1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am a DMOZ editor, I am giving up....

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fuse-box, Jan 24, 2008.

1. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most of them are members here only for a few that are invisible. ;)
    The List

popotalk, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  2. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well guess what.... i know it sounds funny but I just got blocked... just kidding :) hehehe

aspidov, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  3. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, Ok that's it...aspidov, popotalk, Ivan Bajlo...have turned this thread to little kids play ground...making fun of DP and DMOZ members and editors, scaring everyone with blocked account and stuff...

fuse-box, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Naw, they probably read it all, but, just gave you a few sample texts to explain it to you, :D.

Get some high speed and join me over on WoW, we'll kick some monster butt. I'm havin a blast since I learned how to run, :p. Me one bad dude.

@budalata

Level 24 Paladin on the Scryers Realm, partner, :).

Editing is fun, too. I'll be back someday.

crowbar, Jan 29, 2008 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool, so I wasn't fired because of my editing but because of my writings on public forum so much for freedom of speech. :p

I'm too exhausted for that right now I just added over hundred interwiki links at Wikipedia passing 4000 edits at English wiki alone which means over 8000 edits on all wikis put together... just bragging. :cool:

BTW do they still charge WoW each month? I'm way to big of a cheapskate to pay for that since I would barely have time to play entire month (even if I don't sleep at all). :D

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  6. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it was all just a big misunderstanding, ;).

Well, yeah. Sheesh, it ain't like being an editor, you actually gotta pay to play WoW. Good point though, you can be an editor for free. Course there's no cool armor to wear, :(.

crowbar, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Says who? ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  8. nudea

nudea Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there,
    Since there are quite a few editors here I would like to ask:
    what is the (general) max. waiting time for a site that has been submitted to DMOZ??

I have almost been waiting for a year now and my site hasn't been included yet. I want to avoid being put at the bottom of the list again by re-submitting prematurely.

nudea, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  9. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Maximum time?

I think that to give a realistic (but rough) estimate you'd have to tell us which branch of the directory you submitted the URL to. For the areas that have a high submission to interested-editor ratio, one year is getting close to the average wait time. For the better tended areas that might be on the long side.

There's no true maximum, you see - and there aren't any statistics keeping track of it, since that is not something the ODP has as one of its critical measurables. So if my answer seems vague, that is why.

Alucard, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  10. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    well it depends...personally i'll delete anything that is not original and full of ads and pop-ups...it depends on the editor and how fast he/she goes throught the unreviewed sites...

best of luck mate...;)

fuse-box, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  11. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    It also depends on whether the editor choosing to work there on any given day actually wants to look at the unreviewed sites. In many categories an editor may never want to wade through the suggested sites, choosing to utilize other, more productive resources to find new sites instead. Thats perfectly acceptable too. ;)

shadow575, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    So I got a red feedback to my post above saying "not the right answer". Of course I have no idea who blessed me with that, so I can only address it here.

"Not right" as in what? It's the truth, which I assumed was what the questioner wanted to hear. Rather than making up some strange half-truths, or telling outright lies. I also tried to give the answer in a respectful way, and did not try to insult the questioner with clever put-downs.

The fact that the ODP doesn't do things the way people around here would like to have them done doesn't make the answer wrong.

I don't mind criticism when it's well-placed. This seems a little "off" to me. But if that's the way people want this forum to be, so be it.

Alucard, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  13. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I am guessing it is the way they want it to be. Sad really, you have a forum thread about the subject of dmoz, you want to have discussions about dmoz, but you don't want editors actually dispelling myths and clearing up misunderstandings, misinformation, and blatant lies. :confused:

shadow575, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  14. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nobody likes the truth, usually every time I repeat my story I get a red rep, latest one was Why do you persist with this garbage?. :cool:

And my reply would be beacuse there is always someone who will get pissed off. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We all get red reps but some DMOZ editors don't have the courage or spine to sign them. They speak about how lovely my avatar is. :D

Also there was this spineless idiot (I know who he is, judging from his post recently) with a message.
    You're a failure at everything. :eek:
    If I was a failure at everything I won't have to drive a Lincoln Navigator and an Audi besides eating at Outback on a Friday evening paying cash instead of using my American Express Business Gold Card which if I was in Kolkatta or Manila or even in Djibouti making the minimum pay or spamming the web for links on sale, while kissing a$$es in the DMOZ part of the forum in the hopes of getting a shot for a limelight to gain recognition for more editing privilege and acceleration to higher rank, then your completely day dreaming with a wet and sweat fantasy, completely no idea of the outside world. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  16. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    ROFLMAO

Nice post, popo. And nice avatar also.
    And nice foughts...they reveal a lot.
    Feel so miserable because ot your success...:(

budalata, Jan 31, 2008 IP
    oggin likes this.
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey! I pay cash when I eat out, too,! Course McDonalds ain't all that expensive, :D. But do you tip well, popo, that's the big question.

crowbar, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  18. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Popo, what annoys me is even the posters that aren't DMOZ editors don't sign their negative feedback!

Oh wait, that's standard for this board, isn't it? People don't sign negative feedback, right!

So your point was.... what, exactly? DMOZ editors are no worse in giving feedback than anybody else?

Alucard, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't feel that way. Hard work always bring good results/rewards in life. That applies to you also for being an editor. Working hard, honestly (don't be corrupt), integrity and finding valuable resources to list in your cats would bring rewards to what your doing now. I had permissions to edit a few good cats myself for hard work it was just some old maid meta that pissed me off (Hi Ivan, and other ex eds and even ex edit alls) and also those surprising adult listings (corrupt listings of children predators) before and I had to run my mouth without control. Don't be like some editors here especially some new ones who likes to get attention for their self purpose.

I'm a big tipper as I worked as a server during my college years working in a restaurant at a Hotel. I know the feeling as there are customers who are so picky and would not even tip or make you go back and forth with dinner orders tipping you a few change of coins. But I would not go far of explaining things I did. I was the god of mischief. :D

I know about the reps and their use. Just go back and re-read my post of who gave me the rep and maybe you'll know that even if the prick hides I know who he is because of his carelessness in posting.

Plug in :p
    Btw I opened 2 wholesale general merchandise store with a franchising opportunity in my country and one janitorial/hotel supply store. If any of the edit alls or kokopeli or larry campbell in the category would stumble upon it, I hope it gets listed. It offers worldwide services for Filipino OFW (Overseas Foreign Workers) and expatriates as well as foreigners with online orders and delivery to loved ones in the Philippines. Also maybe if sole updates the listings (hoping for a listing sole in our former cat). As nobody looks for the pending Q's as stated except for Frank who's doing lapses in the submission pool.

popotalk, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  20. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well spoken by someone who cheated their way back into the directory. You seem to be successful at being a cheat.

I would have thought that must be a competitor site you have quoted and now trying to get it blacklisted:p

red reps, green reps and recently a blue rep, whatever they are, most unsigned, part of the course here.

Anonymously, Feb 1, 2008 IP