1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you get a link on 10,000 plus pages on a single site would that penalize your site

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by texisman, Feb 2, 2006.

If you get a site wide link on a site that has 10,000 plus pages indexed by google, would that get your site penalized or hurt in any way or would it help it.

Sorry, just realized this should probably be placed under link development.

texisman, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  2. Brons

Brons Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it would hurt you. As every site could simply destroy you by putting links to you on all their page's. But if it's too spammy Google would probably just ignore the links or 'derate' the links.

Brons, Feb 2, 2006 IP
    texisman likes this.
  3. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    From my experience this hurts the serps, they are not just ignored because this is more likely to be done by a webmaster than a competitor. If this is done by a competitor then it is the responsability of the webmaster to remove them.

enQuira, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  4. samm27

samm27 Peon

Best Answers:
    mhamdi,

What you are saying has wide-reaching implications. What experience specifically led you to this conclusion?

thanks!
    sam.

samm27, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  5. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not saying this is how google works but this is what I noticed. I compared two of my sites, very comparable (not in content, though in the same niche), the one that got the site wide links, the directory submissions and all paid links is not ranking well compared to the one that got very few relevent links.

enQuira, Feb 2, 2006 IP
    texisman likes this.
  6. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    I put a link to another site next to my DP ads with keywords randomized from a list, and it has made them rise in the serps, quite a bit on msn. I think they have risen on yahoo/google as well, but I haven't verified that carefully.

nddb, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  7. texisman

texisman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really understand what you're saying.?

texisman, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  8. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think so in fact it will be a big help since your site will be crawled more often. Remember to place your link on a page that has only few link :)

maldives, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  9. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have sitewide links on a couple sites - definately hasn't hurt me that I am aware of.

SportsOutlaw, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  10. Worldwid

Worldwid Peon

Best Answers:
    Just one site doing the site-wide linking, and all the links being one way, you will not have any problems.

Site-Wide linking can get you penalized by google, I have had a setup of around 100,000 pages, split up among 7 sites.

One on : Cheap airfare, vacations, cruises, hotels, car rentals, etc

Each page on each site had a link to the other 6. While this strat worked great for yahoo and msn, and still these sites rank high on both of those engines even today(i did this about 4 years ago), Google has completely dropped all 7 websites from their index within about 4-6 months of them being online.

---

Anywho, one thing you will want to remember is to have a variety in your anchor text. If you can come up with say 100, or maybe even more different sets of anchor text and use them instead of having the same link text on each page, that would be much better. Also if you could have some pages link to your sub/inner pages -- that was also be an added benefit.

Worldwid, Feb 2, 2006 IP
    texisman likes this.
  11. ashiezai

ashiezai Peon

Best Answers:
    I think somehow google will find out and filter out some site-wides .. i used to be #3 for allinanchor .. and i continue to purchase site-wides until it's now nowhere to be found.

I have 88,000 BL reported by yahoo. But the real BL is much more than that.

ashiezai, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  12. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Google specifically state that what another webmaster does cannot hurt your you as a webmaster.

This is not always the case as BH'ers can get sites de-listed through some rather creative ways.

But as a general rule it "shouldnt" hurt your site.

Same with having 1 anchor text for all inbound links. Shouldnt hurt your site providing they are 1 way links. Take a look at the george bush site for "miserable failure"

There are tons of links with just that anchor text.

However google is combating the site-wide link problem, by filtering many of the same links from the same IP address and class. That is how they are getting around the problem.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 2, 2006 IP
    texisman likes this.
  13. kausik

kausik Active Member

Best Answers:
    It shoudln't hurt you by any means.

kausik, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  14. texisman

texisman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everybody for the advice. I went ahead and took the link.:) Who is that pic of btw kausik, I've seen it in others avatars?

texisman, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  15. dannyz

dannyz Guest

Best Answers:
    Way i see it the more links or more sites the more google will spider your site? aint this true? if so how oucld it hurt ursite unless of course they tend to think your cheating?

dannyz, Feb 3, 2006 IP