1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips to coding customers

Discussion in 'Programming' started by phpl33t, Jan 24, 2008.

Tips to coding customers:

1. If your coder says that you need a php or mysql upgrade, do it. Running old buggy software is something a moron does. I will never code software for a buggy php version. You need to get with the program if you want to be in this market, customer.
    2. If your coder says that your host is substandard, they probably are.
    3. If you bug the hell out of your coder, your work will never get done.
    4. Expect bugs in beta versions.
    5. Expect a lot of bugs in alpha versions.
    6. Coders do the work originally agreed upon, don't chuck in a ton of last minute extra work unless you want another quote for a separate job.
    7. Do not tell the coder how to do his job, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd code it yourself. That is like a coder telling a baker how to bake a wedding cake. We can't.
    8. Quality has never been cheap. Cheap is never associated with quality.
    9. Don't piss off your coder, some of us will drop your project in a heartbeat and refund your money if you disrespect us without good cause.
    10. Again, don't piss off your coder. We are humans and we deserve respect.
    11. Coders get ripped off by customers just as often, so get over it and don't treat us all like criminals.
    12. Give us an iTrader rating everytime! We work hard for you! This helps us and we give you a good rating in trade. About 36 people have failed to iTrader me, it sucks!
    13. If your coder's portfolio is nothing but screenshots, think twice. Is it a coder or a designer? HUGE DIFFERENCE.
    14. Look at your coder's paypal reputation number!
    15. Don't PM your coder every 5 seconds sayng "how's it going, can I see it?" My reply woud be, "Do you want me to code this or be your PM buddy?"
    16. Chances are, that your are not the only project on the coder's itinerary. So be professional and don't waste our time.
    17. Plan your project. Come to your coder with a detailed list of what you need done. We do not read minds.
    18. A good coder chooses his clients, so be polite, logical, and professional. I don't do business with complete jerks.
    19. Good codrs code for the newest stable version of php, so you should keep your php updated and if your coder says to upgrade, don't be a moron, do it. If your host won't, then ask your coder where you should host at. If anyone knows, it is the coders. Like Safe_Mode, this should be off. in php6, there will probably be no more safe_mode and in php5, it is recommended to be off.
    20. If the coder tells you that he will try to have done early but tell you that is not a promise.... then don't hold him to it!

phpl33t, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  2. NetworkTown.Net

NetworkTown.Net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 Rep given.

That just had to be said, its so true.

NetworkTown.Net, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  3. phpl33t

phpl33t Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks NT!

phpl33t, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    bobb1589 likes this.
  4. xoixeo

xoixeo Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you,that's a good tips for service buyers and coders.

xoixeo, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  5. ideas_man

ideas_man Active Member

Best Answers:
    All great points but number 6 really sums up the Programming forum here at DP. There are so many threads from people that do not code, asking for coders to help with "simple" jobs or "minor" fixes that "should be quick" to do "for someone that knows what they are doing". All of which is often a preamble to justify a single digit budget :)

Nice post phpleet!

ideas_man, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  6. phpl33t

phpl33t Banned

Best Answers:
    Lol, I have also noticed, Ideas Man, that when they say that, the oiginal software is needing a lot more fixing than originally stated and when the software breaks again, they like to blame us for it. lol

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

phpl33t, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  7. SNaRe

SNaRe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can write a book about what is programming what is programmer what is customer etc :D Or you must create a blog to share your experiences. Because most of your posts are about this topics and it's better collect and share your experiences. If you open i will be the best visitor of you:D

SNaRe, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  8. phpl33t

phpl33t Banned

Best Answers:
    Snare, that is a great idea my friend!

phpl33t, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  9. NetworkTown.Net

NetworkTown.Net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One other thing i have noticed is people PM'ing me saying user "X" has said he can do it for $15 when you said $20 do you want to do it for $15 too?

This type of customers the coder will just ignore or just say not. Since quality does not come cheap, the coder takes some times to give quotes so final is final do not beg the coder to lower it.

NetworkTown.Net, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  10. zybron

zybron Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely a good guide. I haven't done any coding here but I do it for a living and I totally agree with all of the sentiment.

+Rep

zybron, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  11. Shawn_SycoBlue

Shawn_SycoBlue Peon

Best Answers:
    Same because almost all of that holds true for designers too.

Shawn_SycoBlue, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  12. phpl33t

phpl33t Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks y'all, much appreciated!

phpl33t, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  13. sharry

sharry Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice one, well said, I have faced most of it, they outta know all this

sharry, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  14. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LoL, thats the exact PM that never receives a reply from me.

Some great points (and colorful langauge) but definitively +rep deserved. Ah btw, as far as it regards iTrader..I believe thats a sign of satisfaction or how much one believes in iTrader (to me it doesn't bother to receive or not a iTrader, after all I was paid for the job).

Trapped, Jan 25, 2008 IP