1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is This The End Of Paid Link Crap By Google?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by iPod, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your solidarity. I think all penalties by are manual. They are applying 3 way penalties-- making sites PR0 ( there are many sites/blogs besides directories with penalties), giving 30/40+ serps penalty or lowering my PR.

As far as my penalty goes- its 100% manual - pls have a look at this URL
    http://sphinn.com/story/1392

Yes, my directories too have lots of backlinks increased --but no change in PR and some don't even have PR.

What I believe is, the war on paid links is a continuous process by Google team. So we will have to work harder now to build- links. So be careful guys:D

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  2. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Many of the Directories that have gained their PR are perhaps those that have removed all paid links and have been vocal about it, but writing to google, posting blogs etc etc. Overall a good sign though.

Blogspotter, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  3. williamjack

williamjack Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i think i am luck to maintained PR of almost my all dirs, expect 1 pr3 turns to pr0.

williamjack, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  4. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So far mine is still a 3 but PR does not matter to me. If the update is really happening right now, wouldn't we not know if the update is final for awhile? Doesn't the PR jump before settling down to correct number? This something i always have trouble figuring out.

snakeair, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  5. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Riddle me this: if google have a war on paid links, then how is that they allow advertising promoting paid links ? they can not with one hand say no to this and on the other allow advertising to promote it ? can they

In a way i feel sorry for people who do not have a life outside of PR, some people need a girlfreind or hobby i think as many concern themselves with others business instead of focus on their own.

DownUnder, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  6. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some have it all ;)

iatbm, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  7. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah i believe my directories all went from pr1 back to pr0

I am not sure yet tho . just need to wait for a week and see what will happen

Dreads, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  8. silverpot

silverpot Active Member

Best Answers:
    mine shooping directory has lost pr 4 to pr0. but blog from 0 to pr3.

silverpot, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  9. robibrk

robibrk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MY dir got PR2 from PR0

robibrk, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  10. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The update is happening, but it's not finished yet. Give Google some time to see the final result. I am sure some of the directories that lost PR would gain it back. It's too early to know what's up. ;)

coolsitez, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  11. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are also rumours that this update is based on a snapshot taken in November...this is why they have updated the backlinks at the same time with updating the PR. I think there is still time for more surprises :)

loredan, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  12. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion: only the new directories will (probably) get a higher PR,because they were not discovered as being web directories from Google. The old and established directory is hard to believe that will get a higher PR on the second,third,etc PR update. I tend to believe than a web directory has only 3-4 month of glory, then Google fucks it soooooo deep. It is like this, you get a new domain...invest some good money in it, develop, unique shit, etc...the PR update comes, you get PR 4-5-6-7, you sell 500-600 links, you make some money(dunno if you get your money back?...) and they on the next PR update you get PR0 or in the best case PR3( penalty PR, example: zorg-links.com ). This business is not for those who suffer with their hearts.

On the other hand, a free directory is seen like a "free for all" directory. Link farm as Matt Cutts said.

Doesn't matter if you sell links or not,if you have a free directory or not. Google has declared war with directories, and I tend to believe that will not be long untill they will develop a solution for this.

But hey, Google is not the only search engine...heads up!

hyper, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  13. JasonJan1

JasonJan1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. The most important is the traffic to you're website. I'm myself are keeping more an eye on my alexa ranking, than on my google pr.

Greetings

Jason :)

JasonJan1, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  14. domainpubber

domainpubber Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google seems intent on converting every link in the world to "nofollow". In this climate, when people are becoming so afraid to link to external pages, at what point does the whole thing backfire on Google and begin to degrade their coveted "quality search results" because even so called "natural" links begin to go away?

Most of the directories being penalized don't even sell links! Like Yahoo directory, a quality directory charges to review sites and categorize them so people can find what they are looking for.

IMHO, the "paid link crap" may finally be the chink in Google's armor that enables a new Search Competitor to attack their market share!

domainpubber, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  15. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's like reverse psychology. Many link sellers will nofollow all the non paid external links and leave the paid links as follow. It's an easy strategy on Google's part and makes it extremely easy for them to identify paid links.

snowbird, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  16. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will never be over. Buying PR has an impact on SERPs that is Google doesn't like. They're not suddenly going to say it's okay, let the MFAs buy links and get to #1.

qazu, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  17. domainpubber

Best Answers:
    snowbird; I don't quite follow. If webmasters try to game the algos the way you suggest, then how does G's strategy make it easier for them to identify paid links? People are already getting much smarter about removing site wides, not putting up "Sponsored Links" headings and embedding links within context so that they look more natural.

Just trying to understand your point - I probably misunderstood it ;-)

18. googsmaster

googsmaster Guest

Best Answers:
    i dont think so google have time to spend on each link
    just tell me how they know that this is Paid or free or REAL link ?
    ???

Its just thinking of people

me myself sell the LINKS
    NO PROBLEM for me @

googsmaster, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  19. domainpubber

Best Answers:
  20. silverpot

silverpot Active Member

Best Answers:
    i heard rumors google also considered your adword account to gave you PR.. hahaaa.. so funny.

If google really depends on adwords so freaking $#^$$#!!!

silverpot, Jan 13, 2008 IP