1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ the most important Link?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by batman4444, Aug 2, 2007.

1. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course not. As I said, I was naive about it.

Speaking of categories, I find it humorous again that competitor websites in another website category have 8 listings, IE: http:/search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=ffinsider.net

I thought I read something about only submitting to one category? No really, no offense to those who volunteer there and stuff but I understand why everyone is now bashing DMOZ and saying it's useless.

Between, I'd like to thank the idiot who gave me bad reputation points for no reason. Hiding behind aonimity, of course. Now I can't post links. No-life retard.

momonari, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you truly think it's a case of abuse then by all means report it, but keep in mind that DMOZ was founded on self-inclusion so don't expect your complaint to get very far...

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=topix.com]

You read it wrong. It said that deep links are not the norm, but there is nothing that is truly against them. They are allowed at the whim of the editor...

http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/site-specific.html#deeplinks]

I'd say you were very much welcome, but I didn't waste the -1 that would have been returned to me ;) Though don't fret it, if you post good stuff you'll get the power back!

Qryztufre, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a green for you. :)

popotalk, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL... "Idiot" and "lowlife retard". I'll contribute a red.

We've kinda tried to reduce flames in here (I know I have)... and I'm pretty sure the guy that gave you the first red won't run outta friends before you run outta greens. I'd keep it civil, junior. Thanks ~ RJ :)

robjones, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  5. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to be really desperate and pathetic to lower my reputation when I contributed normally to this discussion. Well at least calling you pathetic feels worth the rep hits. Pathetic people.

6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hit just hit you for namecalling, and I owned up to it publicly. You want love spread it around. You want something else, call a lot of people names. Go figure.

7. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I insulted a lot of people by saying that I was rejected a number of times and that there are corrupt people there. Oh the offense. Go figure. That wasn't worth a reputation hit in the first place.

But I'd like to thank the people who pushed me back up. All hopes isn't lost.

buratssky likes this.
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you called a very large group of people a "No-life retard" in a post that has nothing to do with the topic.

What did you expect?

compostannie, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well bear in mind if he'd called ME a lowlife retard I'd have just sorta shook my head and agreed. :)

10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    True, and we would ALL have agreed with THAT.

Alucard, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Alucard and RJ agreeing the heavens are about to fall in. And for the record it twas not I who gave you the red rep, even though I thought about it:D

But for the record lets recall that momonari called us
    "those bastards"
    "website is a joke"
    "Only reason to be an editor is to sell spots"
    "stupid"
    "it's useless"
    "desperate and pathetic"
    "corrupt"
    "pretty shallow"

You also commented about another poster on here
    "idiot"
    "No-life retard"

and you wonder how you got a red rep, the op is naive.:eek: And op comes on here for help?:rolleyes:

I don't think I want to waste one of my reps to give him a red. Distinctly not worth it.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  12. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    You're obviously pretty shallow (add that) but I got a bad rep hit after my FIRST MESSAGE that said only reason people wanted to be editors was sell spots. Again I refer you to freelance websites where people constantly get DMOZ listings.

Now will you drop it or do you absolutely need to have the last word?

13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Done as requested.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is either an exaggeration, over-generalisation or a huge insult to every ODP editor.

That set the tone.

As for the last word - you were the one whining about the red rep, and others have now responded why you got it.

Alucard, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  15. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    Seeing your need to post in this thread after 2 days, I'd say that the no-life comment stands stronger than ever.

momonari, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  16. hotelbookingpro

hotelbookingpro Peon

Best Answers:
    It is quite difficult to get into DMOZ as the editors has the category has their own sites in that industries. So they are biased towards submission unless you are submitting to a category that is not popular or there is no editor around.

hotelbookingpro, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    No editors "have" a category - there are tens of editors that can (and do) edit in ANY category. If you feel that an editor is editing in a biased way, blocking their competition, then please file an abuse report.

Alucard, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that has happened before because I've reported it, but it isn't as common as rumored, and it gets corrected if discovered.

My own site was in one of my first categories when I became an editor. I added a lot of my competitors, then got moved up to edit more categories and enjoyed doing the role. Never saw a need to go delete or otherwise harm competitor sites (even if I could have done it without getting caught, and I suspect I would have been caught).

It is a mistake to assume editors routinely bar competitors from entry. Just isn't the norm. Most sites that fail to get in either don't fit the criteria or are just the victims of a big internet and a comparatively small number of editors to enter sites.

If the site you want to get entered is in the hotel bookings industry, good luck. It's a tough one to get in... a lot of spam and junk sites get submitted in that area, making the good ones as hidden as a needle in a haystack.

robjones, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  19. dillontim

dillontim Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree. I have read so much about corrupt DMOZ editors.. But I still wouldn't mind a listing from it though

dillontim, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    So your admitting to doing editing based on your self-interests! According to DMOZ meta who sent me a warning when you actively search for competitors websites to list them and even cool them it is called self-interests and you can be removed for it! :p

Luckily I had small niche categories and managed to list virtually all useful websites on the topic which existed on the net... and most of their webmasters probably never even heard of DMOZ, but know all those categories and totally neglected... :(

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 21, 2008 IP