1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whos the youngest on DP?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by proskater, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of people here that don't take their business seriously. If you are one of those people, then yes, go get a Masters or PHD.

I know a guy who got a degree, and then spent the next several years doing bullshit jobs like delivering pizza so that he could own his own business. In the meantime, he had to watch his buddies drive by in their new Mustangs asking him what the hell he was doing. Today his net work is in the 8 figures and he's making 7 a year. His friends are just now finally paying off their new mustangs. Sorry, even 5 PHDs working for someone else won't make you that kind of money, no matter how smart you are.

In the end this isn't about money to me, and I don't think its about money to most other entrepreneurs. Its about doing what we want and being in control of our own lives.

Cutter, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amen brother!

Blitz, Feb 3, 2006 IP
    GTech likes this.
  3. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess thep oint I was making is tryinto make all yor moeny primarly through ad revenue isnt really viable for most people. I found that I had made the most money online in the shortest time was by selling 'goods' not ad space.

Dont underestimate offline advertising and business.

And there is nothing wrong with working under someone if it builds your expierence.

Setting up a few webpages with some ads on it doesnt make you a business man nor a business owner. It doesnt make you an entrepreneur either.

IamNed, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  4. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never made much money in ad revenue, 99.9% of my money is made from selling products and services.

Blitz, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  5. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not much of my money comes from adsense either...

Never put all your eggs in one basket!

dsm56, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  6. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im 16 ive been buying, selling websites and domains just on a year now my monthly revenue is around $300-$400 a month with domain sales etc it can reach $2k-$3k some months better some months not as good but i guess thats the same for everyone.
    Im hoping to build a portfolio of sites this year and not have to work when i am at university.
    Im still learning alot so i have a long way to go before making the Big $$ but i guess everyone has to start somewhere, also my friends get pissed off that i make more then them and dont really do anything when they have to work 4 times a week.
    Thats the most rewarding part :)

Morgan, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  7. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How do you buy sell domains?
    Just buy unregistered domains good and sell them for more?

Or buy on digitalpoint and sell on sitepoint?

Just wondering...:)

dsm56, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  8. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I register names i feel are valuable and could be developed then i seek out end users which might be interested in purchasing.
    I usually sell 5-6 names a month over $150.

Morgan, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  9. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    ... May get into that, but I am not sure if I can right now with all the work being done on www.bizlinked.com :(.

I am the same age as you morgan...

Later!

Nanofied, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  10. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Um most domain names sell for $0.00. just check dnforum or sitepoint marketplace or ebay

But if you can find profit in that more power to you

IamNed, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  11. ashiezai

ashiezai Peon

Best Answers:
    just celebrated my 22nd B'day. I'm now making a steady income of $2k/month. Started to do online business a year ago --- just after i discover SeoChat, DP and sitepoint. taking my university course at glasgow.

why dont DP appear earlier in my life?? :D

ashiezai, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  12. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    I just spent 3k on a domain a little over a month ago and got a damn good deal. With certain exceptions, almost every "good" domain has already been registered. The domain market has built up some incredible momentum over the past year alone and isn't about to slow down. For the guys who built up portfolios of good domains over the past 2 or 3 years, big pay days are coming up. Some domains have been going for 7+ years of PPC parking revenue, and I expect 10 years revenue will be common by the end of 2006.

Cutter, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  13. ashiezai

ashiezai Peon

Best Answers:
    wow .. 3k over a domain? i couldnt understand the rationale of this .. maybe because im not into the domain business.

7+ years of PPC parking revenue? holy ... i will need 7 years to cover back my cost? incredible .. Just curious how much can a park domain earn by PPC?

ashiezai, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  14. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm 18 and making some money with adsense. It's improving. Last month I made $30 and so far this month I've made $9.

Am I the biggest thing around? No.

I do it more for the fun then for the money.

Skinny

Skinny, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  15. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    3k was an absolute bargain. There is no shortage of overpriced domains for sale right now, but this was a deal of a lifetime (well not quite, I shrugged off domains 10 years ago when the registration was $100 a year thinking it was too much.)

A good parked domain can earn quite a bit, but most domain investors have to have a portfolio to get a sizable income. There are even a handful of guys pulling in hundreds of thousands a year off of PPC domains. However, its really too late to get into this game unless you've got a lot of money to start with.

The best approach now is to develop the domain. The reason why is because PPC parked domains get 99%-100% of their traffic from type-ins. That means they miss out on all of the search engine traffic, link traffic, and word of mouth traffic. The downside is that there aren't very many skilled developers out there and once you develop a site you have to maintain it -- vs just collecting the checks for parked domains.

Cutter, Feb 4, 2006 IP
    ashiezai likes this.
  16. ashiezai

ashiezai Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanation :) leanrt a bit more today. But im not into the domain game . i've way a lot more to do :)

Have a nice day!

ashiezai, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  17. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Um peple have custom software that can grab type in domains. These are big players form indonesia and india who can grab thousands of type in names at a time.

Go to sedo.com or dnforums.com and you will see 99 percent of domain names dont sell.

IamNed, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  18. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why would it be from indonesia and india?
    A domain costs at least $6 to register so im pretty sure everyone does it, not just the emerging asian markets :)

dsm56, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  19. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Um you can get yahoo domiains for $3

That beats go-crappys 50000000000 domain minimum bulk register

IamNed, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  20. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm 20, been doing content websites and web design since 1998 when I was 13. I make a bit more than some of you making $1200 a month, but I don't like to share my income :p

Anyways, glad to see some of you making some money, but keep in mind $1200 a month isn't going to last long once you get out on your own.

Scott Botkins, Feb 6, 2006 IP