having it at the bottom of the page is going to mean you never make much money. It would be like Nike only ever advertising on bill boards on rural roads or Coke only ever advertising on community radio stations.

oziii, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    oh? why's that? :)

I get three times that much traffic and adsense is still by far the best way I've found to monetize the site

disgust, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  8. nam207

nam207 Member

Best Answers:
    But CPM is not CTR isn't it? The average CTR, disregarding the content, I believe 2-3%. Mine is about 1.

I'm not worry about CTR since I'm not expecting people to click every single pages when reading (it wouldn't count) anyway. But the CPM is very low and that's what I'm concern. I believe putting banner bottom or top only change CTR, and not CPM, correct me if I'm wrong.

nam207, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  9. Developer

Developer Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't be afraid to put it on top, middle or maybe at side, wouldn't hurt to try. Any yes, fg20878 is right, with 30000 page views there must be some money :)

BTW you have more than 1 language on same page if i understand? Why is that? And is that other language in Googles list of languages for adsense?

Developer, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  10. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    CTR is one of two variables that determines CPM. (the other being cost-per-click)

if your CTR goes up, your CPM goes up. and vice versa.

1% is not bad, especially for a run-of-site ad. it could be improved, but it isn't dismal...

play with different placements and colors and ad formats, and you may be able to increase it. what works for one site won't work for all.

disgust, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  11. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never really understood why people get so fascinated with CPM. I find it mildly interesting but am much more motivated by my impressions and CTR figures (and of course my overall figures).

My theory is that if I can increase impressions or increase CTR my overall figures will go up. I also calculate my cost per click manually and watch that as its another factor of course.

Work on getting more traffic, work on your ad placement/design (which will help CTR) and work on good keywords that pay more and you'll find your over all results will go up. Don't get distracted by CPM - it will take care of itself. After all I'd rather a site with very low CPM but great overall earnings than one with high CPM and mediocre earnings.

oziii, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  12. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    No offense, 30K in impressions a day at ten bucks...um. Rethink here please. I make 700 impressions an average day last month and.....well, lets just say bank definitely a lot more by multiples.

Definitely different site, but I would look to change position of advertisng off to right so as visitors scroll is there, but not getting in the way.

If you want to make some money with these impressions definitely do this. Want to make more money with these impression, kinda crap out the content....unless you're getting a lot of repeat visitors, then definitely just reposition display. I have almost no doubt this will help increase your site revenue.

I promise, that impression rate at ten bucks a day is not a sufficient ROI. :)

Trade traffic? hehehe

Cheers

gchaney, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  13. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess familiarity does indeed breed contempt.

Have you folks all forgotten, now that the novelty of AdSense has worn off, that it is--as Weng Chiang said to the Doctor--"very unwise, very unwise" to go about spouting numbers about your AdSense operations?

To the wise, but a word suffices . . . .

Owlcroft, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  14. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what is the average cpm?

stephaneggy, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  15. nam207

nam207 Member

Best Answers:
    But again, you have to remember that content is King. Even with 700 impressions, the content of the page and the ads are matched, visitors more likely to click and if your keyword is high, one of your click probalby equal 50 of mine.

My site has lots of repeated visitors, the content is nothing new, not fresh, old and outdated stuff, plus the ads are nothing related with the content in 90% of the page.

Adsense is just temporarily way to survive, keep me from reaching my own pocket money. Later on, I will make more money with my own sponsors. Of course I'd wish the CPM, or CTR whatever higher, that's why I asked, but pay ing $280 for the server and make $300 isn't so bad. Especially when my site was started only 5 weeks.

Being having a site in other language does have disadvantage ==> adsense pays you dirt cheap, but you have less competitors :).

nam207, Dec 8, 2004 IP