1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is This The End Of Paid Link Crap By Google?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by iPod, Jan 11, 2008.

So, it's that time of the year again. Another PR update! And boy, everyone loves it. If it goes well that is.

I have been browsing through the list of strongest directories on Aviva to see if the strongest directories became stronger or weaker.

Most of them didn't lose or gained any PR. Very few did lose some PR. But comparatively, there are more directories that gained PR.

One major directory got it's PR back to 4. And i guess you know what directory i am talking about when i call it as Major! Also congrats to Mikey's Zorg for getting PR this time. I have also seen some directories getting PR6, and my heartiest congratulations to them. Specially AllInfoDir.com and MyGreenCorner.

So point is....The trend i see this time, is not what we have been seeing in past two three updates. This is definitely not penalization. This is definitely not selling links being wasted. Do you think that Google is done with paid links crap?... It's over? For good?

Also, if your directory got some special PR, then do let us know here in this thread

iPod, Jan 11, 2008 IP
    dtm likes this.
  2. SuperBlog

SuperBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't have a directory, but I do sell links. And my whole site dropped to PR0 this update, so they definitely penalized me. If anything, I should have had PR4 at least this time around.

SuperBlog, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  3. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yep zorg link - PR3 and the directory got PR4! i have checked a few more and twd.in is PR5 among the new ones! my free directory PR3!;)

[About the paid links] i think google or any other search engines should detect every link on it's merit and not by paid or unpaid!:)

uttoransen, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  4. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    All my other directories maintained its PR but shockingly www.emporium-directory.com dropped to PR0 from PR4 even though I have never bought paid links for it. I am not sure why this is happening.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  5. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    Google PR update is always weird. Just waiting for next update and I'm sure it will gain PR again.

hotpop, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  6. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you have not bought, then you will definitely lose the PR;)

Congrats to other dirs.. Dont know what Google is doing ..:rolleyes:

MeetHere, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  7. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, i would say it is not the end of "Paid Link Crap By Google", it is the beginning of PageRank update, thats all. Time will show.

aspidov, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  8. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Update seems to be happening every month now.. and that too a crap one. Just when you will feel things are settled and back to normal, you will see another update. :rolleyes:

My advice would be : Chill and stop talking about pagerank. There are many other things to focus about in the directory industry. :cool:

humm, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    deluxdon and pipes like this.
  9. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is correct. Just keep building content and backlinks, pagerank will follow itself.

aspidov, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  10. hobsonschoice

hobsonschoice Banned

Best Answers:
    i dont think its over yet

i know of a couple of directories that dropped at last update and have lost all pr this time

hobsonschoice, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  11. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No change in any of my directories ,

I think it's back to Normal (PR update) i.e PR Depends on Backlinks

Freewebspace, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  12. zaaylo

zaaylo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are right hotpop,
    Regular Updation may help you (hope so).
    Infect my PR3 directory become now PR4.

zaaylo, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  13. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My bidding directory was slapped from PR4 to PR0 this time, I still feel that this one was a normal update.
    I am waiting for PR on some of my other sites.

Red_Virus, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  14. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    First of all, congrats to all those whose directories maintained or gained the PR love.:p

My result has been horrible. After, I cancelled all paid links, my PR6 directory became PR0:mad: I thought, it would still become PR3/4 after all paid links were cancelled. But Google sucks.

Also, I don't think Google's war on paid links is far from over. They are continuously monitoring busy webmasters forums like DP and punishing sites which are buying selling links.

On the other hand directories don't sell links (except if Home-page) but they list sites after manually reviewing them on the most suitable categories. As long as wee keep our basics right- Google will have no problem with directory business.

PS: My penalized directory did indeed sell links (home-page). Hopefully, my sponsors would now cancel their advertisements and I will try the whole 2008 to restore it to glory again.:cool:

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  15. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sunny, if you remember, i don't even have the PR toolbar installed on my browser. And truly, honestly, i give a damn about PR. Since few months, when directories started losing PR...I did say a final goodbye to PR thing. What i am talking about in this thread is that there were some big directories which Lost pr7 to PR4 and then after manual updates became PR0. Those directories have gained there PR back in this update.
    Based on that ONLY situation, i am talking about paid links being not penalized... ;) Hope you understand what i mean.
    And for focusing on other things in directory industry, i think you very well know that i am never behind.

However, One thing i liked, what you said. Forget about PR. It's good that you think likewise. Recently have been buying links which give me traffic, rather than anything else. So good that you are with me on that.

So this does tell about the standard of editorial that Google guys have been into. Probably they just look for directories and do not care how it's functioning. Sad to know!

How seriously i wish that Google understood the same thing. But Alas!

Wish you good luck with your glory! :)

iPod, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks buddy --

Hopefully, as humans as we are, we are masters of this universe and are equipped to adjust ourselves with any changing environment around us. So will we adjust with the new Google algorithm:D

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  17. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Sharat buddy, I didn't to target my post onto you, I hope you didn't take it that way. ;)

In general I want the `PR´ factor to be kept far far away from directory section. Good to see that you want the same too. :D

humm, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  18. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I only got PR4 this time on my Web Directory and PR2 on my Bidding Directory but both are quite new and also didn't get PR on inner pages. Have to wait for next update I guess. Google as usual...
    What it makes me kind of happy is seeing increased traffic from SE on digidagi - one thing that I didn't see on my earlier established directories.

And why would you want PR factor out of directories section ? PR is one of the main factors of ranking websites, including directories. At least that is what google says on ther website ;)
    Also tell that PR thing to all internet community that PR doesn't matter...sure it does not matter for a "joe with a blog" but it does matter if you are selling...errrr reviewing :D links because with PR you will sell it and without you will not !

iatbm, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  19. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this is not the end of the paid link crap by google because many sites have downgraded in pr so that shows they still have something going on.

smub, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  20. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, this update didn't favor old established directory in general. Backlinks of my directories increased a lot but PR keep same.
    Sorry to hear jhnrang's PR6 directory slapped to PR0, that's too much and I believe it is a manual penalty from Google.

xc06, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    jhnrang likes this.