1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Accuracy of Alexa

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by cellsaverz, Jan 24, 2008.

Hi,

How effective is Alexa at guaging a website? My ranking for a size is 3.4 million which is quite poor i think.

What is the relevancy of Alexa for SEO? Is it worth looking at? or just concentrating on SEO.

Thanks

cellsaverz, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  2. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    its not accurate.. just an estimate... don't rely on it... try some traffic counter like GA

bogs, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  3. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is deathly INACCUARTE, alexa is easily cheatable!

gotlinks, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  4. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use to see a lot of people asking about it when a site was bought or sold but not as much anymore. It is an inaccurate system and I have yet to figure out the actual formula. I had a site with loads of traffic and my Alexa number was over a million and I had a site with almost no traffic but the Alexa rating as like 120,000. I do not think it has much accuracy at all.

allout, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  5. Daniel Cassidy

Daniel Cassidy Guest

Best Answers:
    I bought a domain that had an Alexa ranking of just under 1,000,000 which is suppose to be great, but I hardly saw any traffic from it. Link popularity is more important then Alexa ranking, but it has to be links from good sources.

Daniel Cassidy, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  6. Raithe

Raithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Incredibly inaccurate and easily gamed. It is only for estimation and a rough figure.

Raithe, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  7. SEOguy101

SEOguy101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The traffic is based on data (pageviews) from people who have the Alexa toolbar installed which is a very, very small portion of internet users. So, essentially, if you and your friends install the toolbar and visit your website a lot you can make your alexa ranking look great. Secondly, anything based on a very small portion of the population is gonna have a margin of error. Instead, focus on the unique visitors and rankings of the website to gain an idea of actual traffic.

SEOguy101, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  8. plumsauce

plumsauce Peon

Best Answers:
    As a trending tool it can be very useful.

The trick is in understanding how the alexa numbers have related to your own internal numbers.

Notice I said *trending* not *absolute*. Thus, it is not at all useful in evaluating potential purchases of small sites. Of course, on large sites it's all about the paperwork, books and earn outs anyways. :)

plumsauce, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  9. leaps

leaps Peon

Best Answers:
    Forget Alexa, its heavily biased towards webmaster/search engine related sites.

leaps, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  10. Ferox

Ferox Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say that most DP members have alexa toolbar installed, so if you wanted a measure of how many DP members were visisting your site then it would be ar easonable estimate. Probably.

But it doesn't really have much authority. Just another goal to aim for.

Ferox, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  11. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its just an in-accurate toy for showing off nothing :)

britishguy, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    Abhik likes this.
  12. cellsaverz

cellsaverz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies.

cellsaverz, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  13. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do not depend much upon Alexa.. it can be easily cracked.

Abhik, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  14. cellsaverz

cellsaverz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ab - & all for replies.

cellsaverz, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  15. Vitiare

Vitiare Peon

Best Answers:
    Although the system is innacurate, I hear that a lot of ad agencies use this ranking to establish your potential income from advertising.

Vitiare, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  16. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    IMHO Alexa can be a good tool if you are thinking about buying a site or links on it. While there is very little traffic difference in a site rating 1 million as opposed to 2 million, the lower you get, the more accurate Alexa gets. Once you get to the top 5 or 10 thousand Alexa is quite accurate. You also need to understand the data your seeing. A non webmaster orientated site will have a worse rank than a webmaster site as more visitors to the webmaster orientated site will have the toolbar installed. You also need to look at the historical data of the site, if there is consitent improvement over long periods of time then odds are the site built up on it's own while spikes may show either promotion on sites like digg or even manipulation. As I said, Alexa is a tool, and can be a very useful tool if you know how to read it, but it should never be the only tool you use to determine the value of a site.

I believe Shoemoney once wrote a post about the monetary value of a high (under 10k) Alexa rank.

Roman, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  17. igme

igme Banned

Best Answers:
    Alexa is only a guide for comparing traffic with your competitor. Some of the tools is not that accurate so don't always rely on it.

igme, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  18. wmtips

wmtips Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa rankings depend on website audience. E.g. it seems more webmasters than gamers have Alexa toolbar installed, so webmasters related site will have better Alexa rank comparing to the gamers site with the same traffic...

wmtips, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  19. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    don't waste time, don't worry at all about alexa, no one cares;)

angilina, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  20. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is pretty useless UNLESS your site is in the top 10,000 sites and it is much harder to fake the value so it has a useful effect.

The topic of the site is the main factor that will decide how 'good' or 'bad' it is for Alexa.

Alexa works out the number of visitors to your site who have teh Alexa toolbar installed.
    All other visitors are not known to Alexa, only those who have the toolbar....

So a site on SEO, will get mainly traffic from webmasters who very often have the Alexa toolbar installed, therefore the Alexa rank will be very high (or a low number) if the site is popular.
    Just look at DPs Alexa rank for an example of this!

next scenario, your site is about Health Drinks and Exercise...
    teh majority of visitors are health fanatics and they dont have the Alexa bar installed....

So even if you get 10,000 unique visitors a day, because hardly any will have the toolbar, your Alexa rank will be low (high number)

Thus meaning that ALexa is only useful if your site is in the top 10,000 as I mentioned before.

I think sites in the top 1000 are hand edited so they are even more accurate .

But Yahoo.com is listed as number one in ALexa :eek:

and Google is a few lower iirc.

Judging by the volume of traffic myself and most other webmasters I know get from Yahoo.com, even for position 1 for a popular term, tells me that Yahoo has nowhere near the amount of visitors that Google has :D

just my 02c

Hope this helps anyone unsure of Alexa , to realise, that it is a worthless number for average sites

seo daddy, Jan 26, 2008 IP