1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

off to a rough start: istockphoto

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by timsdd, Jan 7, 2008.

1. FB101

FB101 Peon

Best Answers:
    i really like the toothpick and candy pictures, not sure why they were rejected

FB101, Jan 10, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  2. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's b/c they either look too close or too vivid to be "real" and or they just think while they may be kick ass photos :D, they might not make good stock. or I suppose it could be that they are in fact clueless :p

timsdd, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  3. Myr

Myr Member

Best Answers:
    The pictures look pretty good actually, nice job. Kind of weird that they got rejected. I especially liked the gumballs picture.

Myr, Jan 11, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  4. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    they look like gumballs huh. they're actually tiny candy sprinkles - the size of a period on your keyboard!

I have a 2 lens combo where I can get super close to a subject...that's why 4 toothpicks can fill the entire frame!

they actually came back and accepted the sprinkles but only after I created a "scout" ticket...maybe that's when an actual person looks at the files :rolleyes:

timsdd, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  5. photodesign

photodesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I sell stock on almost every microstock site in existence, including istock. I think you need to take a step back from you indignation - istock is one of the most selective sites. They are telling you that one image does not have a focal point regarding the SUBJECT, not actual physical focus. The others - the overfiltered excuse is not a good choice of words, but I'm not surprised they rejected these.

I give away thousands of my own photos (link below). You can't take the rejections too personally. It's going to seem random, and you can't get too excited or offended or you will wear yourself out.

photodesign, Jan 11, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  6. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    very true, I have to set aside my righteous anger and not take things personally (which I tend to do more often than I should! :eek:)

timsdd, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  7. 313i

313i hummmmmm. No clue

Best Answers:
    I just think they don't like you because you have excellent talent in those images. Very well done I would buy them lol

313i, Jan 11, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  8. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    well, all part of a learning process I suppose.
    I am a firm believer in the "everything happens for a reason" mantra, and so far my massive rant has resulted in a group of us starting our own stock site.

If nothing else we'll have some fun, $ will just be a bonus :D

timsdd, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  9. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    istock is very fussy - you need to step back and think how such a photo could be used.

Yes, I submit to 4 stock sites and on 2 of them I get better than 90% acceptance, 1 I get around 60% acceptance and the other one, istock, I get around 30% acceptance and all from the same photos!

Sometimes the ones rejected from one site end up being my biggest sellers at another site so don't give up, submit to as many as you can and from the rejections learn what sort of photos actually sell at each of the sites you submit to.

All you gotta do is to find a niche within the stock and work on it and keep submitting - sound familiar to what you need to do with your websites?

RRWH, Jan 11, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  10. photomaker123

photomaker123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can learn more about stock on:

how-to-sell-photos-online.com

photomaker123, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  11. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll have to check it out ;)

yep, I hear you. It just kinda took me by surprise initially but I "see' it a lot clearer now.

Kinda funny how you've noticed the rejection vs acceptance and the popularity from site to site goes :)

timsdd, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  12. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    Update,

I actually had some success with one file in particular! 18 downloads for this one: [​IMG]

So I was like hey! I had better upload some similar files!!

1[​IMG] 2 [​IMG] 3 [​IMG]

and the dirty whores rejected all 3!!

can you believe that crap?

1) We found the overall composition of this file's lighting could be improved.
    2) We found the overall composition of this file's lighting could be improved.
    3) We found the overall composition of this file's lighting could be improved.

WHAT??

FY istock!

now I know why I wanted to create my own stock site!!

timsdd, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  13. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Take a deep breath and repeat after me... "There's no accounting for taste"....
    They must have an entire team of nitwits rejecting photos over there.

This one's a ripper:
    [​IMG]

Kerosene, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  14. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    no shitstock! I can't imagine how you would submit something artistic, something out of the box, something even remotely creative!!

I don't think the editors are human, they are either a program or a barrel of inbred sea monkeys :rolleyes:

so basically b/c my image does not fit their "profile" my image gets rejected...one I know would sell based on my paltry portfolio of 13 images!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

something F
    something tards

:-D

tks for the pat on the back ;)

timsdd, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  15. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting images accepted at istock is tough - probably the toughest in the business right now. And just wait, because I'm sure that all the microstock sites will be that tough in the coming years.

Each microstock site has thier own criteria for what gets accepted and what doesn't. Shutterstock, for example, hates noisy (grainy) images. But istock will accept some grain, and they actually encourage photographers to add noise to reduce banding.

Don't kill yourself over this. There are plenty of other sites to submit to that pay just as well and aren't as strict (yet).

Norebbo, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  16. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks and good info. while I know there are a lethora of other sites, Ijust haven't pursued them yet but I should.

AND I need to take it with a grain of salt if thy seem to be off their rocker as far as rejecting something I find perfectly fine!

------------------------------

On the other hand, look at these ass in the hats:

We regret to inform you that we cannot accept your submission, entitled UT Tower #1 ( http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6715081/2/istockphoto_6715081-ut-tower-1.jpg) for addition to the iStockphoto library for the following reasons:

The following keywords used for this file do not appear to be fully relevant to the subject.

Tards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Furthermore the bastards say I cannot resubmit the file!! What the hell????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

timsdd, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  17. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    true to form I submitted my 15 picture limit recently and of course the *** in the hats rejected 66% of them.

I know I shouldn't let it get to me but check out this load of bunk (see attached):

"We found this file over filtered from its original appearance/quality."

WTF! this of course is a street lamp, a 1% section of the entire photo....and OF COURSE it was not filtered in any way shape or form.

the orig

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

timsdd, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  18. photodesign

photodesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, they have to come up with something other than: "We don't think this is a photo that will ever sell." Looks like you got the "overfiltered" excuse this time. I don't even look at the reasons anymore - I just say "oh well" and move on.

photodesign, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  19. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear you...but ironic thing is that my best seller is directly related to the ones that are being rejected!!! so they are flat out screwing me b/c I know these other ones would sell just fine! :rolleyes:

timsdd, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  20. levampire

levampire Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like they are DORKS

Chill out tim ..

When 2012 comes, Make sure to bomb their building before it ends ;)

levampire, Aug 28, 2008 IP
    timsdd likes this.