1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

From search engines to directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by uniqueasitis, Jan 17, 2008.

You know shouldn't we directory owners unite to launch a campaign where we educate people about how usefull directories are and that they should use directories and not search engines. After all search engines are so famous because people are taught to use search engines. I for one find some very good sites in directories as opposed to search engine results is that just me?

uniqueasitis, Jan 17, 2008 IP
    WatchOut likes this.
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your concept is bold and futuristic but it will happen, but will be a long hard road, not this year but nothiing wrong with being pro-active now :)

britishguy, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  3. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a plan, a master plan even...

aspidov, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  4. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm a have a plan too, not quite a master plan, maybe a mini master plan :D

Not sure if there is a large enough community of pro-active directory owners to actually make anything work nowadays though.

SilkySmooth, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  5. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the concept of educating people to use directories. But figuring out how to implement such a campaign in such a way that will inspire people and also attract the support of many directory owners and script builders is probably the sticking point.

Obelia, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It wouldn't work, its not a rude comment or anything, but what you suggest uniqueasitis will not happen, i even believed in it till about Dec 2007.

Not trying to be controversial or anything, its just one opinion.

pipes, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  7. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What made you stop believing Pipes ?

DownUnder, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  8. Marty_

Marty_ Banned

Best Answers:

Build a new browser that attracts a young audience, your home page can be a directory of directories or use your imagination, you would be surprised the amount of people young and old, that don't change there browser home page.

It could even be a new skin for an existing browser once you can implement your home page or search bar addon, your in so to speak.

Marty_, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, my personal opinion only and also influenced by my personal preferences is that i feel that while directory owners themselves will of course be the best people probably to attempt to educate others about how useful directories can be, through their own past and current experience, that it would probably be underestimated the sheer time and effort needed for the proposed task.

I feel it would be a full time job in itself, requiring more than one person and their time would need to be dedicated to this solely, i feel a directory owner trying to promote this, as well as their current own projects would become too much.
    So one or the other would suffer, they end up neglecting their own directories or the campaign to educate people on them would become neglected.

Regarding my personal preferences i would like to see it only run by non directory owners, not friends or associates so that nothing would be biased, but then if they are not directory owners i ask myself how would they know enough about the business, so thats when i reach my conclusion of it could never work.

I feel momentum would soon slow to a halt as how excited could anyone or group of people be excited about doing this full time.

pipes, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  10. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well....

Indeed you bring an interesting theory as the SEs use directories for thier data and results and that
    was shown when they quiered thier own Directory this last PR update which told me that we are an
    important part in gathering info for their search results and always have been.

Can we compete with SEs... chances are probably "not at this time" due to their overwhelming budgets
    and their massive popularity and ease of use that makes searching for data easier and faster as well as
    everyday more and more people are systematically taught that SEs are where you go to find info.

Can we change this?... sure

I believe that it takes 2 important factors to make someone want to search your database for info..

1. Speed
    2. Accuracy

Verbal communication is the key in "Speed" and probably the most important factor off what will change
    users way off thinking search engines are where its at.

"Accuracy" can be achieved when directory owners change their way of thinking and stop allowing anything
    in thier index for the sake off a few bucks and improve editorial standards.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  11. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I think that is a very hard task to achive, pipes made an excellent example above and I agree with pipes, for example it seems the web directories need something much more interesting, a browser for example could be a good example, however would require a whole bunch of promotion and I think a new unique idea must be brought in order to have a chance against search engines.

Take in mind, that search engines are advancing, and the more power we let them have, the harder it gets to convince users to use a web directory in front of a search engine.

- Meti

WatchOut, Jan 17, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  12. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    What web directory owners need to do is get search engine hits for their topics. When that occurs you start to see people bookmark your site and then return if your directory is actually a valuable resource. I've even had a few articles written about one of my directories by other people who ran across it.

Bottom line, the public loves the search engines right now so you have to focus on traffic from them as a starting point to providing a successful web directory for the public.

freelistfool, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  13. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting thread, well here's my take on it

1, Search engines are essentially supercharged directories, however, they have irreversibly upped the ante in terms of the general directory business. No 1 man, 2 man, 3 man, operated general directory is going to match or even gain a perceptable share of the market for the forceeable future

2, The few really big directories like botw, joeant, business.com are virtually on their way to becoming search engines

3, Does anyone here have any Idea of what Google, Yahoo and MSN spend billions of dollars on search engine costs for,i.e. massive server farms, thousands of staff, armies of programmers, bandwidth, buying the occasional 100 million dollar company :) , plus lots of nice PR people

4, I think the future for small DP styledirectories may lie in many directions
    a, be one of many small directoryowners who run it a a hobby, ad perpertum
    b, go bust having spend thousands waiting for that elusive tipping point
    c, find a new angle which actually works :)
    d, build another botw.org over years of hard work, unlike IMHO cos i don't think they have long to exist either
    e, Become master of a small niche full of enthusiastic USERs who prefer a niche directory and have a need to
    constantly refer to it,
    f, continue as is, the on going peddling of links hoping for better, but never quite getting there
    g, loads of other possibilities that are beyond my ability to forcee.

For 2008, me suggest

Stop following the crowd, or the apparently influential, no one, not me, not anyone knows whats coming, an this is proven continously

Stop being surprised when apparently mighty directories fall, all are built on shaky ground

Understand that while you are pursuing the directory dream, there may well be other internet based ventures for which you're better suited.

And no, I am not being negative, just voicing an opinion, an hoping for informed discussion

centime, Jan 17, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  14. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it is hard to do it but one day someone can come up with genius directory idea combined with other fancy staff.

xc06, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would be great for 50 directory owners to get together and invest $100 each and get a custom search engine built that spiders all the partner directories. Something like that could have some nice long term potential.

jg123, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  16. redphoenix123

redphoenix123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing..this is really cool.. :)

redphoenix123, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  17. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it is a very good idea and it can work but will it no because we directory owners tend to make a fuss against each other so often we can't be united unless everyone stop attacking each other because all i see here is attacks on others. Then trolls (who claim to own directories) ruining more and more unity.

smub, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  18. dugu

dugu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly my opinion. We should stick together, it would be better for us. We should try to make a difference out there, not stub each other. We should use our energy in a positive way. We should be a community.

dugu, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  19. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    should be but we never do because there is always someone....everyone play politics ...

so you really cant make anyone a leader because people can't agree on one thing and then they rebel.

so it won't work until those people leave this industry

smub, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  20. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another good thread, it can happen and it needs to start with each person, in that if every one looked after their own backyard to make it the best they can, then slowly things will unite.

DownUnder, Jan 17, 2008 IP