1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Rebound (My Theory) and your thoughts ??

Discussion in 'Directories' started by smub, Jan 18, 2008.

As we know alot has been going on in the directory world recently. Many upsets due to the 3rd party ranking system. Well, what we ended up here was bunch of whiny directory owners. Whining about the fact that their directories got penaltized by google, so no submission. Others were whining that they are not getting any submission due to google stuff. Well i asked several of people who i know own directories. Majority said they stopped advertising when google first did the hitting. Since then they were scared so they didn't promote. My friends, you will not get any submission if you don't promote. That is why i released my theme Elimination (more info) so some directory owner can get the inspiration. I have seen my good friend Pete has been trying to make this point for quiet some time.

My main motto has always been make the site for your users. Not google. Who cares if google is your highest traffic source. I mean if you like to rely on them so much then i don't feel sympathy for anyone of these people who got penaltized. Old saying "Do not put all your eggs in one basket".

So what i am trying to say is that you can still promote. Best way to get traffic to your directory.

Add a blog. Write about new things. If you can't find anything write about new technology. Like new apple. You will get indexed in other Search engines and recieve little traffic. But i believe little is better than zero.

Then go ahead and keep promoting. If more people know about your site .. .google will be like we can't stop them because too many people know about this site.. so screw it. I mean why did google only ditched yahoo dir a couple points in pr ... and bigweblinks a whole lot. They know they can't do much damage to yahoo, so no point in doing that.

Well, i know alot of people are happy to see about aviva comin back in index and many have questions like HOW?

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogs...-buying-and-selling.html#c3472672623485281109

Perhaps a look here to see what exactly happened. It was not necessarily aviva which had faults. It was how it had other domains redirected to it and those 301 directs ... and severe interlinking like alive directory network. Thats what made google look stupid. I believe if you read shoemoney's blog you should see a great video about Don't make google look stupid ... watch that. If you don't know who shoe money is .. i hope you know who an0n is .. .yes Rob.. i remember long ago in his signature he had the link to that video. If not ... go to www.shoemoney.com

I think directory owners if you stop caring about google and still promote and get traffic on your sites ... i do not see why anyone wouldn't submit to your site.

smub, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    deluxdon and centime like this.
  2. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    Good points, smub. It's funny, I was just reading something today that said aviva was redirecting domains to point at the directory to get the backlinks, and that was part of the reason why they were in trouble. I knew they redirected one, but if there were several (many?), that might have been a problem. Thanks for pointing out that post.

I bet at least one directory owner is breathing a sigh of relief, I wonder if any others are? And I wonder if anybody at the Googleplex is breathing a sigh of relief...IMO, such a reputed and popular site being penalized, not even ranking for its own name, really DID make Google look STUPID.

Glad it's resolved, hopefully permanently.

Artifexus, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  3. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    there wasn't that many domains pointed but interlinking was another major issue such as linking to all the sites in the network, sevenseek, aphacnic, and others... and as jeff bought sites he redirected some of the site pages to the blog ... like he bought phpldtemplates.info and redirected to aviva's blog. But matt clearly said in response to my post and jeff's post that we should use parking service rather than redirecting that traffic to our sites. so no 301 directs for me unless i m doing a no www. to www.domain :)

i think if the users start fixing their sites and remove interlinkings and the directs and make a request for reinclusion i believe they should be treated the same (No guarantee).

smub, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Syed for an excellent OP

Suffice to say you know our opinion ;)

Will be adding another post for sure on this thread later

britishguy, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    smub and deluxdon like this.
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @Smub

Thx for the info smub as many things that matt pointed out
    where not known to myself and will make immediate adjustments on
    mine as well and send a request. :D

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    smub likes this.
  6. newbie3

newbie3 Peon

Best Answers:
    nice said

I'm glad i'm listed on diferent paid directories. I'm still having about 200 unique visitors a day
    Before my google penalty it was 800 uniques/day.

Google look foolish punishing a website with 800 uniques a day

I'll keep promoting my website, if they like it or not.
    If i don't do it, my google ranking wil drop also. So what difference does it make?

newbie3, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  7. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that smub, twas a valuable insight into Google, and I actually feel happier about Google

I say this cautiously

The main issue is Trust,

IMHO

This has been known for a long time,

centime, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    smub likes this.
  8. Muqadas.Wattoo

Muqadas.Wattoo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google will not want us to do business because it is totally against them. Directories taking google business and google will never ever want this. Again a request to directory owners. Not to stop....don't give up. We are as competitors for google.......

Muqadas.Wattoo, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    smub likes this.
  9. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will always have the last word in this fight.

hyper, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jeff will fill us in soon with some info on a blog post.
    He's been really busy and has lots of family stuff to take care of; family is always first ;)

I've read the http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/12/information-about-buying-and-selling.html
    and can clearly see what needs to be done in order to achieve trust back into google.

I am extremely happy for Jeff, his directories, and for the information which has been provided via Matt Cutts.

Now it's time to chat with Chris next, so we can See Alive, Dump, eWeb and other quality directories set a standard to follow and get back to where they rightfully belong.

There is only one question which remains, and seriously boggles my mind; How did rxxxw(fill in the blanks) go unscathed during all of this? Every directory is interlinked, and we are talking way way more than Chris ever had, I myself ever had, and Creed doesn't even interlink. Also as far as promotion, there was just as much as us....

It leads me to believe there is more to this, so I guess things will remain to be seen.

an0n, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  11. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the thought I had. It's not just Jeff's directories. Other people also deserve their hard works. I hope there is a way to solve the issue.

I suspected that those got penalized initially were due to the massive cross-linking. But ultimately like Matt Cutts said, there is a human monitoring involved. Mine did not get penalized when the big boys did. But eventually it dropped to PR4, 3, now it's 0 :( All I think is that someone reported our directories to Google. (Or better to think someone visited DP forum to drop bomb on all DP directories)

coolsitez, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  12. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont understand why you are using this "third party ranking system" phrase
    sounds like BG brainwashing at work
    I know he wasnt using this before he lost his PR

If you had a directory penalised you would be "whining" as you put it, also.
    The majority of webmasters who had a penalty applied want things back the way they were.
    If talking about amongst ourselves can make this happen then a bit of whining wont hurt

nice crowbar of your new theme into the post :rolleyes:
    your advice to keep promoting is well..useless to be honest
    if your site is penalised no amount of promotion will bring you back
    there are obviously some things that google has come down on and these need to be reversed..that is after we find out what they are..
    I imagine interlinking, paid links and sitewides should all be looked at

this penalty seems to be about artificially increasing pagerank so any contributors to that need to be looked at

I think you are naive to think you or any webmaster at this moment in time can survive without google
    you wanna go against them thats your decision but its hard enough being in the google index and still trying to be successful

I think after reading the post you were so reluctant to share even though it was public shows that the information given by Matt Cutts to get Jeff outta the penalty wont actually be related to a lot of directory owners in learning why they are penalised and how to get back
    we wont find out by a case by case examination with MC but if we can get some more information from a few of the other directories Id imagine it can be applied to the rest in some manner

discover, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    pipes and aspidov like this.
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i guess we could only hope so, and for the benefit of the nice as a whole.

According to the blog, I actually did a lot of what was mentioned even before reading through it all.

I do know for a fact that the gay parade of idiots were reporting the directories I mentioned above, and falsely accusing us of something we were never a part of.
    It was especially funny when right after some received a penalty(if you will), they proclaimed and proceeded to announce how they are the 'greats' and 'best' and better than everyone else, only to get slapped themselves, and then 'leave' the niche.
    Ah well, in time...

an0n, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  14. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That makes me thinking too.. rxxxw is still promoted on search engine blogs where matt comes often.. Though survives.. I think its coz of lot of unique content.:)

Thanks for a great post smub. :cool:

MeetHere, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  15. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    discover i like to see you are one of the person who have no business but like to criticize but your comments are always welcomed ... ofcourse i am very naive .. don't you read my profile page (newb) i refer myself to that ... this is my theory just a little of what i thought ...

smub, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  16. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will criticise when I feel like I should
    you talked in the other thread like you had some secret you werent prepared to share with us
    and when you open up a thread to talk about it you go off talking about your new template and how promotion is the key?
    I dont pretend to be some master of knowledge either but we are all trying to work out whats best for our sites..maybe if we all put your new template on our sites we would get outta the penalty :p

discover, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hahahaha!! that made my day!

an0n, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  18. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    Are you really to be thinking you challenge Google? http://www.news.com/Google-fourth-quarter-profit-nearly-triples/2100-1030_3-6155180.html I am being respectful to hard working peoples but being reality is we are to be fly's on Google, nothing but a nuisance to its results.

Jaboora, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  19. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lets give it a try.

I made the new template to send out a message thats why i mentioned it. The template doesn't even have my link on it, so you can see how much it is benefiting me :)

It was a secret technically to alot of people because they weren't aware of what was going on.

smub, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  20. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    @Jaboora, completely off topic but what is it with all this
    Are you really to be thinking
    Here is to be being my mind on
    I am to be newbie
    You are to be creating duplicate content
    I do be seeing a good man inside of you
    I am to be sure many peoples
    I am agreeing to not being