1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

LDS(Mormon) President Hinckley Dies

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by lpstong, Jan 28, 2008.

To those who are unaware but the LDS(Mormon) President Gordon B. Hinckley died yesterday, Sunday, January 28, 2008. He died at the age of 97 years old. He died in his Utah home at 7pm last night. He was the 15th LDS president of the church.

President Hinckley was the most traveled LDS President in the churchs history.
    Also was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush in the White House in 2004.
    Oldest living Presdent of the church as well.

President Hinckley Bio

Information from the official LDS homepage

lpstong, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. pamminikin

pamminikin Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tribute to a dedicated servant.

pamminikin, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  3. chulium

chulium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He lived for over half of the latter-day church's lifespan. What a remarkable individual, as well. He doubled the number of operating temples and the church has grown exponentially. He was a great example and a very selfless man.

chulium, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  4. konradbraun

konradbraun Peon

Best Answers:
    Not familiar with him but it sounds like he was a character that made history. I guess it just goes to show that in the end... it is not how much you got in life, but how much you gave.

konradbraun, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  5. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes indeed he was truely remarkable. His funeral services will be held on, Saturday, February 2, at 11 AM Mountain Time, in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City. If you are the net you will be able to view the services on www.byu.tv or on certain cable services that carry bonneville/byu tv stations.

The Services will be broadcast via satellite in 69 languages to over 6,000 Church buildings globally.

lpstong, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  6. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Religion is a business. I don't see what's so great about this guy

iul, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  7. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I do understand where you are coming from of not knowing or having little knowledge of the man. But here are some of President Hinckleys lifes highlights.

1. Since taking over as president and prophet of the church on March 12, 1995, Hinckley oversaw one of the greatest periods of expansion in church history.

2. The number of temples worldwide more than doubled, from 49 to more than 120

3. Church membership grew from about 9 million to more than 12 million.

4. Like his contemporary, Pope John Paul II, he became by far his church's most traveled leader in history.

5. In 2004 received the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush for "inspired millions and has led efforts to improve humanitarian aid, disaster relief, and education funding across the globe." The Presidential Medal of Freedom has been awarded to 400 receipants since its inception in 1945.

6. At age 95, made a 25,000-mile, seven-day, nine-nation journey taking care of church matters.

7. Wrote the book "Way to Be!: Nine Ways to Be Happy and Make Something of Your Life"
    ***#1 - #7 Contracostatimes

8. In 2001, he announced creation of the Perpetual Education Fund, a loan program to help young Latter-day Saints in Third World countries.

9. He was the first church president ever to provide wide access to the media.

10. Creation of Latter-day Saint Charities to distribute surplus goods worldwide to people in need.

11. December 2000, the number of languages in which the Book of Mormon or parts of the Book of Mormon was published reached 100. The total ultimately grew to 105.

12. President Hinckley also dedicated more temples than any other church authority — 85.

13. One of his forebears, Stephen Hopkins, came to America on the Mayflower. Another, Thomas Hinckley, served as governor of the Plymouth Colony from 1680 to 1692.

14. The committee, forerunner to the church's Public Communications Department, prepared numerous filmstrips and audiovisual materials for use throughout the church. President Hinckley was put in charge of church radio work at the time and wrote many radio scripts, including 39 half-hour dramatizations of church history titled "The Fullness of Times," which he also edited and produced. Another series, readings from the Book of Mormon titled "A New Witness for Christ," also enjoyed wide radio play.

15. President Hinckley was put in charge of church exhibits for the San Francisco World's Fair in 1938-39 and the centennial celebration of the discovery of gold in Coloma, Calif., in 1948.

16. During World War II, President Hinckley was assistant superintendent of the Salt Lake Union Depot and Railway Co. Later he became assistant manager of mail and express traffic for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. He was also president and director of a local company, Recording Arts Inc. He was honored in 1995 for his railroad service.

17. He also was president and board member of Deseret News Publishing Co.; and an officer or director of Beneficial Life Insurance Co., Bonneville International Corp., Radio World-Wide New York Inc., KSL Inc., KIRO Inc. of Seattle, Deseret Management Corp., Utah Power and Light Co. and Zions First National Bank.

*** #8 - #17 are From Free Republic

lpstong, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  8. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so, basicly he was good at running his business. What's the big deal about it?

iul, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  9. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Look I dont know what you have against him or where you are going with this. But for those who want to pay their respect to do so but not to go bashing someones beliefs et cetera by calling it a business. If you are not religious or want to pay respects dont post. A little respect goes a long way.

lpstong, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  10. chulium

Best Answers:
    He didn't "run" it. He relayed the messages to us from the boss. :)

chulium, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  11. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    May god be with him. All people should respect the deceased:), no matter what religious affiliation they are from.

pingpong123, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  12. Isaac

Isaac Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't think it's a big deal, why even post? You're making yourself look like an idiot...

Isaac, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  13. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, but I see all these people praising this guy for being a capable administrator and good at organising an organisation and I'm just trying to figure out what exactly is so special about that. I wasn't trying to disrespect that guy

iul, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  14. mcall

mcall Peon

Best Answers:
    He was amazing.

mcall, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  15. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And one more thing, All his service in the church was a non paid position. So I guess that would make it amazing. No stipends, no paychecks, no free suits et cetera. One of the many grea features of the LDS layman. That they do not get paid for their work of service.

lpstong, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  16. websiteideas

websiteideas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not an LDS member myself, but I have a real admiration for they way some of them live their lives. The discipline some of them have amazes me. No coffee and tea and no alcohol? I wish I had the will power to abstain from coffee. And, their focus on the family and abstaining from worldly things really impresses me. Anyone seen the movie "The Best Two Years"? I just saw it on the byutv channel on my Dish. It made me cry. I am so fond of these people that I might even vote for Mitt Romney.

websiteideas, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  17. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with iul. Some guy died, so what? I assure you greater people than him will die today alone. He ran an organisation that is full of credulous sheep, Not really the hardest job in the world.

It always makes me smile when someone dies and all these creepy sycophants come out of the woodwork to feign admiration for someone they didn't even know. We had the same crap with Diana and that old hag mother Teresa.

stOx, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  18. chulium

Best Answers:
    I'm glad that his death was entertaining for you. :mad:

chulium, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  19. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say entertaining, Rather pointless. What does entertain me is the predictable response we get from sycophants who feel compelled to mourn someone they didn't even know and feign admiration for them. :rolleyes:

Still, At least my post gave you something to pretend to be outraged over eh.

stOx, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  20. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOLL running a business?
    Did you google this man?

Shazz, Feb 2, 2008 IP