1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am new to CMS and need a SIMPLE cms script

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by dpakman91, Feb 6, 2006.

Where should i start? i searched around this forum and found a lot of htreads about CMS scripts for specific applications, but i just need something simple for a new website so i can get away from hardcoding everything...ideally something with a nice tutorial/readme telling me how to get it set up... :p

dpakman91, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Mambo, Joomla and Wordpress are relatively "simple" and, if you have a hosting deal with fantastico, it should be able to install any of these for you :)

Lever, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  3. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is what I use, really easy, man even I can use it lol.

superpump, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  4. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    i do have the fantastico deal in my cpanel, and joomla and drupal are both available, along with mambo open source and many others.

before i install it, what is the process (or atl east where can i read about it) for integrating this into my website. i have several add on domains on my hosting account, and am not sure exactly how i will get the CMS to the correct website and then use it...if that makes any sense.

5. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Try Snews ....

solucija.com

iatbm, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  6. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it is really nice .. easy to install and just use some css/html template ... dont get afraid .... you will need at least half hour to see what is this all about .. there is also forum on page i gave you solucija.com !!

iatbm, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  7. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    probably you have a map called exactcly like subdomain ... in www pointing to public_html !

iatbm, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  8. IceTheNet

IceTheNet Peon

Best Answers:
    well I say first it's a tit for a tat! you see CMS is not easy to use but powerful in the way the way it is delivered. you will most likely need some skills to set up and use. you would be best to stick with the most popular because they are somewhat easier to use those would be drupal and jamola/mambo or phpNuke. I would suggest for begining use phpNuke. there is a nice one available at cpgnuke.com

IceTheNet, Feb 6, 2006 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  9. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    CMS Made Simple : http://www.cmsmadesimple.org

Long time since last used, but it was pretty simple, even I was able to apply a custom theme on it very quickly.

subseo, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  10. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Hmm... not quite sure what you mean about integrating this into your website? Do you want to install the CMS as a section/folder of an existing site or do a clean install?

I run a seperate cpanel for each domain, so using fantastico will install the CMS in the root of each domain by default unless you specify otherwise. The business site in my sig was a clean Joomla install from fantastico. And the good thing about fantastico is that you can so easily uninstall the set-up if you don't like it.

Lever, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes i agree cms made simple is the easiest one .... i do not use it thou, but when i saw template it was using i was so excited by what i saw that i use it now on one of my sites :)

iatbm, Feb 6, 2006 IP
    _vlada_ likes this.
  12. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    i do want to do a clean install...i see the option to install it on the root of a subdomain, so that takes care of that. i guess my question is do i administer the ENTIRE website from the joomla admin panel, or do i still use my WYSIWYG editor as i normally do to create the layout?

13. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    ok, good news....i have joomla installed and ready to go on my server. now i just need to get it customized and get all the options set...any tips on what i should do upfront that will make things easier for me in the long run? there seems to be so many options, and no real guide or faq for the script.

14. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Joomla was designed to be run from the panel so anything done on, for instance, Dreamweaver is effectively outisde the system. Do you have a site currently up & running at the domain for which the CMS is to be on the subdomain of? And is the subdomain to be based on the style of the main site for instance?

The reason I ask is that I had a similar issue the other day where I wanted blog capabilities on an existing site. Being familiar with the simplicity of Blogger I thought I'd hack it into the existing design and came up with this which uses the exisiting nav without too much giveaway that it's powered by blogger. The rest if the site is administered in Dreamweaver and the Blog just throught the normal Blogger interface.

<edit>

OK good to know you got Jooomla up and running :)

Basically I'd say just play - try make it do what you want. Unpublish all the items you don't need, such as the modules or menu items, or rename them for your own purposes.

Try installing Joomla templates, you can switch them really easily, and have a look at Anna's Mambo Tips to get a feel for the system. Mambo and Joomla are still very similar so the knowledge is virtually the same (for now ;) )

</edit>

Lever, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  15. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    gotcha, now that i messed around with the admin panel i understand. now i just need to go through the menus and slowly get the website setup. i can tell this is a great script though and will make things much easier in the long run.

16. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Cool :) Yeah, just toy with it. Try tweak the structure first and then go from there. You can add custom modules as you need them, and before you know it you'll be hacking exisiting ones or developing your own.

Lever, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  17. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    Alright, i've started to set things up and i have some questions that i couldn't find answers to in the help for joomla...

1) How can i change the default logo?

2) if someone wants to take a look at what's on the site now and give me some tips, that would be GREAT

the link is www.absolutelyipods.com

I think i need more blocks on the right side to even things up

18. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    In admin select SITE > TEMPLATE MANAGER > SITE TEMPLATES

You may have a small default selection to choose from

You can add more by, for instance, going to JoomlaTeam and downloading one of their templates. Save it to local drive, go back into your site admin and

SITE > TEMPLATE MANAGER > NEW

Browse to the zip of the file you just downloaded and hit "upload file & install"

Back in SITE > TEMPLATE MANAGER

You can then select the template and install it. You may find one with a better "header" that is template width :)

Lever, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  19. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:

Hmm, i think i mean with the existing default template, how do i replace that joomla logo with my own?

20. webinsane

webinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    webinsane, Sep 3, 2007 IP