1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Threat From "CitizenHawk.com". Comments?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by DomainDiva, May 16, 2007.

I got this threatening email today (with specific info edited out)... anyone heard of this?

Dear Administrative Contact

Re: Infringement of "Acme Inc." Marks

Case#:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This trademark infringement notice has been sent to you by CitizenHawk, the leader provider of digital brand management solutions. This notice is sent on behalf of Acme.com LP, which operates the Acme Web site.

Please be advised that Acme.com LP or one of its affiliates is the registered owner of the ACME trademark, U.S. Registration No. 2254700. ACME has been using the ACME mark continuously since 1996.

It has come to our attention that you have registered the following domain name: 1acme.com.com

It is clear that you are trying to capitalize on our client’s very strong trademark rights by using a confusingly similar domain name to divert traffic to your site. Your registration and use of this domain name infringes our client’s trademark rights because it creates the likelihood of confusion, mistake or deception in that the public will be confused as to the source or sponsorship of the goods and/or services provided by you or affiliation with ACME. This type of misrepresentation is specifically banned by existing federal statutes covered in the AntiCyberSquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), which also provides for statutory damages specifically directed toward domain names which infringe or dilute existing trademarks of up to $100,000.00 per infringing domain.

We hereby demand that you immediately discontinue use of this domain name and that you assign the domain name registration to acme.com LP.

Please respond with an affirmative response to this email by replying to “domainrecovery@citizenhawk.com” by May 30, 2007. Please note your case # in the response. The CitizenHawk domain recovery team will work with you to help facilitate the domain transfer process.

If we do not receive the requested response, we will take such action as we deem appropriate to protect the ACME mark.

CitizenHawk Domain Recovery

DomainDiva, May 16, 2007 IP
  2. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    Is ACME the real name in dispute or are you just using ACME as an example?
    I do not see #2254700 at http://tess2.uspto.gov.

Unless we know the real name under dispute we really can't offer opinions as to the claim's validity.

Are you using 1acme.com.com? It is a sub-domain. UDRP would not cover it unless the plaintiff went after the com.com domain owners.

tobycoke, May 16, 2007 IP
  3. DomainDiva

DomainDiva Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't know if I should mention the exact web address -- but it IS a numeral, followed by an existing website. The site "http://www.3ebay.com" would be an exact replica -- except it's not Ebay. But it IS a huge website.

4. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    If they have a trademark and you are in the same business I would suggest taking down your site. Can you afford to fight it? Is it a 1xxxx.com.com subdomain or was that a typo?

5. DomainDiva

DomainDiva Peon

Best Answers:
    No, there's no "double" .com, it's almost EXACTLY like:

www.6yahoo.com

But it's a retail type of site... I'm not in the retail business. It was really more of an experimant to see how much traffic a typo with a numeral near the first letter of the domain would get. By the way... it turns out, not much.

Obviously they're asking that I take it down... but do I transfer it to them for no charge? I did pay for it. It would be nice to get something for it.

6. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    I was asked to take down a site & turn over a domain a few years ago by a trademark lawyer claiming copyright on a generic word. I did take down the site (I couldn't afford to fight him) but did not turn over the domain to him. I did send a letter saying that i would take the site down, not use it again, and that I never made any money on it or profited from their name. He made money by intimidating sites into paying him royalties but lost almost all cases that actually went to court - but it cost the site owners $$,$$$+ to fight him.

7. DomainDiva

DomainDiva Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I know I may sound dumb... but just to be clear:

Q: www.7ebay.com would be considered cybersquatting... and infringing on a trademark?

8. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Per se, a domain name doesn't automatically infringe a trademark. However, a
    mark holder is obligated to protect their trademark rights or risk seeing it turn
    generic (e.g. kleenex, aspirin).

Depending on a variety of factors (e.g. uniqueness of trademark, usage of the
    domain name, aggressiveness of mark holder, etc.), it's not always easy to tell
    when to let go and when to fight the good fight. But if you intend to defend
    your rights to the domain name, then stop posting here and seek legal advice
    from a licensed, experienced attorney who specializes in these things.

If the domain name contains a trademark consisting of a made-up word that's
    not found in any dictionary, your chances of showing legitimate use are slim.

Dave Zan, May 16, 2007 IP
  9. BinderGang

BinderGang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Acme is the most common of names.

Are they going to go after Bugs Bunny and the Will E. Coyote as well?

I think your fine as long as you don't use it for any use that's close to what their business involves.

BinderGang, May 17, 2007 IP
  10. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    Suffering Succotash. ACME was just an example not the actual name. ;)

tobycoke, May 17, 2007 IP
  11. BinderGang

BinderGang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AH, dammit. I thought I was so slick too.

It's 2pm here and I just woke up a bit ago. Long night last night. Oh well! Win some, lose some.

BinderGang, May 17, 2007 IP
  12. DomainDiva

DomainDiva Peon

Best Answers:
    I wasn't in their business... or any business with any domain... but had listed with NameDrive attempting to get some click traffic. Got none though.

They sent me a second email (after I sent them one saying I had taken the site down) and they said they wanted me to "push" the admin for the domain to their godaddy account. Does that sound suspicious? Ive never heard the term used that way ("Push")... so I sent them an email saying pretty much that I took the site down, that should be enough.

They haven't written back.

Hmmm.

DomainDiva, May 17, 2007 IP
  13. adrianTNT

adrianTNT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just got an email from them too, anyone knows if this is legitimate or not?

"CitizenHawk Domain Recovery"

adrianTNT, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  14. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The letter is real. Whether it's "legitimate" or not will likely require a lawyer to
    look into it.

I've since learned a couple of things about CitizenHawk, one of which is that
    this thing they're doing isn't legal in some US states.

Dave Zan, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  15. adrianTNT

adrianTNT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not in US, I am not sure how much they could affect me in this case.
    But now I droped some domains already.

adrianTNT, Jan 27, 2008 IP