1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows XP to be retired!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by farooqaaa, Jan 25, 2008.

1. questionable

questionable Guest

Best Answers:
    Im sick of hearing this

Most people who spew this crap have never used linus but its cool to say so.

The linus community is great and the best.

Wait till you you have a usable OS with major application support not to mention drivers at the least lol, before asking people to convert ^^

questionable, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  2. thewolf32

thewolf32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In the first semester of 2008. The Release Candidate 1 has already been realeased.

thewolf32, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  3. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not to be mad at you, but you seems to never seriously used Linux before.

I already convert 100% 6 months ago, working and making money without windows.

techpr, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  4. questionable

questionable Guest

Best Answers:
    Actaually Im an admin on a red hat server.

Linux is still a joke for the general population which the argument is about

questionable, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  5. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Linux is a joke for the people that refuses to learn new things.

techpr, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  6. bleuken

bleuken Peon

Best Answers:
    try using PC-BSD or OpenSuse but if you like playing online games well, can't recommend anything.

Whatta a Microsoft!! What if you can't buy a high-end, high-spec computers like n our country? and we love playing online games... big investment! :(

bleuken, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  7. farooqaaa

farooqaaa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No way Microsoft will give support for XP. No more XP after January 31.

Agree with you! Ubuntu is the only way to go.

No! you can use it, but Microsoft won't give any more support for it + all new Desktops and Laptops won't have XP-preinstalled.

Thats why XP is going to retired! they want to increase the DAM VISTA sales.

farooqaaa, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  8. Briant

Briant Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, I'm getting a Mac.

Briant, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    guerilla and gauharjk like this.
  9. karbin

karbin Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll still get support for it. All windows operating systems are supported for 10 years after their release date. Windows XP will just no longer be sold on computers any more.

karbin, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  10. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Uhm, Linux*

Niiiice.

Also, if everyone converted to linux, the world would adapt to an open source community. Much better than windows.

D_C, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  11. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I won't give up my xp for the world..Apple maybe :)

Blogspotter, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  12. CasualNerd

CasualNerd Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still very happy running Win 2000 Pro and there's nothing I need which I can't run so far.

I'll only consider upgrading when I upgrade hardware and find there's no compatible drivers or similar.

CasualNerd, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  13. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ever tried any recent linux distro or are you just getting your info from thin air?

Modern linux distros require no learning curve at all.... i.e. Ubuntu 7.10 etc. It's more intuitive than windowz, nicer, more secure, faster... and it's free:)

EDIT: Now I've noticed you are admin at red hat server. Well, I don't wanna be rude but you are biased against linux distros:

Installing linux: easier than windowz

Using linux: the same as windowz... no extra skills needed

User experience: better overall: no need to defragment disk every week, basically no need for antivirus or firewall application (I mean for mainstream user... of course you will need fw on linux servers), faster (you don't need to buy new pc each year) and it's free (also most apps are free so you'll save huge money).

Features: driver support isn't the best (but that's because of hw corporations... it isn't fault of linux developers) but when you don't have some very very very old pc or some really unusual configuration, you should be ok, most features are comparable in windowz and linux (few expections but they don't matter for mainstream users that use only a couple of apps)

Should I continue?

The only reasons why I wouldn't suggest using Linux instead of windowz are:
    - bad hw configuration (but honestly linux will be good for 95% of todays pcs)
    - you are not mainstream user and you need some specific apps (photoshop, flash, 3d max studio etc)
    - you are a gamer - although you can run windowz under virtual machine just to play games... but there might be some issues

Other than that, you will be better with linux:)

risoknop, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  14. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1: Guess what? I have worked with the following Unix systems:
    -Fedora
    -Unbuntu
    -Solarius

2: Nice is a general term, don't use it. If by more secure you mean less people out to get it, you would be right. But windows puts more into their security, faster depends on the linux distribution. I have found some that go slow as crap, Damn Small Linux (DSL) never ran very well for me.

3:I'm not an admin at a red hat server, where did you get that from?

4: To install linux you will probably have to burn a .iso to a disk which most average people would have a hard enough time figuring out. Then linux asks you how you want to format your hard drive. Average people don't know that either.

5: To use linux in a world that people are so used to windows, it will take some time to get used to. To shut down the computer in fedora you have to go into the system menu, and same in unbunto although it has a button on the taskbar. Windows, its just start => shutdown. Cake.

6: Most things like games and stuff are NOT made for linux, unless its created by someone who is not selling the product in stores, it is most likely not going to be made for linux. Why do you think linux has to emulate windows? (WINE)

Don't get me wrong, open source is the way to go and it will own the world someday, but not now. Also, you kept on saying mainstream users. Mainstream users are using windows. People who are not in the ordanary, use linux.

The end, argue if you want.

D_C, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  15. CVV2

CVV2 Guest

Best Answers:
    Same of me. Windows 2000 Pro just rocks. It's the stable OS that I found. And I have tried Windows 98, ME, XP and Various LINUX!

CVV2, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  16. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was wondering... i have heard about SP3 for XP - that being said they are about to (or have) released a SP for Vista however it kinda screws up all your settings however does improve memory usage etc.

sabian1982, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  17. Gnome

Gnome Active Member

Best Answers:
    switch to linux

try ubuntu.
    http://ubuntu.com

Gnome, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  18. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Because they are made for directX. And yet OpenGL, open source laternative that is, is far better. It's just about who holds the monopoly.

About security. Yes, there are curently only few people using unix based systems so there aren't many existing viruses, trojans at the moment. On the other hand, default installation of unix based systems divides permissions between root and user. And under normal circumstancies you are operating as the user, so yes you are more secure than in windows.

Shutdown? Let's see.
    1) Windows: Start/Shutdown
    2) Ubuntu: System/Shutdown
    Well, to me it doesn't seems as more complicated:)

I agree. At the moment, Windows is better choice for usual people.

But then again, here on DP most of the people are advanced pc users, that's why I do recommend trying linux.

risoknop, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  19. Gnome

Gnome Active Member

Best Answers:
    OMG listen.

Linux has distros made for everyone.

For beginners - Ubuntu - http://ubuntu.com
    For adventurous - Mandriva - http://mandriva.com
    For intermediate - Suse.

And the list goes on.

You should start out on either Ubuntu or Mandriva.It doesnt require much learning or training,Once you get it installed your ready to go,Firefox and maybe nearly all your old tools will be there,Youll be supprised at the number of programs you used to use which were originately made on Linux

Gnome, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  20. Binarywebs

Binarywebs Peon

Best Answers:
    LiNuX r0oLs. :p

Binarywebs, Jan 26, 2008 IP