1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Convert from indirect to direct links, hurt PR ?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by colin008, Feb 5, 2006.

Would it hurt the Google PR of a estabilished directory, if it was totally converted from an indirect type link structure to direct type link structure ?

That would mean 1500 links on about 100 pages would be changed to direct links instead of indirect....

colin008, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  2. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't say about Google PR for sure but you will be giving some value to the linked sites :)

vlead, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  3. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    Colin008,

In order to transfer your PR and link/page age you will need to issue 301's individually for all of the old URLs to their new ones.

I've done this several times on different sites and issuing a large quantity of 301s seem to confuse the SEs for a month or two after which they settle down to the old levels.

Making the switch and not issuing 301's will result in 2x duplicate pages for your entire site - which is not a good thing.

classifieds, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  4. colin008

colin008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is a good point classifieds, however what i was meaning...

If a directory has 1500 links in its database and displays say 15 indirect links per page, (100 pages in total)

Then all the 100 pages were changed to display the links as direct links, would this affect the Goole PR ?

colin008, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  5. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmm.... in theory yes, practically - not sure. There was some model of calculation of PR somewhere in the threads recently, maybe it would help.

However I have an advice for you. Make a details page for each of those links, if that's possible with your script or programming skills. That makes it 1500 pages more, ie. 15 times. If you can get it indexed, you would have by far outweighted the problem of leaking PR (if any).

subseo, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  6. colin008

colin008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now that is a good idea, thanks for that subseo.

colin008, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  7. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    colin008,

You are very polite and tolerant of those who do not carefully read your posts :eek:

In regards to PR, you do not *lose* it by linking to others. However, the pages you link to will receive a pro-rata portion of the source page's PR based on the number of links on the page. So you end end up diluting the amount of PR that is passed.

I hope this answer is a little closer :)

-jay

classifieds, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  8. colin008

colin008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now your talking, yep that answers the question.

Thanks for the info.

colin008, Feb 6, 2006 IP