1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory scripts

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Cristian Mezei, Feb 1, 2006.

I am trying to build an article about all the god damn directory scripts out there. PHP or PERL or ASP or not. Free or paid.

I read most of the threads here in DP (just going trough them again, after reading them in their initial phase). I also read on about 40-50 websites of directory script owners.

To complete my research, i would like for Members with at least 200 posts here, to try and help me with some of their opinions. 200 posts because i can't have 10 post users who own scripts to praise their own work.

I already know most of the users who own directory scripts anyway :)

So anybody who OWNS a directory, please gimme some insights about the script you are using. I really want true and impartial opinions.

Must be like :

I would especially like to ask some of the more known members of this forum to show their opinions too, and not to ignore this thread :)

Thanks.

Cristian Mezei, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  2. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    expertu, you are looking for scripts that can be downloaded for free or paid, right?
    Or are you interested in scripts like mine too?

muchacho, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  3. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well i am looking to make an article on directory scripts that users can download free or not, and start their own directory. :)

4. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks.
    It's a good idea for an article, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in it.

muchacho, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  5. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Now this is only on Esyndicat. I use others too, and believe many have their place under sun, each for a specific purpose (Muchacho's script looked nice to me for certain purposes, too bad it's not available. Snowblind's script, cpLinks, Barracuda or skaLinks might work for some. And so on....). From those non-niche, top of the breed, I'm sure many will comment on PHPLD, which I like too, but I decided to rather contribute with one that is less known:

Directory script name : Esyndicat
    URL of directory script: http://www.esyndicat.com/
    URL of your directory (will be included in the article) : http://www.nicheswitch.com/
    Programming language : PHP
    Type : Free standard version with footer link included. Paid pro version from $49.
    Your comments (in your own words, on any aspects of your directory script) :
    SEO friendly script right out of the box. It has seen very quick development since it emerged. Has a bit confusing (non-standard) paid submission options (Paypal only), but that will hopefully get improved. Great for free directories, and link exchanging. Templating powered by Smarty makes it quite easy to change things here and there, even if you are just tweaking the code of the 9 templates delivered with the PRO version. Link fields editor is, as far as I'm aware, only part of some 2-3 other scripts (WSNLinks,...?). Editor accounts and multi-language, link comments and news module, are some other non-standard functions. I have chosen this script as a bet on the future - I believe they will come with plenty more powerful features soon.

As a provider of submission services with over 1 year of history, that has submitted to, and seen many, directories, I would also place Esyndicat and Tolranet Directory scripts as top 2 when it comes to being most "search engine friendly", with WSNLinks only very slightly behind. I'm sure PHPLD3.0 which I didn't have an opportunity to test yet, might be also hot candidate for this criteria. PHPLD2.0 is good but missing in this respect slightly, Snowblind's script also has some unique features in that respect yet it's not as complex as others. Search engine friendly criteria here being, not only the url's, but also the ability to gain high pagerank on inner pages and subcategories, and indexation.

subseo, Feb 1, 2006 IP
    Cristian Mezei likes this.
  6. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    People, PLEASE give me some other reviews :)

7. mightymeaty

mightymeaty Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory script name : Powerseek
    URL of directory script: http://www.focalmedia.net/pseek.html
    URL of your directory : http://www.192directory.co.uk/
    Programming language : cgi/perl
    Type : Paid $399
    Your comments : search engine friendly and does exactly what it says on the box, see the main site for all the features, too many to list them all here

mightymeaty, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  8. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    There must be 32424 directory owners in this forum. I see two directories launched each day only in this forum.

Don't you guys want to see the slickest directory script review article out there ? :)

Help me.

Cristian Mezei, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Directory script name: WSN Links
    URL of directory script: www.wsnlinks.com
    URL of your directory (will be included in the article) : www.realstate.ws and www.top100vbulletin.com and an ancient version of the directory is at www.pcpropertymanager.com/wsnlinks/
    Programming language: PHP
    Type: free for the basic version and $30 for the licensed version
    Your comments: The directory is templated so updating the look and feel of the directory is quick and simple. v3 has some a long way from v1 when I first used it - but even back then it was excellent. These days you don't have to get your hands dirty with real code but it's easily updated from the templates. You can have custom pages so that extra information is shown. It would be good, however, to have a standard "submission guidelines" page.

Emails are well structured out of the box but can be edited and improved with custom rejection and approval emails catered for. Validation of sites is so simple!

I've extended the number of fields on all the directories to allow me to have additional information shown. I'm no designer so they don't look great but they perform beautifully for me.

Users have the option of becoming "members" which increases the number of links they get should their sites be accepted.

sarahk, Feb 7, 2006 IP
    Cristian Mezei and JohnScott like this.
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directory script name : PHP Link Directory
    URL of directory script: http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/
    URL of your directory: http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/demo/
    Type : Available in Free Version, and $25/75 Paid Version
    Comments: Packed with Features
    Powerful Email Link Exchange System
    SEO Friendly URLs
    Uses Language Files and is available in almost 10 languages and growing
    Unlimited Levels of Categories and Subcategories
    Google Sitemaps and Yahoo Sitemaps Integration
    Option to us "detail" pages
    Compatable with IE, Firefox and Opera
    Can Require Reciprocal Links (or not)
    And use Featured Links (paid) or not
    Can assign editors with limited priviledges

We are in a stage of rapid development now, and many more features are due out shortly. PHP Link Directory may very well be the most widely used script thanks to the awesome support of our members. Be sure to visit the Support Forums for more info:
    www.phplinkdirectory.com/forum

dvduval, Feb 7, 2006 IP
    Cristian Mezei and irka like this.
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    $2575 Paid Version

Two thousand, five hundred, seventy five dollars :confused:

anthonycea, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  12. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Don't mess my thread man ... It has two version for the paid one .. COME ONNNN .. You knew that...

Cristian Mezei, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  13. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    dvduval allready posted about PHPLinkdirectory, but I'm gonna add my opinion as well. (one of the best IMHO)

URL of your directory: none, but I have lots of experience with the different directories for my directory tracker.
    What I like about it:
    *Single submission url - I dont have to digg down 4 categories, and then find the submit site link.
    *The Search function actually works. Or more precisely, searching by URL works. Why other scripts cant do this is a mystery to me.
    What I dont like: (and dvduval, if youre reading this please you can fix it ;) )
    *The image verification is impossible to read
    *Reciprocal url detection is not reliable (eg dont seem to work if you open link in "target=new" window)

Dejavu, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  14. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    Directory script name : SSL
    URL of directory script: http://scripts.site-sift.com
    URL of your directory : http://www.estate-zone.com
    Programming language : PHP
    Type : Free / Licensed version ($59.95 )
    Your comments: Pages are easy to modify, User friendly admin panel and no need to worry about the support. :)

bentong, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  15. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Directory script name : Biz-Directory Script,
    URL of directory script: http://www.biz-directory.org/directory_script.php
    URL of your directory (will be included in the article) : www.dirspace.com
    Programming language : php, linux, usage of MySql
    Type : Free / Paid (if paid, how much for the cheapest license type, eg. footer link included). Free, footerlinks, $50,- to remove copyright links, Full script $700,- (examples of full script, sevenseek.com, uncoverthenet.com)
    Your comments: Template easy to modify with a bit of php expertise, very basic link directory script, not many features. Multi-level category system, with unlimited number of categories. IP banning. Quick respons of the script, control panel is very very basic but okay. Worked fine until I downloaded the Site-Sift Script :rolleyes:

Directory script name : Site-Sift Script,
    URL of directory script: http://scripts.site-sift.com/
    URL of your directory (will be included in the article) : www.dirspace.com (soon to be)
    Programming language : php, linux, usage of MySql
    Type : Free / Paid (if paid, how much for the cheapest license type, eg. footer link included). Free, footerlinks, $59,- to remove copyright links.
    Your comments: Quick and easy installation, create a MySql Database, point the script to install.php and off you go. Great backend admin, easy and powerful!. The template was quite easy to change. Lots of features like Unlimited categories, Unlimited subcategories (multi way tree design structure), Edit (sub)categories, Sort listings by alphabetical or date submitted, One click SEO friendly URL's, Integrated for Paypal with Instant Payment Notification(!), Offer sponsored, paid, reciprocal, and free listings, easily turn any on/off, Google sitemap integration, so many great features.. check this for the complete list of features.. http://scripts.site-sift.com/features.php. Great support forum, http://forum.site-sift.com/site-sift-listings.html
    I had some problems converting the biz-directory database to the ss-script database but worked my way around it and managed to convert the database.

Great idea Cristian, good luck with the article!

WhatiFind, Feb 8, 2006 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  16. Identity

Identity Peon

Best Answers:
    URL of directory script: phplinkdirectory.com/
    URL of your directory: zomp.org
    Type : Available in Free Version, and $25/75 Paid Version
    Comments: Fantastic support forums, great looking interface, easy to use, lots of users to seek help from, easy to edit, no script problems and easy to install. I love it! lol

Identity, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  17. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Cristian Mezei, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  18. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    WhatiFind, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  19. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    No no .. i personally know about 20 more... I just said that up until now, people have put words down, for only the above.

Cristian Mezei, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  20. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directory script name : Free PHP Directory Script
    URL of directory script: http://www.gten.net/freescript/gten.php
    URL of your directory : http://www.gten.net
    Programming language :pHP/mySQL
    Type : Free
    Your comments (in your own words, on any aspects of your directory script) :
    The script is free to use, this is new for free to use. I created this script for my personal use but later decided to share to others.

The script have simple admin where you can update, delete, approve, or deny newly submited sites. You can also add new categories and subcategories. Additional utility is that you can send email to all the webmasters submit their site to the directory.

The script also have a built-in search where user can search the entire database. Plus an additional rss feed result to all pages of the site. It was also design to be high adsense ctr.

Using the script is simple no complicated configuration....

Note: As I said while ago the script is new for public use and I am sure there are still unseen bugs of it.

Hope this helps with your current research.. :)

PinoyIto, Feb 8, 2006 IP