1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Motivation to create directory...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by vad111, Jan 20, 2008.

Hi friends,
    I need some motivation to create directory today.
    Please share your experiences of owning directory:

What kind of directory
    How old it is
    How much it makes for you
    Does it take much time?

Is there any reason to not have directory nowadays?
    Out there so many of them, I think it will take me forever to make a dicent money from it!?

vad111, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  2. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Motivation is internal, nobody will do or stay at a task for long with out it, if you do not have it now, look for other options.

DownUnder, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thats good advice :cool:

Of course it needs to be continuous too, as directories are a year round business

britishguy, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My advice is that if you don't already have the motivation - don't bother. There are already a zillion crappy directories out there, so one more would not be needed. Look around the web for something that gets you 'geared' up and go for that.

jg123, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  5. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to try something new and experiment with a concept that can bring a lot of experience to you in the long run, then go for developing a web directory.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mine a general directories.
    All aged from early to mid last year.
    Currently they make enough to keep them going.
    Theres no limit on the time spent on them really, i just keep going.

Note: I find with a paid directory your time can be spent more on promoting them, if its a free one you have less time to promote yours as your always trying to keep up with the submissions that you receive.

pipes, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  7. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    I think if you started a niche directory in an area that you are interested in, your motivation would be greater. Niche directories don't get as much traffic/submissions, though.

Artifexus, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  8. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to be doing something you love or you'll stop doing it long before you reap any other benefits to motivate you. So find something that interests you and start with that.

freelistfool, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  9. vad111

vad111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys!
    I see you are not that enthusiastic about it:rolleyes:
    Not happy to announce that my motivation is ran down a bit
    Probably need to think some other ideas of building business on the internet:cool:
    Can you tell me how much each of you make on directories?

Appreciate,
    Vad

vad111, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  10. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe if you dont feel good about starting a directory yet then put it off till the summer or something, if you are not getting excited about a new project then maybe your heart wont be in it.

Im not willing to tell you how much i make unfortunately, but im not rich, put it that way.

If you need strangers on a forum to motivate you then id look into something else.

pipes, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the others that if you need us to motivate you that it would appear you are not up for the challenge. Directories are websites that need attention daily. Niche sites like mine get less submissions, but I have to check the queues and messages daily. General directories will require even more of your time.

Money can be made from a directory, but in light of recent actions by Google and what I've learned from being on this forum - a niche directory appears to be a much better return on investment of your time and money. I think they are also a bit easier to make stand out from the hordes of other directories being launched daily.

If you don't plan on spending a great deal of time creating a unique product, your directory will just become one of the many that are created daily and offer no value to visitors or submitters.

If you truly need someone else to motivate you to take the plunge, I suspect that once you get going you will not like the daily maintenance and other upkeep required to keep the directory useful and profitable.

YMC, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  12. c4cyber

c4cyber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dear friend!
    i launched linksleader.net (my webdirectory), because i needed money to finance my education and life. I don't expect lots of bidding or dollars, but atleast i can hope for better results, if i just work hard.

c4cyber, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  13. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess everybody has a motivation to earn money.
    Better ask yourself if you're enough grown up to make business, if you're enough experienced to build website, if you're enough experienced and determined to promote your business.

And remember:
    Most of new business goes bankrupt.
    Why should it be different with directories...

dargre, Jan 23, 2008 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  14. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    good advices but surely if you are to having money to invest you are to be having others to build website for you and promotion to. Hard part is finding correct trust in peoples to work with on this which is what I find in same boat.

Good luck vad111

Jaboora, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  15. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Investing money regardless of who builds a site and or promotes it does not guarantee a return. there is a bigger picture at play.

Until you learn to trust others around you, your scope of increasing your business i limited to your time, that for most is 24 hours in one day, and your ability and not one person has the answers to all of the sum parts needed to become succesful.

DownUnder, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  16. geoneo

geoneo Peon

Best Answers:
    try a niche web directory ...think at something you really like like a hobby or so and there is the niche for your directory...in time it can earn you money of course but ONLY IF you work hard on it....$$$there you go€€€

geoneo, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  17. vad111

vad111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok,
    Let's say I create some niche directory and I work hard at it for some time, let's say 2 years, how much money can I expect from it?
    How much money do you make from your directories???
    Thanks,
    Vad

vad111, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  18. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Vad
    With respect
    ' how long is a piece of string'
    Yes, could be any length
    Well in the present very competitive climate if after 2 years you are breaking even (not gaining - not losing)
    Then you will be doing very well

Remember as some posts (dargre for example) have indicated its a business you will be running

And that takes time 365/24/7 continuously

The general rules of thumb for Directories are :-

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

Good luck if you decide to proceed but its very hard and don't let anybody tell you different :cool:

britishguy, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  19. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    People work hard all of their lives and make no money, working smart makes money.

How much ? i would say it would be possible to create a directory to achieve a good income well within that time but the $ amount will depend on what you want from your business.

In 99% of cases people will only earn what they think they can earn, so perhaps rather than say what can i earn, set a $ amount you would like to achieve then plan what will be needed to achieve that as best you can for now.

Some things to look at will be your neiche, does it have the required # of people to support it, will you have a yearly renewal for advertising, what other things can you bring into the directory to earn money, will you need editors and or other staff you need to pay, will you run an affiliate option that will eat into profits and if so do you increase pricing to cover this?.

with the incoming sorted in your mind, what costs will be involved in advertising, upkeep, hosting.

this should give you a good base and from that you can see things like how many yearly ( if that is what you choose ) do i need at xyz people to produce the required $ or do you increase the price ( this then magnifies your directory costs as in a more refined product and maybe upkeep etc / presentation ) or do you need to keep costs the same but put more bums on seats.

looking at all of these things will help give a clearer picture.

DownUnder, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  20. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the most of us find it hard to have the the motivation to continue to work towards making a directory more popular
    Its easy to throw a directory together at the start but difficult to make it successful through time
    as has been said if you are looking for motivation before you even start..put your time into something else

discover, Jan 23, 2008 IP