1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you optimise to get more US search traffic on .co.uk domain?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by qwestcommunications, Jan 19, 2008.

Ok, I have this site with .co.uk extension. The site is equally relevant to US as it is to UK users because the niche is not restricted to UK traffic. However, since I have .co.uk domain, I was wondering what would be good ways to increase US traffic from the search engines to the site. Although the site has almost an equal amount in US to UK traffic, I think if I had a .com extension there would be even more US traffic, possibly substantially more than UK.

Its quite an aged domain, so how do I go about getting more US traffic?

qwestcommunications, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  2. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In Google webmaster tools, there is a feature where you can select location of your site e.g. USA.

infonote, Jan 20, 2008 IP
    KC TAN likes this.
  3. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that is not possible becoz country tld are already associated with there respective areas with no option to change!!!

gsv13, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  4. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    infonote is correct. Go to your Google Webmaster Console account and select tools. You can select your target audience there :)

KC TAN, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  5. mascot

mascot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Normally your website stays within a particular IP address for atleast one year. Suppose, you previously hosted your website on US servers. Now if you shift your server to UK based, then google will consume atleast an year to refresh its database. Google has updated its database, and this site is displaying new rankings on google.co.uk. Similarly for changing your domain from .co.uk to .com.

There are four leves of search results as given below :):-

Level A ( Google.com when accessed from US)
    Level B ( Google.com when accessed from UK. This gives slight preference to UK websites)
    Level C ( Most of the times Google will redirect those who click google.com directly into google.co.uk = Google.co.uk [the web]. This doesnt always consist websites from UK. It could contain websites from US, Scotland and other nearby regions. However google.co.uk gives preference to websites hosted within UK )
    Level D ( Google.co.uk [pages from UK] specifically belongs to pages having IP within UK).

In this case particular case, optimization process needs to be geared towards scoring top rankings at LEVEL B.

You can try getting some nice links at level B. This will ensure higher rankings in google.com *(USA + UK) :cool:

mascot, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  6. Gatorade

Gatorade Peon

Best Answers:
    The tld shouldn't matter, you just need to keep on working on building back links.

Gatorade, Jan 21, 2008 IP