1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Private (Paid membership) areas?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Game Producer, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DP problem from my point of view, are the scammers and the spammers and unfortunately they have money too. Probably a lot!
    That won't keep them away from a paid sub forum i guess.

Jarodboy, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  2. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Spammers and scammers would just pony up the cash. I don't think a private area is a bad idea but think it should be related to those little green boxes. Those with x number of greens allowed, those without...out.

But I also think that if there were such an area, the most interesting and helpful threads would be locked away in there and there would be less support and help to be found in the main forum. That would be a pity.

e10, Jan 22, 2008 IP
    Game Producer likes this.
  3. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also agree that this would have nothing to do with scammers. Those have money too, but it would keep some paid posters that have little value to share away.

From experience... putting a paid fee on something has a nice habit of stopping the crap talk. (Or... at least heavily reducing it.)

Then of course they could be banned. Would be pretty expensive spamming to pay $100 to make one post that gets deleted & user banned ;)

I disagree that "spammers have more money" and that paid forums wouldn't keep 80-90% of noise away.

Anyway - it certainly seems that there IS lots of people who DISAGREE.

That could be an option... altough... then it might leave out those people who prefer to read & learn instead of writing. Don't know.

Hmm... so... what you are saying sounds to me that the paid membership could attract new members who:
    - are interested quality posts (ie. less-noise that would happen in private areas)
    - and you also would be interested in being here more if there was a quality place (private areas)?

I don't get what you mean by "the main problem" - looks to me like it's exactly the good thing? :)

------

Seriously: It's great to hear so many comments. I think by spotting the problems that might come with private members area it's easier to go more into this direction.

The idea about "non-paying members could not post" might actually be pretty interesting angle.

I don't know how this should be done... all I know that it would be great to reduce the noise that these wonderful forums happen to have in some discussions. I'm happy with the way things currently are, but still think that private areas might improve this site even more.

Game Producer, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  4. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why not make it an invite-only section? If a mod likes you, then you get in :)

peter_anderson, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  5. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. NO quantity should get one person in. I think that would encourage spamming. I have seen many people who posting something like 10, 22 or more posts a day just to get their post count up. Many of the post are sub par or just plain right spammy.

I think a mix of post quantity and paid membership should be thought of. That would taper off on both sides of being a DP user.

1. Ok so if it is 1k posts
    and
    2. Something like $10 quarterly or semi annually. The proceeds can be used for charity. OR can be split into like a pyramid idea and a trickle down affect. Or a free domain can be given to every time the fee is paid.

lpstong, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  6. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't we make a poll to see where we stand on Yes vs No?

tushardhoot1, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  7. zacdavis

zacdavis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be a good idea, but wouldn't matter unless someone in power was willing to do it.

zacdavis, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    We have that already, it's the private mod forum;)

GuyFromChicago, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree the statement was off base. I have seen many of our younger members more mature than the older ones. Age has nothing to do with how serious you are or how well you behave. (The right person would apologize for such a broad demeaning statement)

As far as the paid section, what is a $100 to a scammer? It would give a more secure feeling to some but will also allow their guard to come down.

The shear size of the forum is what creates the problems with spammers and scammers. The mods are doing a good job of making much needed changes to eliminate many of the problems. Charging for part or all of the forum will cause members to just get fed up and leave. This will not just be the bottom feeders, it will also be many of the quality members.

Digital Point would not be this successful if Shawn did not know what he was doing, I agree with his prior decisions not to have a paid membership.

allout, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  10. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Aarrrgh :)

I kind of like this idea... although there's one big obstacle: it would mean more work for the mods.

Yes, very true. Old or young - it doesn't matter. (Wasn't me who said though))

Like said earlier: by no means the private forums could not prevent scamming - it would only affect (me thinks) spamming and noise level.

I don't think any current parts of the forums would need to become private or for a fee. I think it as "in addition"...

Yes... but then there's also the noise.

Oh well... we are going in circles here :D

Game Producer, Jan 22, 2008 IP
    arpitagarwal82 likes this.
  11. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like a good idea. It's just paying $50 to $100 a day seems like a lot of money for the only real purpose is the get away from the cheap people who are willing to pay.

What could be offered in the area that actually benefits the premium DP members?

No, age has a little bit to do with it, For example 14yr olds and what not.

This is true but there is a far better chance that a scammer will not want in becuase of the risk of losing that $100 if they are banned from DP. And since the people would could be scammed are premium members, than a scammer won't really want to mess with them. The special area isn't to prevent scams. It's to minimize people who are just running around DP and making topics that are not usful.
    There would be no reason for people to leave. The forum will still be intact the way it was before, just with an additional feature.

Maybe this isn't the answer to the problems of DP, but it seems close to me. I don't know how we can solve it, but it seems the Buying & selling area really seems to be going bad. For the first time in my life I'm actually having a real difficult time spending my set monthly funds that I'd like to purchase for myself. I can't find very many fair, honest, and good deals around dp.

Laceygirl, Jan 23, 2008 IP
    arpitagarwal82 and Game Producer like this.
  12. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    GrAveTzT kinds of sum this all up (expect the amount... not $100 daily ;))

Game Producer, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  13. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It may have taken a while but Crazy_Rob and the rest of the team seems to be taking steps to deal with the problem. There are many good deals and a lot of honest members on here. The problem was it was buried by all the garbage posts. They are taking care of those problems by banning the crap that is clogging up the forum. Including the many stumble exchange threads you like to do.

What kind of deals are you looking for?

allout, Jan 23, 2008 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  14. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm looking for good deals too, not that bookmarking spam junk.

Maybe they can make a paid area for the stumbles!

PS. I don't drink, and I'm still using VHS. k, thanks.

Karen May Jones, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  15. tushardhoot1

Best Answers:
    I started using this forum when I was 12, just last year. Even then, I was more mature than several older members on this forum.

tushardhoot1, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  16. peter_anderson

Best Answers:
    well, those who are invite can invite others :) plus, since theres another thread complaing that its taken months to get a custom user title, i dont see how this forum can cope with more members paying

peter_anderson, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  17. zacdavis

zacdavis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's an easy solution for this. Just simply ask for more volunteer mods.

zacdavis, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  18. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Hmm... if it would be "invite only"... then in that case something tells me that it would be just a matter of time when some people invite some other people who start selling invitations :rolleyes:

Game Producer, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  19. tushardhoot1

Best Answers:
    Make it that you only get 5 invites, and that only members who get to an X position can invite.

tushardhoot1, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  20. peter_anderson

Best Answers:
    So, everyone agrees that making an Invite way is better!

And, zacdavis they cant get more mods. Asking for mods isnt the way they do it here, they invite people.

peter_anderson, Jan 25, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.