1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is a clone a copyright violation?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Tim_Myth, Feb 8, 2006.

Tim_Myth, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  2. Nokia999

Nokia999 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think NO.

Nokia999, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  3. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is any infringement at this time based on the information on that request. If they were to copy the code or name, then you would have a case. You would need a patent to protect the general idea or process to have "idea" protection - and that is assuming no one else had already done something similar.

mjewel, Feb 9, 2006 IP
    Tim_Myth likes this.
  4. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Sell them a copy of your software. That way you at least profit if they're going to clone you anyway. :)

exam, Feb 9, 2006 IP
    Tim_Myth likes this.
  5. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    no, I beleive you would have to get a Patent for your software to make it illegal for them to make a clone of it. Now... if they reverse engineered your's and were using some of your code then you could sue them.

advancedfuture, Feb 9, 2006 IP
    Tim_Myth likes this.
  6. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    I did a bunch of reading last night, and came to pretty much the same conclusion. Since his will be written in a different language, it will be different code. Still kinda feels wrong to me, but I guess that gives me good incentive to hurry up with version 3.

I do like the idea of selling a copy of my software to them. I think I'll try that.

Tim_Myth, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  7. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
    There are tons of "clone software" bids on Rent A Coder. I'm programming ocassionaly on that site.

Most people that try to clone a specific software are generally open to suggestions and improvements and in the end the software will be as good as yours or better but different.

Unless your application does something very "niche", unique, you can't copyright an ideea. Think about zip archives, windows ( not os, the rectangular shapes of programs)..

mariush, Feb 10, 2006 IP