1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

no response from DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by aryob, Jan 28, 2006.

I didnt get any response the two times i applied to become an editor in dmoz.org its been two months now. I was editor 2 years ago. But they arent active anymore i guess?

aryob, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    I dont have the URL handy but there is some forums you can go to and check your status on becoming an editor. Usually within a day you will get a reply back on the status.

aaron_nimocks, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  4. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  5. aryob

aryob Member

Best Answers:
    thanks guys

aryob, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Gotta love it - no wonder their editors are leaving in droves:

http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41727

Actually, it's been almost two months since his first post on December 7 and he indicated that he had already been waiting "a while" at that point.

:rolleyes:

minstrel, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Funny stuff, after I was told to come back after 60 days and not make another request before then I said the hell with it and gave up the ghost....:D

anthonycea, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  8. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    The guidlines state that it could be up to two years before your site is even looked at. When you submit, you agree to the terms. You'll just have to wait it out.

cianuro, Feb 7, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and on a sidenote, if your an editor, you have the added benifit of being able to see how many sites are waiting to be reviewed in another editors queue :) (According to resource-zone that is)

cianuro, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors don't have queues. Categories don't have queues. Categories have pools of submitted sites that editors can pick and choose from as they can from Google search results and a dozen other sources in order to list sites they think are suitable. Any editor can use the submission pool in any category they have rights to edit in - and each category has hundreds of editors with those rights. As a former editall I could choose to look at any one of a million or more sites submitted but as yet unreviewed. Or none of them.

It could be six years. It could be six minutes. Average for a good quality site that stands out, on a non-spammy or non-commercial subject could be a couple of months. Average in a spammy category is likely to be infinite.

brizzie, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  11. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And it still takes months to list sites.... sure kid.

Now you might try and say, well it took months because there is a pool of sites and yours isnt worthy. Well then why do they eventually get listed after months (a year)? It takes "100s" of editors a year to realize a PR5 authority site is worthy?

GeorgeB., Feb 7, 2006 IP
  12. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    trust me, brizzie knows what he's talking about. DMOZ isn't a listing service - an editor could grow his category with quality sites without once looking through his submission queue, as infuriating (nderstandibly) as that may be for webmasters that have submitted a site in the expectation that it WILL get reviewed. And by saying 'and each category has hundreds of editors with those rights' he's also totally correct - as an editor for a category you also have editing permissions in any subcategory below it - hence an editor for a top-level category will 'be an editor' for hundreds if not thousands of other categories.

when has PR ever been an indicator of the listability of a site in the category it has been submitted to?

bradley, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    PR has absolutely zero effect on listing decisions - Google's criteria for assigning PR is an automated system, DMOZ reviews sites manually.

The pool of sites, if you include all sources an editor is encouraged to use, numbers in the hundreds of millions. Even the pool of sites submitted exceeds 1 million. Editors add around 20,000 new sites per month. Do the sums. Therefore editors tend to be selective in the subject areas they focus on - the choice is entirely theirs. It isn't a listing service for webmasters - webmasters are effectively suppliers of materials DMOZ might want to use and a submission is no more than a speculative pitch. The submission notice might not say it but that is reality and it should.

brizzie, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  14. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless, of course, you can get accepted as an editor. Then your submissions get upgraded from "speculative pitch."

EveryQuery, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  15. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Pure fantasy. I've got a number of my sites still waiting for reviews for well over a year. Being an editor doesn't speed that up.

macdesign, Feb 7, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think they're trying to tell you something, mac... :eek:

minstrel, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, that must be it. :D

gworld, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  18. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    macdesign: How difficult have you found it to be accepted as an editor of another category ?

cianuro, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  19. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    It all depends. [notice I'm not evaluation editor applications, this is just my opinion]
    If you have done a lot of good editing it is very easy to move to bigger categories in the same tree.
    from major-cat/medium-cat/minor-cat/realy-minor-cat
    to major-cat​
    But if you want to start in a completely different tree you probably have to start small there and prove you understand this subject.
    Getting into a different language needs prove of your knowledge of that language. And start small again.

If you have done only a little editing chances of being accepted for new categories is small.
    If you (as a new editor) have done bad editing (which needs a lot of correction) you will first have to improve your editng (and must do it fast) before you can even think of getting another category.

Conclusion: like the new editor applications an editor must prove (s)he is worth the category. For new editors we (most of the time) only can rely on their applications. For existing editors we have the work they have already done as prove.

pagode, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  20. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    My second category required a few attempts. I had not realized how bad my editing was. Other categories came reasonably easy, but I still got rejected a few times. It's certainly not automatic to get another, even after you have gained quite a few.

A very few editors seem to catch on right away to the ODP style, I've seen a couple of editors get the second category the day after they became an editor. Most editors take a few months to really catch on.

macdesign, Feb 7, 2006 IP