1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Licensing ideas?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by KenYN, Jan 17, 2008.

I manage to regularly come up with new (well, new to me!) ideas for how to sell stuff or blog niches, new twists on old ideas, etc, but I have a lack of free time to implement them.

Most of my ideas are one-off sort of things that I couldn't really spin out into an ebook, or I couldn't see me selling more than a dozen copies, or preparation of the book would take just as long as implementing the idea, etc.

I've thought of hiring programmers or site designers, but I have a concern about trust and having them steal my ideas, etc, or even just that to polish up their work would take as much time as just doing the whole thing myself!

What should I do?

KenYN, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  2. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You pick a designer from a country where you could sue them (i.e. you are in the US, you pick a US or Canadian coder).

You then have them sign a NDA.

Barefootsies, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  3. KenYN

KenYN Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a sensible insurance, but my ideas are in the $500 to $2,000 per year range, so I suspect the cost required to set up a legally binding agreement would soon eat all my profits!

KenYN, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  4. jlogic

jlogic Peon

Best Answers:
    I say make some friends and offer both sharing of the risk and profit.

The idea means nothing until it's implemented.

jlogic, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  5. Barefootsies

Best Answers:
    If you are planning on being in this business for more than one idea,..

having a lawyer draw up a NDA for $500.00 is money well spent.

2 cents.

Barefootsies, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    NDA for an idea isnt worth the paper it is written on so isnt work investing a lot of capital in getting something drawn up, just use a basic template you can find online as it will act as the scare tactic they are really used for in these circumstances (NDAs are only really worth while when data rather than ideas are being transfered)

$500 per year profit from selling something? To be honest I can certainly see why you arent bothering to develop any of them if they are in this low range but not sure why you would even be considering doing anything with them.

Licensing isnt really going to work as either they need to be a proven success ($500 per year isnt, $500 per day really isnt that great either) so people buy on trust or you need to give 95% of the idea away to get people to buy into it and pay up.... would you pay $2,000 to someone who tells you they have a great idea on how to sell something but wont tell you what the idea was and has no proof the idea actually works in practice?

AstarothSolutions, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  7. Barefootsies

Best Answers:
    Agreed. I did not even address the money aspect. But it's small potatoes. Even if you made your $10 a day adsense crumbs, you would make $300 in a month.

Barefootsies, Jan 18, 2008 IP