1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are Trackbacks?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by sixty6, Feb 1, 2006.

Hey, I own a few blogs here and there and I use WordPress for the majority of them. I love WordPress, especially their pinging service and plugins. But one thing I don't understand is the Trackbacks. Can someone please tell me what Trackbacks are and what they do, would they help with SEO?

sixty6, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  2. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    trackbacks are when you link to another blog page or site, it notifies that 'post' that you linked to it so other people can read about what you wrote about it.

Here's some more information for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackBack

fsmedia, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  3. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh i get it, that's pretty cool! Thanks!

sixty6, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  4. Brons

Brons Peon

Best Answers:
    In a way, trackbacks allow you to comment on other people's blog while posting the actually comment on your own site.

Brons, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  5. jaymcc

jaymcc Peon

Best Answers:
    Can i ask something about this? When a publish a blog posting and put in a trackback link, how does wordpress actually do the notification?

Is it just by virtue of the link, or does wordpress do something special when I click on save?

Thanks

Jay

jaymcc, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  6. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    It tries to ping (aka: notify) the other site to let them know. Most blogging platforms have the ability to accept these notifications.

chachi, Feb 2, 2006 IP
    Lever likes this.