1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Business Of Free Webhosting

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Devious Design, Jan 17, 2008.

I just posted on a forum that I needed hosting and this 17 year old kid offered to give me free hosting.
    1) Your 17- How do I know your site will be online next week?
    2) What do you get out of offering free hosting?

The funny thing is that his site looks like is was this giant company, but he's really just a 17 year old kid from Oregon or whatever...

(BTW, I need paid webhosting. Gmail me at DeviousDesigner.)

Devious Design, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  2. joesmoney

joesmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I was using ehost.net to host my 40 website, until January 2008....the entire servers went down and all my sites data was lost....lesson there back your site up....I didnt, because their support had been brilliant.

Over Christmas I reported easch website down and never got a reply until 2 days ago, so I have cancelled the subscriptions and Ive moved on to digitalcityhosting.com it seems good so far!

joesmoney, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  3. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Search one out that exists for a long time and is very popular with an active forum, like http://110mb.com

Most freehosts disappear, some are there for the long haul ; those are the ones who read my sig I guess :))

Kwaku, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    guruguy likes this.
  4. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Peon

Best Answers:
    AndrewJ, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  5. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.

It's a cliche for a reason, "You get what you pay for"

As for Hostgator, yeah, no thanks.

Barefootsies, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  6. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you require a lot of support you maybe shouldn't be in this business; however I know a few freehosts that have better support than commercial ones. I have noticed that a lot of larger paid hosts have crappy support for 'smaller clients' and that small paid hosts are *usually* run by people with very limited admin/system knowledge (cpanel is enough to run a host; no it isn't!). In those cases it might actually be better to go for a well run freehost; for free hosts; if it is 'older' and has a lot of members it is 100% sure they have good people on board and a business case.
    I am not saying you should or should not choose free hosting; I am saying that people here are overly negative about it, while they are positive about a completely worthless hoster like Hostgator. To me that only proves a lack of knowledge and research into the matter.

Kwaku, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  7. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So true friend.

There are soooo many other good hosts out there, it's baffling the gator gets to many referrals.

It just shows further how little people know.

Barefootsies, Jan 18, 2008 IP