1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows XP to be retired!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by farooqaaa, Jan 25, 2008.

1. questionable

questionable Guest

Best Answers:
    So your talking about regular users dropping all their app support at the drop of a hat get real

Business's switching Get Real

For an analogy, If your a master graphic artist using 1 particular software package, you wont be hired if another firm uses another package.

Now imagine the migration to linus for any company, Get Real

questionable, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  2. Barpro

Barpro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea...just get a Mac and run windows on it..

Barpro, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  3. kill71987

kill71987 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive got vista, cant remember xp anymore but i remember that it was hard to adapt to vista, took a while

kill71987, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  4. AVC

AVC Peon

Best Answers:
    If this is really what you think then I would ask have you only read about Linux or have your really tried installing and running it?

I don't want to pass judgment on you but really, Linux has become very good and it is stable. If you have not tried it in a few years give it a go, I think you will like it.

Example, My wife surfs the net and does email along with a few office type activities.

I built her a computer and installed Linux. She has no idea it is even Linux. She surfs the net, she checks her email and I installed open office and she is quite the picture of happiness. After She had been using the computer for 6 weeks I asked her how she liked using Linux.

She said... What?.... What do you mean? I said your computer is running Linux and has been all along!

She said Oh, really? The internet works well the email is fine and this office program works good so I guess I like Linux!

The point is Linux IS READY FOR PRIME TIME AND HAS BEEN FOR LONG TIME.

Those who think otherwise are those who read about it but are not actually trying it. Yes if you are a gamer then no Linux is not your OS but for a lot of people Linux is ready to be their operating system.

Simple as as that. Linux is ready, give it a shot and you will see. Linux may not be as totally idiot proof as xp or vista but really, to say Linux is not ready for the jo and jane average of the world is just to say you never shoved it in front of them and stood back to watch. I have done exactly that and Linux has passed that test with flying colors. My wife only cares if it works well not if Bill G or Linus T built it. Oh and she is an executive earning 80k per year she is not an idiot. She judges only by what works and what does not.

###

AVC, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  5. Sharonslegacy

Sharonslegacy Peon

Best Answers:
    That sucks. I really like Windows but have found Vista to be horrible. I miss my old Laptop. Everyone is always so impressed when I say I have Vista...then I tell them it sucks and they cannot believe it.

Sharonslegacy, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  6. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, I said IF. I didn't say they would, I said IF. IF they did everyone else would have to adapt, wouldn't they? Will it happen? No. HENCE IF.

D_C, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  7. earnbussi

earnbussi Banned

Best Answers:
    Well I M planning to get a MAC or Just stick to my windows xp ....
    vista sucks ny ways :)

earnbussi, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  8. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:

Can you explain why vista sucks?

I am using Vista Home, its nice, if you have sufficient RAM (I have 2 GB) and a faster processor, then vista runs fine.

iceberg, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  9. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:

Give her another computer with windows XP/Vista and ask her after 6 weeks which one is better? Then you'll get the answer. ;)

Linux is fine, I installed it, but later removed it. Because linux is not as much user-friendly as Windows.

iceberg, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  10. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder the same. Given there was a corruption problem on my laptop about 4 months after I got it with Vista on, but I didn't lose files, just settings.

On my regular PC it runs fine, nothing to complain about. I remember being much more nervous about running XP.

momonari, Jan 26, 2008 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  11. SavageSS

SavageSS Guest

Best Answers:
    The biggest problem with vista is not vista it self its the fact that most of the apps that people use have not been made vista ready. I have the same problem granted to me vista has a few issues but I have learned to work around them. I am buy no means for vista nor against it. XP was the same way when it first came out.

Vista's biggest problem is its a memory hog but 98% of the people with even a crappy computer these days has atleast 2GB of ram if not well them maybe its time to upgrade a lil bit Ram is cheap now days. Thats my .02

SavageSS, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  12. Huo_Yang

Huo_Yang Peon

Best Answers:
    can i not run adobe cs3 master collection ubuntu?

willing to go away from MS os.

Huo_Yang, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  13. Ikaruga

Ikaruga Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mmm, this is bad news for corporate network administrators...now we'll be forced to purchase new desktops along with the $200 version of the OS, since Home/Home Premium don't allow for network connections. :rolleyes:

Ikaruga, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  14. magicfire

magicfire Active Member

Best Answers:
    I still use XP even Microsoft doesn't support any more. The reason is just I don't like Vista because I must upgrade my computer's hardware to run it smoothly. Recommended of vista is too high. My budget isn't enough :(

magicfire, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  15. Proximity

Proximity Banned

Best Answers:
    Windows XP will be here forever!! I cant wait for SP3, it will be really good

Proximity, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  16. lynder

lynder Peon

Best Answers:
    "Apple - Too expensive and only for snobs"
    ^ What the heck? Snobs? Are you kidding me? Seriously???

Linux is the best. But windows is priceless. Yeah, priceless when it comes to monopolization

lynder, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  17. jshg46

jshg46 Peon

Best Answers:
    i run xp now on this machine, but im also a linux user, and for general use like, surfing the web,burning cd/dvd, checking email you cant beat ubuntu, they also have a gamers edition incase ya didnt know.but if xp ever quits getting security updates ill change over to linux no sweat.

jshg46, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  18. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it is possible to run adobe cs3 apps under linux. But they use some specific windows libraries so you will have to copy those libraries to linux (into /wine directory) and then configure them to run properly. IMHO, it is very hard to get adobe apps run under linux (but it is possible) so if you really need photoshop and so on, I would stick with windows.

Or you can run windows under linux, in virtual machine.:)

risoknop, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  19. terminator69

terminator69 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have a date? next few months?

terminator69, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  20. cybercoder666

cybercoder666 Peon

Best Answers:
    I like XP. Actually, I have dual boot system. XP + Vista Ultimate. But I never use Vista. Lol

cybercoder666, Jan 27, 2008 IP