1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am a DMOZ editor, I am giving up....

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fuse-box, Jan 24, 2008.

people are sending so many submissions without even reading the guidelines and submission policies and instructions...:(

i have been doing this for two years now...and i think i am gonna give up my account and close it...because it gets worse and worse

fuse-box, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    shadow575 and compostannie like this.
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear that.

Some categories attract more general rubbish than others and it would seem that you're working in one of the spam magnets. I agree that it's pretty disheartening and I'll admit avoiding working in them for just that reason. It's meant to be a hobby, not drudgery.

If you otherwise enjoyed your editing and working in the team, why not request further permissions somewhere else - your home town perhaps? It can be very satisfying growing such a category but you'd probably have to go out and find websites for yourself. (Yes I do write down URLs written on trucks :))

jimnoble, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  3. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:

I love my category but some people don't pay attention at all and submit some sites that make you throw up :D...
    maybe i should try some other category for a while...:confused:

Alucard and robjones like this.
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As many editors here have said, looking at submissions is not a requirement. Use Google to find sites, or heh, other directories. I mean, seriously, don't let people outside of DMOZ be the reason you want to leave...

Qryztufre, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  5. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Sad to see that, but on our end from a webmaster perspective, those which we send in accordance to your submissions criteria doesn't seem to be acted upon, not even an email. I guess on one end spammers are blasting the DMOZ editors, on the other end, honest webmasters suffer from this as well from the backlog.

wisdomtool, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    robjones and compostannie like this.
  6. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Trying a new category certainly might help, sometimes a new interest can rejuvenate your energies. Avoiding the public submissions most certainly will help, in most of the categories I have been working in lately I almost never even look at those sites. Agreeing with Q (scary :p ), I use my own searches in most cases anymore. Sometimes I even find a site on my own search, that after listing it I find out its waiting in unreviewed from a public submission too.

Many public suggestions get acted on very quickly, I seem to recall a couple of posts in some forum recently that said their suggestions were acted upon within in a week of suggesting them. There are a vast amount more that are listed without ever having been suggested. Funny how you don't here them complaining that their site was listed faster than they could suggest it. ;)
    One one end you have spammers blasting away trying to get by the defenses and on the other end you have editors tired of dealing with the ones that got through, avoiding them all for more useful resources like personal searches. In the middle you have a few webmasters who mistakenly think that dmoz has a backlog, when instead what dmoz has is an abundance of resources available to choose from. :)

shadow575, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  7. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah..that's one of the reasons i think...but i try my best to make sure the site is right for the category and if i think it's right for some other category i'll send it to them.
    but most of the submissions are spam and junky sites...

8. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All DMOZ editors are plagued by spam.....

A change in categories won't help.....

Sem-Advance, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To be all honest, the directory is so hyped that every spammer in the world wants in. When you try to submit a good site, it is like a maze to find the right category to submit to. Then it is months before you even have a chance to be added. I think it is a good idea on your part to give it up. Weeding through crap to find a diamond is not my idea of a good time.

allout, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  10. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    LMAO :rolleyes:

11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That just isn't true. Locality categories hardly get any - which is why I suggested them.

It's the so-called competitive Topical ones that attract the greed driven garbage. Think gambling, real estate, travel, shopping...

jimnoble, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  12. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the category, in two years I had maybe two or three spam submissions in all categories I use to maintain... and few more real ones... only way to list websites was to search for them... :cool:

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  13. ecctao

ecctao Peon

Best Answers:
    Our web have Just add in ODP.
    You cant think out how happey I am.
    After half years wait.(neally visit DMOZ every day)
    When Sudden found it...................

ecctao, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for Regional editing, fuse-box, it's a lot more rewarding and interesting. Regional deals with all topics, so there's a lot more variety. I edited for 6 years, and quit 3 or 4 times for various reasons, sometimes RL issues of time, and sometimes because I felt a little discouraged, like you are, because of the spam/keyword stuffing/sales hype crap that submitters insist on sending us.

I guess you just have to remember that it's not always intentional, but done out of ignorance, or because they follow false advice from forums like this. It's always good to take a break from editing, but, you don't need to resign to do that, just go do something else for awhile.

I got more disgusted by some of the attitudes I see in outside forums, so it's best to stay away from them.

Now, I'm immersed in playing WoW, and enjoying the hell out of it. Too bad webmasters and editors don't form different teams and have some great fun hunting down each other, it's a great stress reliever, :D. It's as addictive as editing is, :).

crowbar, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    compostannie and Alucard like this.
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've never played WOW, as I dread the notion of it on dialup... but I used to have a faster connection (back when I lived in the city) and really could see "Team ODP" or "Clan DMOZ" really working out. Hehe... though now you'll have to join me & Ivan on "The Ex-Eds" Though there are no paladins on either team;)

Or at least another interest. I was in an occult category for a few months and there were no submissions what-so-ever... I'm sure there are many other areas of the ODP that may interest you that are slow as well... You could likely find something. Again, don't let the people on the outside be the reason you leave...

Qryztufre, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Regional Rocks !! You might want to move on to that category as it is more exciting and less spam.

Don't be bothered also if sometimes we have pain in the a$$ issues here. Most ex-eds who participate in a slugging match in this forum or other just wanted to point out some flaws and issues. Many of them are good and honest. It is a very nice hobby and at times rewarding.

Just don't mind our bar brawl. :D

popotalk, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll tell you one thing, guys, no editor has to remain an editor, there's lots of other things we can do with our free time. This idea of editors being on a power trip, or gaining in some financial way, is just way off base.

Most editors really do enjoy the work, and find it very interesting and rewarding to do, but when we hear all this garbage about being corrupt, lazy, unresponsive to the poor submitter, not performing our jobs fast enough, or actually owing anybody anything, it's a real turnoff.

It's a volunteer activity, not a status symbol, and a person can spend as much or as little time as they want doing it. It's as simple as that. I mean how bright do you have to be to become an editor? We have highly educated people, teenagers, housewives, people (like myself) with no education, retired folk, business people, as sorts of people, from all walks of life, from all areas of the world.

What's required is total honesty and integrity, and a willingness to do something good for the sake of others, by working within set Guidelines, that are followed by everyone.

crowbar, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, how'd you know I was a Palidin? LVL 21 now. Been killed off a couple hundred times. :D I've got a Rogue, too. ;)

crowbar, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  19. cdpm

cdpm Banned

Best Answers:
    so sad that another opp editor wants to quit... :(

cdpm, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok crowbar. I think we have to encourage him to go Regional not to hear your whining and crying. Simon Cowell don't cry, in fact he's a major pain in the a$$.

Go play your game quietly to ease your stress, "kid". :D
    What's an opp ? open pussycat project ? :D

popotalk, Jan 25, 2008 IP